Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Poll: Which Special Cover Gimmick Do you Want To See Make a Comeback Next?

Which Special Cover Gimmick Do you Want To See Make a Comeback Next?

With Marvel offering chromium covers for "Age of Ultron," DC bringing the die-cut cover back for "Death of the Family," the embossed cover on "Batman: Year Zero" and 3D covers for Villains Month, which 1990s cover gimmick should be next to make a comeback?

Vote on the poll here.

They forgot the "None of the Above" option because gimmicks are awful. If they want to attract readers all they need to do is make good comics. Gimmicks Be Damned.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

I want to see the return of the $1.50 cover price gimmick. (I know it isn't fiscally possible but it sure would be most welcome)

D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!

How about the "Good Stories" gimmick where every bad creator is fired and everything is actually enjoyable to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    They forgot the "None of the Above" option because gimmicks are awful. If they want to attract readers all they need to do is make good comics. Gimmicks Be Damned.
    If that was true books like Dial H, Frankenstein and Demon Knights wouldn't be cancelled then, would they?

I legit want to see more of the foil embossed covers and glow-in-the-dark covers. Not every month, not as incentives or anything. Just when story appropriate. Like, the Age of Ultron foil covers are pretty cool, even if the story is kinda crap.

As long as they aren't detracting from the story or anything, I don't see any problem with gimmick covers. They're fun! They draw your attention to a comic juts like a cover should, and they do it as effectively as any "Stop! You must buy this comic!" spouting Flash could.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    If that was true books like Dial H, Frankenstein and Demon Knights wouldn't be cancelled then, would they?
    Nail, meet hammer.

Sad but true.
    Last edited by havok1977; 06-06-2013 at 01:54 PM.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

I really liked that gimmick of DC not driving away all it's talent. That was fun...
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

For the record I actually find having a stupid number of variants to be more of a gimmick than a fold-out cover or 3D or whatever. The latter is really just done to catch your eye when they're on the shelf- so it can bring in people who wouldn't normally look at that comic. The former is done to encourage people who do buy that comic to buy multiple copies of each issue.

None of the Above.

I also vote "None of the Above"

None of the above
    Good stories without editorial interference
    Pricing consumers can afford
    Series that don't crossover
    Artists that can do a single issue more than 3 times in a row
    Comics that don't ship every week
    Comics that don't ship every 3 months
    Women
    People of Color

None of the above

the only one that doesn't make me nauseous is Glow in the Dark, because you can actually do some cool, character related stuff with it, ala Ghostrider.

the Chromium covers (Ash, and i think Turok???) were actually kind of cool, in that they really made the art pop.

but truly, none of the above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadenewt View Post
    I want to see the return of the $1.50 cover price gimmick. (I know it isn't fiscally possible but it sure would be most welcome)

I'd settle for $1.99 or even $2.50

============ Just say "NO!" to $4 books. ============

Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    I really liked that gimmick of DC not driving away all it's talent. That was fun...
    Amen to that!!