Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Swamp Thing 21 DISCUSSION and SPOILERS

Well, Jesus Saiz and Matt Wilson are a match made in heaven. Gorgeous, gorgeous artwork.

Charles Soule continues to demonstrate rock solid craft as he gives us a bit of a story and a lot of hints for the future in one issue. I appreciate the mythology building; nice to see the world of the Green Avatars expanded a bit, and I thought it was all well done.

I will say that the voice he gives Alec - very colloquial, conversational - is a struggle for me, still. It makes sense, and it's his own direction, but it's hard to reconcile that with the alien language of the Swamp Thing I'm so used to.

Still good, solid stuff with striking imagery. Could be bigger, more creative, etc but I'll take this characterful, slow build approach any day. And Capucine is an intriguing new character, too.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Man, this was great. Sanctuarium Folium Viride!
    "By the way, how would have this forum reacted if it was Cyclops waiting Eva Bell after the showering?" - Graconius

It's a shame Saiz isn't staying on as the regular artist. This issue was gorgeous!

Digging the "evil johny appleseed" vibe I'm getting from The Seeder off the last page.
    mod of r/TheDark, for news and discussion of The Dark line and related titles.

More apt than you know, Man-Thing.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Man this issue was great. Love where Soule's going with Swampy, color me pleased.

Great issue. Like others have said Soule's direction is different but even just a couple issues in I really dig it. I really liked Kano's art but I like Saiz as well. Looks like the two will be switching back and forth over the next few issues. Anyone know why?
    Ever-changing Pulls
    DC - Batman, Aquaman, JL, JLD, JLA, Flash, Constantine, Supes Unchaned, Swampy, Wake
    Image - Saga
    Dark Horse - Star Wars

this was a beautiful comic and a really good story
    . I'm actually excited again about where they're taking Swamp Thing. can't wait for the next issue

Please keep Jesus Saiz on this book! Why is this guy not getting any regular work? He did such fantastic work on Manhunter and Birds of Prey.

I thought Soule's first issue was a little off, but his writing style is quickly growing on me.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

I enjoyed this issue. At first I wasn't too crazy about the way Soule was writing Swampy's inner monologue, but I'm starting to warm up to it. Been loving Kano's art, but Saiz killed it this issue. Would love to see more of him when Kano needs a rest.

Quote Originally Posted by hobogunn View Post
    Please keep Jesus Saiz on this book! Why is this guy not getting any regular work? He did such fantastic work on Manhunter and Birds of Prey.

I thought Soule's first issue was a little off, but his writing style is quickly growing on me.
    He is getting regular work, he's just slow. Hopefully he and Kano will alternate on Swamp Thing -- they should both be able to handle that.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

easily my favorite book this week. best DC book and best book i read overall.

i feel Soule had Swampy down cold and the art was just awesome.

so glad this book has turned a corner after the endless Rotworld crap. what the hell was Snyder thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
    so glad this book has turned a corner after the endless Rotworld crap. what the hell was Snyder thinking?
    He was probably thinking that this type of mega-arc has been done by most of the other authors to hit the title, starting with Moore and continuing on through Millar. It's a fairly standard Swamp Thing arc where some time is spent building up a threat, Swampy is separated form the rest of the cast and has to travel, eventually finding his way back home.

Moore did it twice, first with the Parliament arc and then with the Planets arc.
    Veitch did it with the time travel arc.
    Wheeler did it with his Matango arc.
    Millar did it with his elementals arc.

I can see how it seemed like a safe bet out of the gate.
    Last edited by Man-Thing; 06-06-2013 at 10:49 AM.
    mod of r/TheDark, for news and discussion of The Dark line and related titles.

I just picked up and read Soule's Swamp Thing issues and they are amazing! While I think Kano's artwork is near perfect, I loved Saiz' artwork on this issue as well. I think the dialogue is great in that it is very natural to read. I think it's good that this book has become less of that overt horror from the Snyder run and more mysterious so as to keep that dark vibe; I think it's a great combination of fun and dark that really makes this a pleasure for me to read. Does anyone know what significance the 'Murder Poet' was supposed to have? That's one thing I couldn't figure out; who that was supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Man-Thing View Post
    He was probably thinking that this type of mega-arc has been done by most of the other authors to hit the title, starting with Moore and continuing on through Millar. It's a fairly standard Swamp Thing arc where some time is spent building up a threat, Swampy is separated form the rest of the cast and has to travel, eventually finding his way back home.

Moore did it twice, first with the Parliament arc and then with the Planets arc.
    Veitch did it with the time travel arc.
    Wheeler did it with his Matango arc.
    Millar did it with his elementals arc.

I can see how it seemed like a safe bet out of the gate.
    Exactly, it's been done. And I liked the story too, but I can see where somebody else would get bogged down with the length since it was also tied to an equally long Animal Man story.

Is this going to be shorter arcs? Synder wrote a great swampthing and he put a lot of thought into it but those super arcs just start to lose me as a floppy reader but seeing people enthusing about the story and the art + parliament of trees has me interested again.

Peer pressure me and i will crack
    "...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.