Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Action Comics, #21

Superman is betrayed by his own DNA! And in the backup story, learn The New 52 origin of The Parasite!

Full article here.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Not feelinn' it.

I love Tony Daniels artwork. Also, I really like Dr Veritas ... she's a cool and intriguing supporting character; hopefully, we find out more about her and get more stories featuring her

Quote Originally Posted by davidgrantlloyd View Post
    I love Tony Daniels artwork
    Ditto, he did an awesome job on these issues

Virginia, United States Of 'Merica, bitches!!!

I just went to comixology and ACTION #21 isn't up yet, but Green Lantern #21 and the other DC new releases are up already. Wonder what's up?

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I just went to comixology and ACTION #21 isn't up yet, but Green Lantern #21 and the other DC new releases are up already. Wonder what's up?
    I was wondering that myself. Has this happened before?

Kinda weird that the last page was just a GIANT (beautiful) ad for Astro City.
    Please pardon any aggressive auto-correct feature typos.

Felt a bit like a classic (or if you prefer, cliche) Superman story. Only couple twists from the typical stories were that Lois didn't need to be saved, and of course she ended up with Jonathan (which we already know by now). Nothing great, nothing terrible.

EDIT: Wait, so there's going to be another crossover event in all of the Super books again? I thought H'El on Earth was alright, but this seems too soon.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 06-05-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Well, the World of Krypton back up was really good again, however the main story was really disappointing. Pretty art, but the story was bleh. Anti-climactic, and didn't include what I had hoped in regards to the fight that produced Lex and Superman's scars. I do like the chemistry Daniel writes with the Daily Planet Scooby Gang of Clark, Lois, and Jimmy though.

As for Psi-War, I was under the impression that Action, like Supergirl, was not partaking in it. The space story next month seems to have precedence over the HIVE stuff, which I'd imagine will just get a mention.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-05-2013 at 09:10 PM.

While the art was beautiful the main story was rather boring. Really enjoyed the back up though. I'm just sad I won't get to see how it turns out since im skipping Brain Games or Mind Wars or whatever the hell it's called.

BANNED

I agree with you, Tony Daniel's artwork in this this issue was fantastic as always. It is a shame that the Diggle and Daniel team is no longer on the book and been replaced with the lesser team of lobdell and Kirkham. I would have thought that with a marketing campaign for Man of Steel that DC would get its Superman house in order and keep quality writers and artists together and they missed the ball with this one.

While execution is always a question with Lobdell, all of the ideas he's implemented since joining the team have been more interesting than this Hybrid idea. I don't want to judge Diggle TOO harshly because he didn't pen the entire thing, but the basics of the idea were his, and it was just eh. Really the only high points of this arc (aside from the great art) were Lois and Jimmy, in my view.

BANNED

I disagree with you as Action 19 was the sort of Superman story that I like. From what I have read of Lobdell's work he prefers more intergalactic threats rather than earth-bound challenges for Superman from the Reign of Doomsday to From He'll and we are going to see this again with the next couple of issues of Action Comics when intergalatic visitors come a visiting again. These kinds of story arcs are getting long in the tooth for me and are a staple diet of Lobdells work. They are fine every once in a while but not for every story arc that Lobdell produces. Having said that I thought Reign of Doomsday and From He'll were enjoyable I just don't want to see them all the time and Diggle's issue of Action was a welcome relief for me. When you have a big intergalactic story arc you miss the opportunity to explore the other characters like Jimmy and Lois, I think that the supporting characters have been left behind since the new52 began, whereas this is not the case for the Batman books.

As for Tyler Kirkham's artwork I have not seen enough of it to say whether I like it or not but what I have seen has not been visually great as Tony Daniel's artwork is on a consistent basis, having Batt as the inker might improve things but I am not confident. Admittedly I am a big Tony Daniel fan so I am a little biased in this regard. Ultimately comics are a visual medium and you reall need to have quality artists working on your books which Superman and Action Comics have not had since the new 52 began, Rocafort has been a welcome addition but Rags Morales and from what I have seen of Kirkham's work are not at a high quality standard for me.

I'll miss daniels when he's gone he did a solid job here story wise and his art was great.

Considering the internal problems over this story, Daniel did a good job, I bet he didn't want to write, but he did write and that was noble on his behalf, finishing what probably would have been six issues under a tight Lobdell ass filled schedule.