Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default "Forever Evil" - DC Comics' Bad Guys Take Over in September

With a 3D-motion cover, "Forever Evil" spins out of the events of DC Comics' "Trinity War" crossover in September, as Geoff Johns and Dave Finch helm the New 52's first linewide crossover event.

Full article here.

Well, I was sort of right in a way. I predicted and guessed that at one point Geoff Johns will hand over the reigns of Justice League of America to Matt Kindt, though I thought it would be for good. Well he still took over the title, even for a little bit.

Regardless, looks like fun to me. I'll probably be sticking to the ones I usually get though.

Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

Sounds fun!
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

Well, more Matt Kindt is certainly a great thing. No complaints there. Especially if, as rumored, "Legion" is being absorbed by the Justice League line...Kindt making a name for himself within that line is a great, great thing.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I know it's probably just me, but this sounds really bloody boring.

I mean, two years into the New 52 and many of the heroes haven't yet had a great story written for them. And some of the books - even after two years! - are still finding their footing.
    And now we're supposed to want to read about the villains?

Didn't the almost total failure of the 'Edge' line AND the books that replaced them, indicate to DC that readers don't particularly care for a lot of grimdark in their comics?

PLEASE DC! Forget the gimmicks and crossovers and just give us some good long term storytelling!!!

(Obligatory 'Marvel NOW is the New 52 done right addendum')
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

So sick of gimmicks...
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 06-03-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Jacking up their prices across the entire line for a cheesy gimmick seems like a very bad move. It certainly won't motivate me to pick up anything extra from DC and might in fact dissuade me from getting some of my usual books. And I bet the folks at Marvel are having a very hearty chuckle at the fact that DC is doing an entire "Point One" month.

As for Finch on Forever Evil, I wish his artwork wasn't looking so lacking lately.

This sounds good to me.

Boring ? How often do we get comics with the villains getting the spotlight ? Not often enough.

I liked the fifth week event years ago similar to this with villain one-shots of Prometheus, Mxyzptlk, Body Doubles, etc.

Only thing : Please someone kill White Rabbit. I can't stand that character.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

sounds like a bloddy mess...

i wonder who will be the villain in books like the Movement or the Green Team...
    Comic Book Deaths 2012
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7SvM6adTeY

Bring back Ultimate DAZZLER!!

Can't believe how horrible the new Creeper is.

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    Boring ? How often do we get comics with the villains getting the spotlight ? Not often enough.
    It's boring to me because I haven't been given a reason to care bout these villains yet.
    Take Lex Luthor: we still haven't had a major plotline in a New 52 Superman comic centred around Luthor. He's only popped up in the fringes of some stories.
    But we do know that he has a new backstory, and we don't know any of it. We don't know how he first came to despise Superman, what he first scheme to defeat him was, or any of that.

If they had run this event in a few years, after all these villains had had a chance to buildup some backstory, it might have been interesting.

And seriously, who wants to read about, say, Desaad or Creeper?
    It's just like with the Voodoo, Team 7 or Vibe books (to sample a few): DC launching characters in their own books as if they expected an audience is waiting for them, while ignoring the fact that it takes years of good monthly stories to build up a fan base for a character.

You can't just dump all these essentially new characters on people in a blaze of tacky gimmicky publicity and expect readers to care.
    Last edited by Cowtools; 06-03-2013 at 06:42 AM.
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

Wow, this idea is almost as bad as the horrible artwork that accompanies the article.
    You want I should bop you with this lollipop?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    It's boring to me because I haven't been given a reason to care bout these villains yet.
    Take Lex Luthor: we still haven't had a major plotline in a New 52 Superman comic centred around Luthor. He's only popped up in the fringes of some stories.
    But we do know that he has a new backstory, and we don't know any of it. We don't know how he first came to despise Superman, what he first scheme to defeat him was, or any of that.

If they had run this event in a few years, after all these villains had had a chance to buildup some backstory, it might have been interesting.

And seriously, who wants to read about, say, Desaad or Creeper?
    It's just like with the Voodoo, Team 7 or Vibe books (to sample a few): DC launching characters in their own books as if they expected an audience is waiting for them, while ignoring the fact that it takes years of good monthly stories to build up a fan base for a character.

You can't just dump all these essentially new characters on people in a blaze of tacky gimmicky publicity and expect readers to care.

I started reading with the Nu52 and I'd disagree with you here.

1.Luthor's backstory on why he hates superman is already been told in action comics. He's simply afraid of what Superman represents in the face of humanity. He was a pretty integral part to the first AC story and I hear the current one as well. He's the protagonist of Forever Evil so his back story might be fleshed out.

You don't necessarily need to build up backstory for a good villain tale. A good story should provide some of that for you in what's the characters motivations. I mean some of my favorite issues have been one off tales. Mister Freeze is my favorite Batman villain and I've only seen a few things with him in it but I know his basic backstory.

People already reading said books would want to read about Dessad or Creeper. That's a big ass generalization your making there. I mean I've been reading Earth-2 and keeping tabs on World's Finest. Seeing Dessad on Earth-2 makes me want to pick up world's finest as it looks like Peeg and Huntress are going back to earth-2.
    Dc: Action Comics/Animal Man/Swamp Thing/Earth-2/Green Arrow/Batman/Threshold/Batwoman/Justice League/Green Lantern/Teen Titans/Superman/Justice League Dark/I,Vampire.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    So sick of gimmicks...
    Well, define gimmick. It IS part of an event. If you're tired of line-wide events, well, we haven't really had one in two years. The gimmick you're talking about could be the covers though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    Take Lex Luthor: we still haven't had a major plotline in a New 52 Superman comic centred around Luthor. He's only popped up in the fringes of some stories. But we do know that he has a new backstory, and we don't know any of it. We don't know how he first came to despise Superman, what he first scheme to defeat him was, or any of that.
    You should pick up the first New 52 Action Comics trade. It's in there.

To the extent that you want it to be elaborated upon: I think this is the point at which it's being elaborated on. So they are literally giving you what you asked for.