Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Adventures of Superman, #1

Don't miss the debut of this all-new series starring The Man of Steel, written and illustrated by some of comics' finest talents!

Witness Superman's first encounter with the work of Lex Luthor, brought to you by Jeff Parker (Hulk) and Chris Samnee (Daredevil)! Also, Bizarro has his worst (best?) day ever, penned by Justin Jordan with art by fan-favorite Riley Rossmo! Plus, from the mind of Jeff Lemire comes Superman vs. Brainiac! Or is it Luthor? Or Zod?? Find out in this month's issue!

Full article here.

ugh...$3.99...but it's Samnee...but it's $3.99...

but Samneeeeee...

maybe once I get paid I'll pick it up.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

It was a fun comic, brilliant move from DC. I liked the first story a lot, wish it was a story arc. Gorgeous. The second pretty cool overall, but I'd rather read a story than an homage. The third was my favorite, Jordan does humor very well.
    4/9: Iron Fist, Flash Gordon, Doop, Magnus, Superboy, Shutter, Judge Dredd, Ghost Rider, Secret Avengers, X-Factor

This is the first mention of meth I remember reading in a Superman comic...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

The Bizarro one was the only one that truly hit the sweet spot for me, story-wise (Parker did do well with what he had in his own tale, though).

The creepy last 2 pages Lemire put in his own effort really rather deflated it, though. It could have been a decent 'kids play at being their fave superguys'-type story, but that last shot rendered it an almost JMS-level failure at touching the heart.

I really liked the Lemire story. It was cool seeing his unique art in a Superman comic.

My problem with superman is he is like John Cena in the sense he always has the belt. Thats why event the companies own crowd always boos him

The cover alone convinced me to pick this up. Superman in the classic costume. This is the character I enjoy reading about, rather than the New 52 iteration. I didn't know about the digital first comic, so the reprint book on the shelves this week came as a welcome surprise.

The first story is by Jeff Parker and Chris Samnee (the artist from Daredevil, which is why the art looked so familiar to me). Set in the post-Crisis, pre New 52 continuity, it features the best art of the three stories, with Superman trying to stop a mentally unstable vagrant who has gained dangerous mental powers. The guy is known locally for drug abuse, but someone gave him something far worse. No points for guessing that the culprit turns out to be Lex Luthor, who notes that results on the substance he gave the man are improving.

The second story is written, drawn and colored by Jeff Lemire. I can only assume the very “loose” art style is meant to complement the subject matter. The story follows two kids who are playing Superman versus whoever, with the one kid constantly switching between villains, going from robots in the Fortress of Solitude to Brainiac to Bizarro to Luthor, and on and on, until the story ends and the two go to get something to eat. Brainiac and Luthor’s designs place this pre-Crisis, not that it’s terribly important. On the other hand, one of the kids mentions Bane, who is clearly post-crisis. A prime example of the "out of continuity" nature of this series.

The final story is by Justin Jordan and Riley Rossmo, and is a pretty standard Bizarro story where Bizarro’s backwards speech causes all the problems. Because people ask for help, Bizarro hurts them, until Superman figures out how to talk to him in language he understands. The ending is fun… Bizarro is sent off to fly around Jupiter so NASA can photograph the planet in fine detail, with Bizarro convinced he’s “hurting” people now.

I’m delighted to be able to buy a Superman comic featuring the version (or versions) of the character I like so much. It’s a lightweight read, with wildly varying art, but well worth it. It's a Superman book that's largely free of continuity, with the most archetypal aspects of the character and his enemies brought to the forefront to tell some short and to the point stories.
    Last edited by andersonh1; 06-02-2013 at 11:37 AM.

The power of the rainbow. jade_nova's Avatar

I love the Bizarro story. I'm surprised nothing like that has ever been done before.
    "Here's to me and here's to you. If we should ever disagree, then here's to me and to hell with you," William O. Astle 1905-2002

"Damn you, Harlot! Science and I know what we're doing," Reed Richards

http://captain-smiley.livejournal.com/-Here be Countdown summaries.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Samnee on art, I'm sold.

Been looking forward to picking up this suckah.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_nova View Post
    I love the Bizarro story. I'm surprised nothing like that has ever been done before.
    It's a brilliant concept for a title. I am loving AOS in this incarnation.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuastar View Post
    ugh...$3.99...but it's Samnee...but it's $3.99...

but Samneeeeee...

maybe once I get paid I'll pick it up.
    It's 30 pages of story for $3.99.

bought it today. good read, pretty good art, worth the extra dollar!

Got it last week. Real good comic, but my least favorite bit was actually the end of the first story. I've always despised the "Kingpin" version of Lex Luthor, and so blaming this action on him just sort of hurt the whole tale. That said, I enjoyed everything up to that point and everything that happened afterwards. Well, the end of the second story was sure weird, but the Bizarro story more than made up for it. That might have been the best Bizarro story I've ever read.