Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

That's Marvel for you. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    That's Marvel for you. ^^
    It KIND OF is. Marvel does tend to like them flawed.

Even Spidey initially was kind of an @$$... though today he's largely considered one of the moral compass of the MU (or at least he was prior to the Doc Oc stuff).

He is the crossover sensation but I'd say the situation is similar to how Superman remains the flagship character for DC while Batman is more popular across all media. I know Iron Man isn't at the Batman level but I wouldn't be surprised if that became the case eventually. Maybe Wolverine's next solo film does nearly as well but I somehow doubt that it will do Iron Man numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellman View Post
    He is the crossover sensation but I'd say the situation is similar to how Superman remains the flagship character for DC while Batman is more popular across all media. I know Iron Man isn't at the Batman level but I wouldn't be surprised if that became the case eventually. Maybe Wolverine's next solo film does nearly as well but I somehow doubt that it will do Iron Man numbers.
    Yeah, Stark could be Marvels Batman.

As I sort of said earlier, I think that will depend on whether the main draw for the movies was actually the Iron Man character, or just Robert Downey Jr. potraying him. Batman is Batman regardless of who plays him... but with Iron Man at this point it's a bit less clear.

Spider of the Shadows Assassin Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It KIND OF is. Marvel does tend to like them flawed.

Even Spidey initially was kind of an @$$... though today he's largely considered one of the moral compass of the MU (or at least he was prior to the Doc Oc stuff).
    Yeah, he was, but it did come with the territory of being an alienated teenager who was a punching bag for his more popular peers just because he had different interests from them and a punching bag for the media (as represented by J. Jonah Jameson) and law enforcement because he did things his way and refused to knuckle under to the system. (Given the 1960s counterculture and all.) And the reason he's considered pretty much the most solid moral compass in the MU besides Captain America is that he, like so many of us in real life, actually matured as a hero, a person, and a character, gained some perspective, and didn't carry as big a chip on his shoulder as he used to.

The movie Iron Man is a great character because he fundamentally did the same thing --- he also matured as a hero, a person, and a character throughout the course of the movies he appeared/starred in, growing from a shallow hedonist who could care less about the consequences of his inventions so long as he made money off them to maintain his extravagant lifestyle to someone who appreciated the responsibilities a man of his genius and stature had to the world and the people around him and strove to live up to them despite his failings in the past. That element of growth and progression and actual maturation shared between the movie Iron Man and most versions of Spider-Man is to me the major storytelling theme of the Marvel Universe and even shines through in some of the more recent ideas like the Avengers Academy, the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning, the Future Foundation, and even Spider-Man's ill-fated run with Alpha as his sidekick. To me, the overarching theme with those concepts is what this generation of heroes owes to the next generation, given that Civil War could possibly be interpreted as showing the worst possible outcome of when the older generation leaves the younger generation to its own devices without real guidance.

Alas, as others have noted here, Marvel's stubborn dedication to regression and stagnation in the case of characters like Spider-Man and Iron Man (undoing Peter's longstanding marriage to Mary Jane with One More Day, and "rebooting" Iron Man so that he's "no longer accountable" for his actions in Civil War and onward even though he went on to claim that he'd do the same things if given the chance to redo those events and later did even worse in the current New Avengers) puts the lie to that theme of progress and maturation I was just talking about, if that's what they're going to do with their flagship characters. It's really quite a shame.
    Back in black, the hunter is ready to claim his prey.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Replacing Spider-Man as the flagship character is sort of like Disney replacing Micky Mouse.

Yes, there are Disney characters who have had bigger more sucessful movies and cartoons. Really, what was the last thing Micky was even really used in? But he's still the iconic face of the company. Spidey is the same for marvel.
    Well said. You won't find a bigger Tony Stark fan than me, but Spidey is and always will be the flagship character of Marvel. People know who Iron Man is since the first movie came out in 2008, but Spidey has been world renown way before then.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Wellman View Post
    Are you sure with Superman beeing DC's flagship character? He might still be the most known Superhero in the world, but I would strongly consider the possibility that Batman has already become DC's flagship hero. Look at all the comics and movies beeing released and all the success Batman has had since the late 80's compared to Superman. As for Disney: you have the Mouse, but the most popular characters are Donald & Uncle Scrooge. Micky is not more than a sort of "welcome-waving Disneyland puppet" compared to Donald. Micky and Superman are both the most recognizable characters, but compared to Batman and Donald, they're both boring. Sorry to sound harsh, I like both of them actually.
    Reading: Deathnote, Batman by Morrison

hmmmm yup I can't get myself to care.

that is all.