Default Hardback vs Paperback

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB. View Post
    Lately I've been looking closely at my paperbacks and I find them so much more comfortable to read that I thought I should ask: Paperback or Hardback?

I only buy collected editions, and usually try to buy the best one available, but I think I'm not giving enough credit to TPBs (and the cheaper price tag certainly doesn't hurt).
    I know some of you guys only buy floppies, but for the others what do you think about this? Do you try to stick with the big Omnibii, the oversized Deluxes and Absolutes, TPB's or HC?
    I posted this on the classic forum and thought it would be fun to ask here. I guess this also applies to regular books.
    What format do you prefer when it comes to reading time (I guess kindle should also be included here?)?

a Hard back copy of the lord of the rings will kill a zombie....your argument is invalided.
    Cyclops ad portas

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

I'm almost entirely digital, these days. It's just too convenient.

If I want an archival copy, I go hardback, but I don't have the space for many more physical items.
    Expletive Deleted

I am moving toward digital, reading a lot more in this format. Otherwise, it is usually used paperbacks or the rare hardback.
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

Just a few cards short :P bastetsha's Avatar

I am mostly digital but I prefer hardback books. My kindle is just much easier to take with me to places. For the books that I would like to re-read, I go ahead and buy them in hardback. That way if I have to go somewhere I can't take my kindle, I have a back up.

Paperback, i don't like much hardcover.

Whatever I can get cheapest. But since most of what I'm reading lately are paperback originals there's that.

Paperback books are more comfortable to deal with when I read.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

I view hardbacks as something of a luxury (in a good sense), because they're usually more expensive and need more shelf space. But some titles just beg the best edition possible.

The decline and fall of the Roman empire in softcover? Nevah!
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    Whatever I can get cheapest.
    This ... not to mention which format happens to be avaiable when I want it. At the used store near my house, hcs actually tend to go for a bit cheaper than pbs, I guess because the latter are more in demand & turn over a lot faster & thus are priced pretty strictly at half cover price. That can translate into $4 or so for a recent pb, with the hc of the same book going for half that.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I buy ebooks and paperbacks but when I really enjoy something I'll splurge for the hardcover upgrade. I also like to get the hardcover for series that I enjoy and when I cannot wait for the paperback version to be released.

Veteran Member

I tend to go for paperbacks when possible because they're usually cheaper and take up less space. If I lived on the mansion on the hill with a library on the second floor in addition to my book-lined study I'd probably have all the hardcovers I could find.

The last few years I even find myself going for the pocket-size rather than trade paperback when there's a choice, again for reasons of space. Plus they're easier to carry around.

Paperback.