Cyclops was right! The Avenging X-man's Avatar

Default Scientific or Logical explanations for the powers of mutants.

The X-books have shown a variety of different and unique characters, and with them, different and unique powers.

Although awesome, many of these mutant powers make no sense whatsoever. How Tempus control time and how can Storm control weather?
    Some explanations have been given for certain characters such as Cyclops, where it is explained that his eyes are linked to another dimension through tiny portals created by his x-gene(logical enough I suppose?), and some characters, such as beast, mutations are not to far fetched to have to be explained.

Although "Cosmic gene by the celestials" can be used as an explanation for virtually anything, I'd like to hear in depth descriptions. So if you could create a scientific or logical explanation for the powers of each of your favorite x-men, what would they be?

For Triage I would say his ability sped up the reproduction of cells in a controlled manner in which in repairs damaged tissue.
    Blue Team

BANNED

Wrong. Triage is a quantum manipulator. He's taking body parts from other quantum realities. We've already had several threads about this.

"Before you save anyone else, you have to save yourself."
    ~Gregory Maguire

Cyclops was right! The Avenging X-man's Avatar

Oh yea, no magic mutants, cause well yea. But you can use magic as an explanation if there's enough evidence.(like storm).
    Blue Team

I always thought the powers an mutant gains is based upon the situation they are in

Example: Gained telepathy when she was almost killed by a group of thugs. This power help her have the thugs killed each other instead. Years later during the massacre in Genosha, Emma gained a diamond form for protection. Frenzy, another example. Enduring years of abuse from her father, Joanna gained the mutant ability of super strength and nearly invulnerable skin

While I believe that the case for most mutants, other just gain power that is just simply unexplainable. Like Storm, Rogue, Kitty. Also some mutant powers depend on their parents
    "That's how it happened on Earth 141 where BOTA was written by Headmasters Claremont, Milligan and Carey." - Jarrod

Scientific explanation is stretching it. :)

I think Kitty's is attributed to unstable molecules as well as their movement and spacing or some such thing. The protein in her molecular structure is mutated in such a way to replace solids with air and thus phase. That same structure allows her to walk on air.

Wolverine's healing factor (or any other character with a healing factor) is a particularly aggressive mutation of white blood cells in greater number than normal as well as mutated liver enzymes or something like that. They attack any abnormal substance introduced into the body and speed normal cell regeneration. (All that is from the Weapon X novel.)

Nightcrawler's is from Azazel and he has a genetic predisposition to be connected to other outlying dimensions, not just the one he teleports through. His ability to become invisible in shadows as well as always appearing to be in shadows even when he wasn't was explained as him only being partially present in the main physical dimension at any given time. (That would be a really easy way to retcon the character's death, if anyone at Marvel still remembers it.)

I haven't read about Ororo's being explained, but maybe it could be based on something similar to how certain people are natural conduits for electricity -- you know, like an extreme form of people who always seem to fight with static electricity or can't keep a watch that they wear running because of something in their metabolism -- the watches short out.

Maybe Magneto's is a mutated iron factor in his blood or the like.

Interesting thought on these, regardless.
    Last edited by Sundowhn; 05-26-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Veteran Member

Way back in Stan Lee's day, wasn't genetic mutation explained by being exposed to radiation or some sort of nuclear energy?