Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default USER_REVIEW: Journey Into Mystery, #652

Valerio Schitti draws it, Kathryn Immonen writes it and I enjoy it: "Journey Into Mystery" #652 brings Beta Ray Bill back into the lives of the Asgardians, particularly Sif's life.

Full article here.

It's a real shame that this book is so underappreciated.

It's a consistently entertaining read, and the art/colors are gorgeous.

It really is unfortunate. It's definitely improved with each subsequent issue. Immonen also does well capturing the voices of the myriad Marvel characters that show up, Asgardian and otherwise. The art team is top-notch as well.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

I completely disagree with the reviewer. I thought this comic was boring as hell and terribly written. More at my weekly review column http:// http://www.renderwrx.net/apps/blog/
    I do think the art is nice. The covers are beautiful, but with a nearly vacant story the art can do only so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Render View Post
    I thought this comic was boring as hell and terribly written.
    I can't say I found it boring, but I do think it takes too long to get to where it wants to go, and doesn't end at a great point. That said, the conversation at the end is the best thing in the comic.

This is the type of comic that is deplorable to read in single issue form. As a collected storyarc in trade paperback form it will probably read ok, but sold like this it's garbage. Sorry to be blunt, I know Kathryn Immonen is just doing what she's told, but as someone who never read this comic before and wanted to give it a try, this issue comes off as a warning to never buy this again.

Even in trade paperback it's going to read rather vacant. I know Mrs. Immonen is new to the game and maybe she'll get better if she wrote something for a company where it's not required to write in 5 issue storyarcs, but I'm going to avoid her work for the foreseeable future.

Well, could be worse.

Could be Avengers Arena. ;)

I stop making those jabs when that book gets good. (cancelled = good) But still, point: is there any modern book that ISN'T decompressed? At least somewhat? I don't know how many comics you CAN read just on a single issue and find them good. Action heavy stuff perhaps but if you want a character focused book, a touch of decompression is the price of admission. And I don't think this is any worse than even some of the action heavy stuff. Guardians of the Galaxy gave me two issues with pointless action and minimalistic stakes. This gave me clear set up, well done and in half the time. Slow, but well done, and hardly 'vacant' at all. (unless all you wanted was action scenes rather than that boring 'character' stuff ;) :P)

Even with Arena to be fair. It being decompressed isn't actually one of my problems with that book, it's the right call. Hopeless isn't executing it right, IMO, but he had the right idea there.

This one boring book.... I tried to read it I really did but eh...

it was better when it was about loki

The first 5 issues were garbage in terms of story. The art was top-notch from the beggining and it continues to be excellent.

But the last 2 have some promise to them, let's see how the next 3 issues or so develop. Although my guess is that cancellation is right on the next corner.