Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Green Lantern, #20

As Geoff Johns brings his nearly-decade-long stint of writing the adventures of DC Comics' various Lanterns to a close, "Green Lantern" #20
    delivers the comic book equivalent of a standing ovation in the form of an impressive, oversized finale.

Full article here.

BANNED

Doug Mahnke's ART really is wonderful. But Geoff Johns writing? Come on. As the DC Universe continues its inevitable decline, one can't help wonder what would have happened if those who ran DC had chosen a better writer to fall in love with. DC could have stolen Chris Claremont or they could have used Jerry Ordway more.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by il Mysterio View Post
    Doug Mahnke's ART really is wonderful. But Geoff Johns writing? Come on. As the DC Universe continues its inevitable decline, one can't help wonder what would have happened if those who ran DC had chosen a better writer to fall in love with. DC could have stolen Chris Claremont or they could have used Jerry Ordway more.
    First you dish Geoff Johns and then praise Chris Claremont, does not compute.

Also, the link doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by il Mysterio View Post
    Is it really that hard for you to accept the fact that people actually like Geoff Johns' writing? I honestly never get posts like this. Just because you don't like it does not mean nobody else can. I, for one, can't stand Grant Morrison's writing a majority of the time, yet I've only complained a few times. More often than not, I let it go and let his fans enjoy his work. Why can't more people just adopt an attitude like that?

As the review shows, yes people can and do like Johns' writing. In fact, it seems that most people do because Green Lantern has been a best selling series ever since he took over. So, please, come off your high horse.

Oh, and "inevitable decline of the DC Universe"? Its quite obvious you're trolling.
    Last edited by Zeeguy91; 05-22-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Is it really that hard for you to accept the fact that people actually like Geoff Johns' writing? I honestly never get posts like this. Just because you don't like it does not mean nobody else can. I, for one, can't stand Grant Morrison's writing a majority of the time, yet I've only complained a few times. More often than not, I let it go and let his fans enjoy his work. Why can't more people just adopt an attitude like that?

As the review shows, yes people can and do like Johns' writing. In fact, it seems that most people do because Green Lantern has been a best selling series ever since he took over. So, please, come off your high horse.

Oh, and "inevitable decline of the DC Universe"? Its quite obvious you're trolling.
    SO MUCH THIS.

I not only like Johns' writing, he's my favorite writer (sans Alan Moore). And his Green Lantern is my favorite run ever on a superhero book. This was a beautiful finale.

At long last no more Geoff Johns! Now I can star reading GL books again :D

Lost in a Boom Tube

This one was definitely worth a five star rating as an individual issue. I was a bit concerned about the possibility that I could be let down by this issue, but Johns delivered one last time.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revengeance View Post
    At long last no more Geoff Johns! Now I can star reading GL books again :D
    You missed so much.

Lord High Magistrate Blue Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    First you dish Geoff Johns and then praise Chris Claremont, does not compute.

Also, the link doesn't work.
    Well, matters of taste are not for dispute, for one thing.

For another Claremont's style was shaped in a time where every issue is someone's first and there are no tradepaperback collections, hence infodump on every page.

Second, Claremont's way does acknowledge those before him and leaves room for stories using the characters after the story he is writing is finished.

Geoff Johns' way, upon coming to Green Lantern at least, is to partially closed the door on stories having occurred before his run, at least if those stories contradicted his ideas in any way, as if Geoff Johns' Green Lantern is the only canon in the whole thing.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Spider View Post
    For another Claremont's style was shaped in a time where every issue is someone's first and there are no tradepaperback collections, hence infodump on every page.
    There were still some more subtle ways to introduce information at the time as shown by some of his contemporaries like John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Frank Miller, Roger Stern, etc.

And he hasn't changed his style that much since that time, that's the main problem.

Second, Claremont's way does acknowledge those before him and leaves room for stories using the characters after the story he is writing is finished.

Geoff Johns' way, upon coming to Green Lantern at least, is to partially closed the door on stories having occurred before his run, at least if those stories contradicted his ideas in any way, as if Geoff Johns' Green Lantern is the only canon in the whole thing.
    What you haven't read Johns' GL run? He acknowledged everything that came before him and fixed what damaged the franchise.

Mixed emotions for me. Can't wait to read this, but so sad Geoff Johns is leaving the title. I never cared about Green Lantern until I read Rebirth....having said that, I am also excited to see what Vendetti has in store for us

I've read every almost every issue of Green Lantern that Geoff Johns wrote and while I certainly will not say I hate his work I will say I am not a fan of his.

It's okay. Some issues are awesome. Some issues are not. Some stink like old cheese. I actually enjoyed the 1960s stuff more. I thought that the original origin story is better than his. I thought the movie was a very faithful adaptation of Johns' work, NOT the sixties work (obviously) and I thought the movie was better than the comics it was based on. But then again I liked the movie, while acknowledging all of the flaws.

So while I won't hate on the guy I won't say it's a bad thing that another writer gets a crack at the character.

Now if someone were to really hate on Geoff Johns, I submit to you THE FLASH: REBIRTH...

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post

What you haven't read Johns' GL run? He acknowledged everything that came before him and fixed what damaged the franchise.
    I have read every issue except his last issue.

That's how I know that he didn' acknowledge everything that came before him.

Veteran Member

I've read every almost every issue of Green Lantern that Geoff Johns wrote and while I certainly will not say I hate his work I will say I am not a fan of his.

It's okay. Some issues are awesome. Some issues are not. Some stink like old cheese. I actually enjoyed the 1960s stuff more. I thought that the original origin story is better than his. I thought the movie was a very faithful adaptation of Johns' work, NOT the sixties work (obviously) and I thought the movie was better than the comics it was based on. But then again I liked the movie, while acknowledging all of the flaws.
    Yeah, no. The movie sucked because it didn't follow Johns' vision (Parallax as big cloud WTF), it wasn't truly faithful to his work.

Now if someone were to really hate on Geoff Johns, I submit to you THE FLASH: REBIRTH...
    Yeah, Flash: Rebirth blows, so?

Veteran Member

I have read every issue except his last issue.

That's how I know that he didn' acknowledge everything that came before him.
    I still don't know how you can say that.