View Poll Results: What did you think of Ultimate Wolverine #4?

Voters
24. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Great! An awesome conclusion!

13 54.17%
  • Good. A solid finish to the miniseries.

10 41.67%
  • Meh. Could have been better, but I didn't hate it.

1 4.17%
  • Bad. I didn't really care for this story.

0 0%
  • Awful. Wish I didn't read it.

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

This issue was alright, I enjoyed it, it was a somewhat satisfactory ending, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous issues. Quicksilver's fight with James was good.

Overall, I think this has been a really good miniseries. And the final issue wrapped tings up quite nicely.

I wonder how James' foster parents feel about him running off like this. Did he even say goodbye to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Codah View Post
    Maybe but I still don't even see what's so un-ultimate about it. It looks like a much more plausible version of the original Wolverine costume. It's much more leathery and simple in design. It doesn't come across as silly to me at all.
    To me it just screams brightly coloured spandex.

I just don't understand why 616 decides to have so many of it's characters dressed up in such ridiculous looking outfits. Well.. at least there are no guys wearing tights in this universe. IMO silly is not fun. Silly is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    For all we know Brian's run could end with them in a position where costumes fit.
    For all we know, Jean Grey might completely disintegrate James during WWX; turn him to dust with the fiery might of the Phoenix Force. There've got to be some casualties, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    Fantastic Four -

Beautiful cover.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedofLife View Post
    Fun Fact: That costume was designed by Art Adams. It's among his sketches in the Ultimate X: Hardcover.
    And in the TPB.

A wife beater and blue jeans would be more interesting than that.
    Is a wife beater a vest? What item of clothing is a "wife beater"?
    Last edited by Robbie_Jee; 05-27-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    Is a wife beater a vest? What item of clothing is a "wife beater"?
    You should really learn to use google. You would have found out what a wife beater is in the amount of time it took you type that sentence. just saying.
    All-time Favs: Ultimate Marvel, Transmetropolitan, 100 Bullets, Ex Machina, Grant Morrison, Saga...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pinq09 View Post
    You should really learn to use google.
    And you should learn that nobody likes a smart arse.

Of course I know how to use Google.

You would have found out what a wife beater is in the amount of time it took you type that sentence. just saying.
    What? How slow do you think I type?

FYI, I did use google search. Google images shows a bunch of men and women wearing white vests, so I assumed that was what it was. It also shows the words "Stella Artois". If you were from the UK like me, you would have assumed "wife beater" meant "Stella Artois Cidre" (cider) because in my culture wife beater refers to a brand of alcoholic drink.

I also assumed that maybe the wife beater version of a white vest is of a material that is netted.

So to sum up...
    1. The slanguage terminology of "wife beater" refers to Stella Artois Cidre and a white vest that both men and women wear under their clothes to keep then warm. The latter of which doesn't even make any sense seeing as women wear them just as much, if not more than men do.
    2. Google's normal web search takes you to a variety of support groups.
    3. I don't type really, really slowly.
    4. It was a fair question. There's no need to be so condescending. Just saying.
    5. Nobody likes a smart arse.

Elder Member

I wonder how James' foster parents feel about him running off like this. Did he even say goodbye to them?
    It's in Ultimate X, but according to this

And in the TPB.
    You already own it?

And you should learn that nobody likes a smart arse.

Of course I know how to use Google.

What? How slow do you think I type?

FYI, I did use google search. Google images shows a bunch of men and women wearing white vests, so I assumed that was what it was. It also shows the words "Stella Artois". If you were from the UK like me, you would have assumed "wife beater" meant "Stella Artois Cidre" (cider) because in my culture wife beater refers to a brand of alcoholic drink.

I also assumed that maybe the wife beater version of a white vest is of a material that is netted.

So to sum up...
    1. The slanguage terminology of "wife beater" refers to Stella Artois Cidre and a white vest that both men and women wear under their clothes to keep then warm. The latter of which doesn't even make any sense seeing as women wear them just as much, if not more than men do.
    2. Google's normal web search takes you to a variety of support groups.
    3. I don't type really, really slowly.
    4. It was a fair question. There's no need to be so condescending. Just saying.
    5. Nobody likes a smart arse.
    I recommend adding the keywords "dictionary or "definition" to the keyword "wife beater", it helps make your search query more specific.

Checking Wikipedia is also a good way to find out more about a word.
    Last edited by Chaos_Alfa; 05-27-2013 at 01:25 PM.

True Superior Spider-Man Kurolegacy's Avatar

Long answer short, this is a wife beater:
    Holding out for a Peter/Miles team up.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Fixed that up for you.

BANNED

It's in Ultimate X, but according to this

You already own it?
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos_Alfa View Post
    I recommend adding the keywords "dictionary or "definition" to the keyword "wife beater", it helps make your search query more specific.

Checking Wikipedia is also a good way to find out more about a word.
    I found out just fine. I'm just saying that there are reasons why it took so much longer than it would to type the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Yes. I know.
    Last edited by Robbie_Jee; 05-27-2013 at 02:26 PM.

I don't see how people think Wolverine (Jimmy) wearing a costume is silly, but neither of Spider-Man's or Spiderwoman's look silly. For me it's all about the characters and plot. I'm already reading a book where people have super powers, there are gods and aliens, time travel, alternate universes, the "phoenix force," magic, etc. How is a costume going to drag down the realism?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kevintown311 View Post
    I don't see how people think Wolverine (Jimmy) wearing a costume is silly, but neither of Spider-Man's or Spiderwoman's look silly. For me it's all about the characters and plot. I'm already reading a book where people have super powers, there are gods and aliens, time travel, alternate universes, the "phoenix force," magic, etc. How is a costume going to drag down the realism?
    Obviously this is just my own personal opinion, but I find bright yellow spandex to be really cringeworthy. Whereas Spider-Man and Spider-Woman have a more stylish and a more neutral look to the colours of their costumes, especially with all the black and red. As for Spider-Man's blue, I just think it looks a whole lot better than bright yellow from head to toe.

I think bright yellow spandex looks quite silly, but I'm not one of those guys attempting to claim a more realistic alternative. For me, it doesn't come down to realism. To me, realism has very little to do with such aesthetic things. This is just quite simply my own personal preference of what I'd like to see the character wearing. And bright yellow spandex is the last thing I expect to see.

IMO, regardless of the universe, I struggle to imagine all these strong character-types wearing brightly coloured spandex. Spider-Man I can agree with, but not for a Wolverine archetype. This is one of the reasons why I can't stand most DC and 616 titles. I just don't like seeing murderous characters dressed up in brightly coloured costumes as though a rainbow has just thrown up all over them.

But I am quite happy with how the creators are attempting to make their characters dress a lot more respectable nowadays. Even if Logan does still like to dress up like a Power Ranger.

Yes, yellow spandex is awful. Brian Wood seems sensible so I'm hoping he ignores it

To each is own.

I don't think the costume fits in with how the X-Men look, at any point. At their most "costumey" time it was still a very militaristic/tactical look. At their least it was jeans and t-shirts. I am sad we didn't see more of the all white with arm bands look.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    At their most "costumey" time it was still a very militaristic/tactical look.
    Except that look was awful. These are superheroes, not soldiers.

Except that look was awful. These are superheroes, not soldiers.
    That is 1) just one man's opinion and 2) still doesn't address the fact that the X-Men have never been spandex clad heroes and 3) the X-Men aren't superheroes right now they are a sovereign nation that has needed to defend itself from attacks not one out saving the world world from menacing threats.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!