Whiz Kids Vs. Witchcraft! tangentman's Avatar

Default Build a Wonder Woman Family!

A long-standing critique of Wonder Woman is the lack of a stable supporting cast! With every new writer, it seemed that Wonder Woman's ensemble were dispensed in an array of "Bold New Directions". Marston to Sekowsky to Perez to Rucka to Azzarello--it seems we've seen brand new casts with most new writers.

Let's play a game. Setting all that controversy aside, YOU have an opportunity to create Wonder Woman's supporting cast! The challenge: use one character and one character alone from each major era. You can skip a writer's tenure if they just recycled Marston's "Golden Age" era or if they were just temporary guest writers. You can also use a character that repeats in a different era: Post-Crisis, Post-Zero Hour, Flashpoint, Nu52, or (getting radical) an alternative venue, like DCAU or Wednesday Comics.

I'll start:

Marston: Steve Trevor. Diana needs a love interest, and I dig the original concept for the character: dashing war hero/intelligence agent who isn't intimidated by a stronger woman!
    Sekowsky: I-Ching. If you're going with a "father figure", Ching did it first and best! Update the man to dispense with the racist cliches, and mine the story potential waiting to unfold in the 21st Century!
    Pasko: Nubia. I like the idea of an ally who can keep up and still serve as an occasional rival!
    Perez: Julia Kapatellis. Diana needs a touchstone who can help her negotiate the complications of Diana's new world, while also lending a keen mind to aid in researching the more obscure enemies. Basically, a "Giles" to Wonder Woman's "Buffy"!
    Loebs: Artemis. Unlike Nubia, Artemis would be a more pronounced rival to juxtapose Diana's more compassionate viewpoint.
    Byrne: Hippolyta. One of the few bright points (imo) of Byrne's run. I liked the portrayal of a mother's love and search for redemption.
    Luke: Rama. I'd like to see him as a potential love interest and superhuman peer!
    Jiminez: Donna! I'd prefer her as an occasional guest star, but she was FABULOUS in Phil's run!
    Rucka: Ferdinand! Suave, kithotaur warrior-chef. 'Nuff said.
    Simone: Nemesis! Diana should have more than one suitor, and I like the idea of Steve having a slightly younger rival, as well as complicating Diana's relationship with the government!
    Caldwell: Etta Candy! I like his younger, energetic, punk BBW! A sweet modernization of the original "Holliday Girl"!
    JMS/Hester: The talking cat! Every superhero needs a cat, AFAIC!
    Azzarello: Zola. Make her Etta's peer, maybe they hang out at the same dive bars or work part-time jobs at the same restaurant or something.

Yes, that's a big cast, but here's how I'd trim it down:

Main Cast

Wonder Woman (star)
    Steve
    Etta
    Julia
    I-Ching
    Ferdinand
    talking cat

Recurring Guest Stars

Hippolyta
    Artemis
    Donna
    Nemesis
    Zola

Special Guest Stars

Nubia
    Rama
    Who needs CoTM when you can have a Skullie?

I am Tangent Man! I do not care!

I could work with that group.

Rama already has a wife. I wouldn't want to see him as Diana's love interest.

Dr. Poison's Lab Asst. Power Guy's Avatar

Nice cast. I like them all with the exception of Ferdinand and Zola. Instead of them, I'd pick Sarge Steel from Heinberg's run and Sirracca from the current run.
    Check out Hall of Justice Forums at: http://hallofjustice1.proboards.com

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Power Guy View Post
    Nice cast. I like them all with the exception of Ferdinand and Zola. Instead of them, I'd pick Sarge Steel from Heinberg's run and Sirracca from the current run.
    Using Tangentman's proposed family as a base, one of the changes I'd make is bringing in Paula from Marston's run; as a superscientist and reformed villain, I think she could have a lot to add, and t would be fun to see her modernized. I'd still include Steve, by just plucking him from elsewhere; maybe I'd use the version from Gail Simone's animated movie.

And who should we use from Kanigher? Maybe I'll cheat and say young Diana (Kanigher's "Wonder Girl," but not necessarily under that name). Give her a backup in the style of Azzarello's zero issue.
    Last edited by slvn; 05-21-2013 at 07:22 AM.

Bluewing: While recognizing that a huge population literally believes in Rama, I'd go with a "comic book version" of that mythology. Some people still believe in the Nordic pantheon, and Marvel isn't (always) literal with Thor!

Power Guy: With Sarge Steel, I think he'd need to be an antagonist! lol

slvn: Sure! I'd almost go you one extra and use Wonder Tot! Paula is a very tempting alternate, and you got the gist by using animated Steve!

This is a mixture of supporting characters and recurring guest.

Martson: Hyppolyta – Queen of the Amazons and loving mother to Diana.
    Johns: Steve Trevor - Let’s face it Diana could use a strong love interest and nobody but Steve can fill those shoes.
    Simone: Etta Candy – She’s a strong modern woman that can become Diana’s best friend in "Man's World".
    Levitz: General Darnell – Boss to Diana’s alter-ego life working for the U.S. government.
    Loebs: Artemis – This is one fierce Amazon.
    Jimenez: Donna Troy…’nuff said.
    Bryne: Cassie Sandsmark
    Perez: Phillipus – A leader among the Amazons.
    Rucka: The gods and goddesses – I like his take between the older and younger Olympians.

Hawk_fan, I could see your cast in a cinematic Wonder Woman version! A nice balance of Paradise Island & Man's World influences!

I'm not sure I understand your challenge, but, if required to pick characters from present and past 'eras'...

Wonder Woman, Phillipis (Perez), Zola (Azzarello) and I Ching (Sekowsky) would be the core regulars, with Col. Steve Trevor (Marston) orbiting them as a semi-regular and recurring, infrequent appearance by Lennox, the Amazons and the other Olympians. I'm a HUGE Ferdy fan, but can't imagine what in Hades any writer, besides Rucka would do with him, and I believe, very strongly, that Diana needs to be surrounded by lowly, worthless humans. Ha'ha...

For my money, if forced to choose, Phillipis is the only thing from the Perez run I'd keep. And YES...I know that ain't how George spelled her name!
    Last edited by MelDyer; 05-22-2013 at 12:56 AM.
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."
    Cassandra on Orion of the New Gods (Wonder Woman #26)

Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your challenge, but, if required to pick characters from present and past 'eras'...

Wonder Woman, Phillipis (Perez), Zola (Azzarello) and I Ching (Sekowsky) would be the core regulars, with Col. Steve Trevor (Marston) orbiting them as a semi-regular and recurring, infrequent appearance by Lennox, the Amazons and the other Olympians. I'm a HUGE Ferdy fan, but can't imagine what in Hades any writer, besides Rucka would do with him, and I believe, very strongly, that Diana needs to be surrounded by lowly, worthless humans. Ha'ha...
    Hmm. Haven't seen any serious shortage of humans in the suggested casts so far.

For my money, if forced to choose, Phillipis is the only thing from the Perez run I'd keep. And YES...I know that ain't how George spelled her name!
    "Phillipus".

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk_fan View Post
    This is a mixture of supporting characters and recurring guest.

Martson: Hyppolyta – Queen of the Amazons and loving mother to Diana.
    Johns: Steve Trevor - Let’s face it Diana could use a strong love interest and nobody but Steve can fill those shoes.
    Simone: Etta Candy – She’s a strong modern woman that can become Diana’s best friend in "Man's World".
    Levitz: General Darnell – Boss to Diana’s alter-ego life working for the U.S. government.
    Loebs: Artemis – This is one fierce Amazon.
    Jimenez: Donna Troy…’nuff said.
    Bryne: Cassie Sandsmark
    Perez: Phillipus – A leader among the Amazons.
    Rucka: The gods and goddesses – I like his take between the older and younger Olympians.
    I still like superman as a love interest!! All that has to be done is to find a writer that is interested in developing their relationship, instead of the poor job the current writers are doing with their relationship story.

Quote Originally Posted by tangentman View Post
    Hawk_fan, I could see your cast in a cinematic Wonder Woman version! A nice balance of Paradise Island & Man's World influences!
    Thanks tangentman