View Poll Results: Should the pre-Flashpoint DCU exist as an alternate earth?

Voters
43. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • yes

29 67.44%
  • no

14 32.56%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

not to mention the fact that they'd inevitably fold the 2 together eventually (and i dread the day that DC decides to cancel earth-2, because then they'll fold that in too... somehow); and odds are that would come at the expense of characters on both sides (i don't want red hood to become his old self, on the other hand i want wally back)

The power of the rainbow. jade_nova's Avatar

I would like to see an alternate Earth where the characters are light hearted and wearing the original style costumes.
    "Here's to me and here's to you. If we should ever disagree, then here's to me and to hell with you," William O. Astle 1905-2002

"Damn you, Harlot! Science and I know what we're doing," Reed Richards

http://captain-smiley.livejournal.com/-Here be Countdown summaries.

Quote Originally Posted by glennsim View Post
    Well, by that logic you could argue that we've never actually seen the real DCU - only various altered reflections of it. Very Zelazny-ish.
    The real DCU is the Pre-Crisis DCU. It is the only version of the DCU where the stories written and drawn by the characters creators were canonical. Not a single story written by any of their major characters creators is canon in the nu52 DCU, nor were they in the old Pre-Flashpoint DCU.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

The "real" DCU is a Platonic ideal.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

FF purist-snob

Quote Originally Posted by glennsim View Post
    Well, by that logic you could argue that we've never actually seen the real DCU - only various altered reflections of it. Very Zelazny-ish.
    Something about this idea got me thinking. Imagine all of the universes (all the live action TV, cartoons, movies, even novels and other stories PLUS the comics) each as a skewed glimpse into the "real" DC universe. Trippy.

But as far as the question is concerned, I voted no. If there's anything the nu52 wiped out or changed that DC needs to bring back, they will. It's happened with Power Girl's costume, it's surely going to happen again. And I'm one who misses a lot from the last pre-Flashpoint DC universe.
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Something about this idea got me thinking. Imagine all of the universes (all the live action TV, cartoons, movies, even novels and other stories PLUS the comics) each as a skewed glimpse into the "real" DC universe. Trippy.

But as far as the question is concerned, I voted no. If there's anything the nu52 wiped out or changed that DC needs to bring back, they will. It's happened with Power Girl's costume, it's surely going to happen again. And I'm one who misses a lot from the last pre-Flashpoint DC universe.
    The same thing happened after the first DC Crisis. The universe got rebooted and eliminated a lot of elements that people enjoyed about the pre Crisis DC. However over the course of 25 years, more and more of those eliminated elements were returned. The same thing will happen with the post FP universe. More and more elements of the pre FP universe will return and fans will rejoice. Just give it time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    The real DCU is the Pre-Crisis DCU. It is the only version of the DCU where the stories written and drawn by the characters creators were canonical. Not a single story written by any of their major characters creators is canon in the nu52 DCU, nor were they in the old Pre-Flashpoint DCU.
    Well, that wasn't ENTIRELY the case in the Pre-Flashpoint DCU (especially after IC).

Grant Morrison went to great pains to bring back all the forgotten Silver Age silliness of the 50's/early 60's Batman, but he also brought back the old Golden Age Bob Kane/Bill Finger stories.

Also, I'm pretty sure most (if not all) Silver Age stories about Flash, Green Lantern and the Justice League of America were still canon...and those were written by the creators of those particular incarnations of the characters.

I agree with the New 52 not having a single story written by the original creators...

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Well, that wasn't ENTIRELY the case in the Pre-Flashpoint DCU (especially after IC).

Grant Morrison went to great pains to bring back all the forgotten Silver Age silliness of the 50's/early 60's Batman, but he also brought back the old Golden Age Bob Kane/Bill Finger stories.

Also, I'm pretty sure most (if not all) Silver Age stories about Flash, Green Lantern and the Justice League of America were still canon...and those were written by the creators of those particular incarnations of the characters.

I agree with the New 52 not having a single story written by the original creators...
    I have no idea why the original work-for-hire writers and artists are more important than the current work-for-hire writers and artists.
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.

I am 43 and I miss the pre-CRISIS DC Multiverse! I wish CRISIS NEVER happened! Kara and Barry dying was bad enough, but DC lost its innocence for me when my "Babs" was shot in Killing Joke!

DC should have kept the original Multiverse and added a New Earth for 1986 revamps. Same with a New 52 Earth.

I also liked Hypertime where EVERYTHING exists and each of us can have his or her own DCU! There will NEVER be a perfect version of any character let alone universe for everyone!