Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

It was a fun read. Looking forward to the last two issues.

I liked it, and would love to read more of Batman Japan and Canary.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    I have no doubt that those who hated this, absolutely have no interest or understanding of Japan, Japanese popular culture, or Japanese characters,
    Actually, i just read it and hated it precisely because i felt it has no understanding of Japan – and i just got back from a two-week holiday there, visiting family. Nothing about it rings true, especially the dialogue – and why is Canary saying 'I'm sorry' or 'Excuse me' when she screams? Have i missed something? Is there a good reason for this? Whatever, the tone of the dialogue and the way it flows is wholly American.

And then there's the mediocre art. What a lost opportunity – did DC even consider using a Japanese artist for this? There are hundreds of manga artists they could have approached, and a genuinely Japanese visual feel might have just been enough to help ignore the duff writing. Or maybe even an artist just to emulate a manga style? Perhaps there were time constraints, or maybe they tried and no-one was available, but i expect they didn't even bother; the whole thing feels like a cheap, rushed, underdeveloped filler issue. Probably because that's exactly what it is.

There's so much potential in Jiro and Batman Japan, but none of it's realised here. Worst issue so far – at least it can only get better now.

Quote Originally Posted by AJM View Post
    why is Canary saying 'I'm sorry' or 'Excuse me' when she screams? Have i missed something? Is there a good reason for this?
    Because she's very shy and uncertain? Hence, being named, initially, Shy Crazy Lolita Canary. How does she not come off shy and uncertain, even in this issue? I think the characterization, while not the strongest thing on the planet, was just fine.

Whatever, the tone of the dialogue and the way it flows is wholly American.
    Good thing it's an American comic, then. But, yeah, I get your point. It reads very 80s/90s translated manga to me, but that's translated, natch. Gerard Jones on Ranma 1/2.

And then there's the mediocre art. What a lost opportunity – did DC even consider using a Japanese artist for this? There are hundreds of manga artists they could have approached, and a genuinely Japanese visual feel might have just been enough to help ignore the duff writing. Or maybe even an artist just to emulate a manga style? Perhaps there were time constraints, or maybe they tried and no-one was available, but i expect they didn't even bother; the whole thing feels like a cheap, rushed, underdeveloped filler issue. Probably because that's exactly what it is.
    A Japanese artist a) would've been a stunt-hire, b) would have delayed the issue undoubtedly, and c) is unnecessary since this isn't trying in any way to be or pass itself off as a Japanese product. It's an American superhero comic set in Japan for twenty pages. And the art emulated quite a bit of Japanese comics from an era. It was identifiably 70s in several places, and I think, quite functionally so. There was a good chunk of Go Nagai and Rumiko Takahashi going on in the art and the writing. But neither in a pastiche way or as a false product. They didn't go full on orientalist and they didn't hire an entirely Japanese staff to make the book. It's just a superhero comic that's set in Japan.

I could've done with less winks and nods, actually. The same way I could do with a DCU China that doesn't try to be every orientalist stereotype of China at once or make allusions to this or that Chinese comic every single time. But for what it is, a twenty page interlude, a brief adventure sandwiched between a couple dates between to goofy but valiant heroes I think it was a decent enough balance of expectation and delivery.

(My defense isn't that it's great and you're all fools, I just think it was decent, a fun little comic that's being criticized as if it's the worst thing DC released this month and there's no way! Sure, Chris Burnham's not Grant Morrison, but Grant Morrison wasn't Grant Morrison in his first few years of writing, either. Imagine the mess of Chinese ninjas or suiciding samurai businessmen this would have been if Hickman or Dixon had written it. What it would have looked like, how it would have flowed if Liefeld or Benes drew it? And even that wouldn't - hopefully - suck completely.)

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Damn this issue was cool, real shaky in the art department, but way cool.

I feel bad for this issue. It really wasn't what I wanted, and isn't really what I'm interested in, but I may have enjoyed it more had it not been for the bait and switch maneuver involved and perhaps the general suckiness of the DC Universe in general these days.

In the old days I would have called this issue a bonus ball.

It seemed so fun, I hated not enjoying it.

Sadly, I did not.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Quote Originally Posted by T Hedge Coke View Post
    Because she's very shy and uncertain? Hence, being named, initially, Shy Crazy Lolita Canary.
    Maybe you're right, but that's not really addressed in the issue.

It's just a superhero comic that's set in Japan.
    Exactly. Set in Japan, with Japanese characters who speak (supposedly) Japanese. None of it convinced.

(My defense isn't that it's great and you're all fools, I just think it was decent, a fun little comic that's being criticized as if it's the worst thing DC released this month and there's no way!
    I couldn't comment on it being this month's worst because it's the only DC book i bought, but it's certainly the least enjoyable issue of the series for me.

Actually, i just read it and hated it precisely because i felt it has no understanding of Japan – and i just got back from a two-week holiday there, visiting family. Nothing about it rings true, especially the dialogue – and why is Canary saying 'I'm sorry' or 'Excuse me' when she screams? Have i missed something? Is there a good reason for this? Whatever, the tone of the dialogue and the way it flows is wholly American.
    I'm a pretty big fan of Burnham's work and have heard him talk about manga before and his love of guys like Tetsuo Hara. Granted he didn't draw this issue, but I thought it read it as manga through an American's eyes.