Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Poll: Which Television or Movie Sci Fi/Fantasy Franchise Has Made the Best Transition

Which Television or Movie Sci Fi/Fantasy Franchise Has Made the Best Transition to Comics?

With "Star Trek: Into Darkness" hitting theaters this week after being built up in the prequel comics, CBR wants to know which TV/Movie Sci-Fi/Fantasy franchise has been expanded the best into the world of comic books?

Vote on the poll here.

You forgot to put Doctor Who on the poll,there have been Dr Who comics since at least the early 80s

Transformers really shouldn't be on the poll since it wasn't a piece of entertainment that transitioned to comics as it went or after the TV shows ended. The comic started 6 months before the TV show even aired. IT also out lasted the TV by a number of years.

Doctor Who has a very long history of comic books, as mentioned by MirkyMoog, although it actually goes back to the beginning of the show. Until the 90s though it seemed like the comics were mainly self-contained, with not a lot of continuity with the show (Then again, Who's continuity/canon has always been kind of inconsistent), with the Doctor often travelling alone or with totally different companions. However with the Seventh and Eighth Doctors they were given more creative freedom, even crossing over with the novels here and there. Since the show came back they've been more careful with tying in with it though.

The Alien vs. Predator franchise is sort of notable as well, since the concept eventually was incorporated into the movies themselves (Although not really good ones). I think the initial trilogy of Alien comics to be a better sequel than the last few films. Too bad most of the reprints clumsily try to change the names of the characters to match up with that continuity. (Steve Perry's novel adaptations at least tried a bit better to hide this).

Star Wars of course has had some memorable comics, mainly John Ostrander and Jan Duuresama's work...and some elements of their work appeared in Episodes I-III.

The Trek comics done by DC in the 80s were lots of fun, but unfortunately Paramount sort of restricted that a bit in the 90s (The supporting cast of the first DC run, for instance, did not appear in the second volume, which instead focused mainly on just the main TOS guys).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-16-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Star Trek: The Next Generation had a good run at DC (most issues written by Peter David) in the late 80s well into the 90s.

Planet of the Apes.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Doctor Who has a very long history of comic books, as mentioned by MirkyMoog, although it actually goes back to the beginning of the show. Until the 90s though it seemed like the comics were mainly self-contained, with not a lot of continuity with the show (Then again, Who's continuity/canon has always been kind of inconsistent), with the Doctor often travelling alone or with totally different companions. However with the Seventh and Eighth Doctors they were given more creative freedom, even crossing over with the novels here and there. Since the show came back they've been more careful with tying in with it though.
    The Second Doctor's comics had a ton of continuity with the TV Show and created the fabled Series 6b. The Second Doctor's carried on after his last TV Appereance in War Games and the TV producers took them as canon when conceiving the Third Doctor's run (hence why, amongst other things, The Second Doctor suddenly learned how to control the TARDIS and worked for the Time Lords in The Three Doctors).
    http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Season_6B
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

The Star trek franchise has been around the block , license has moved from DC/marvel/paramount/Malibu. They even did a crossover when Malibu had the DS9 license and Marvel/Paramount had the TNG license.

My Vote is DOCTOR WHO! It has the longest history of comic publication, from Britain's TV comic(that was the magazine name) to Marvel, To a great series from IDW.
    HOW COULD YOU LEAVE DR. WHO OFF OF THE POLL!!!!

Long Live the Legion Zero Hunter's Avatar

Star Wars by a mile just for the amount of variety they have put out over the years. Stuff like Legacy, Knights of the Old Republic, Dark Times, Crimson Empire, ect, ect.

I voted for Star Trek simply because IDW's line retelling TOS in the reboot universe is the only licensed book I still buy. I used to get Aliens and Star Wars in the 90's but they flooded the market with so many titles the stories just got too diluted and run of the mill for my liking.

Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

Star Wars, hands down. Some of those Dark Horse storylines were the only things that kept my love of Star Wars up after the prequels. Some very inventive, fun things going on. Dark Times, Dawn of the Jedi, Agent of the Empire...

I really hope they get to renew the license because DH really gets Star Wars.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

Star Wars.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Funny thing about the Dark Horse Star Wars comics, unlike the majority of the novels which focus on the movie heroes they kind of do their own thing with side stories featuring lesser known movie characters or entirely new heroes (With some exceptions like Dark Empire and the new Brian Wood series, also a couple issues of Republic focused on Anakin and Obi-Wan) or stuff far removed from the movie time like Knights of the Old Republic and Legacy.

Regarding Star Trek The Next Generation comics, I think most of those were written not by Peter David but by Michael Jan Friedman. David did write for a while the TOS movie-era comics....which is interesting because David wrote a lot of epic The Next Generation books (Although he did do a few TOS ones like The Captain's Daughter).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-17-2013 at 08:20 AM.

What about Jericho or Smallville Season 11? Either of them would get my votes over anything in the list.