Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

There is an Iron Man III thread that you could have posted this in
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Since when is 78% a low percentage?
    That is lot more than 22%, wouldn't you say?
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of ther Crystal Skull was trashed by the critics, and it also got a 78% positive rating on the Tomatometer. Iron Man 3 has enough story and action to not be a failure, but it's got some big problems. I think the only reason why it's done so well at the box office is because it's riding on the success of the last two Iron Man films and is a popular Marvel/Disney franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    There is an Iron Man III thread that you could have posted this in
    But not a thread about this major problem of mixing family entertainment with hard core depictions of violence. Children are being exposed to things that they should not be exposed to, and that's a big problem in the American culture, today. Disney has made a big mistake in mixing family entertainment with such hard core scenes of terrorism and violence. It doesn't matter if the violence isn't bloody, it's how it was depicted in a Disney movie, that i have a problem with. Disney is supposed to be about family entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by theflyingfrogunderdog View Post
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of ther Crystal Skull was trashed by the critics, and it also got a 78% positive rating on the Tomatometer. Iron Man 3 has enough story and action to not be a failure, but it's got some big problems. I think the only reason why it's done so well at the box office is because it's riding on the success of the last two Iron Man films and is a popular Marvel/Disney franchise.
    IM3 has an aggregate percentage of 78% from critic reviews, and 83% by audience.
    Again, those aren't low numbers.
    The film had good buzz going in, and word of mouth carried that.
    The film has a lot of layers, to be honest, and utilizes a lot of Shane Black's go to action sequences. The man knows how to write an action flick, and this film benefited from his sensibilities in the human sense. And, in presenting the film to the general audience, the ones that never heard of the Mandarin, or Extremis.

My problem with Iron Man III wasn't the Mandarin twist. I actually thought that was genius and the only actual funny moment in the movie. It's just that the rest of the movie wasn't funny at all and the actual villain was a cardboard cutout with the worst motivations possible

But not a thread about this major problem of mixing family entertainment with hard core depictions of violence. Children are being exposed to things that they should not be exposed to, and that's a big problem in the American culture, today. Disney has made a big mistake in mixing family entertainment with such hard core scenes of terrorism and violence. It doesn't matter if the violence isn't bloody, it's how it was depicted in a Disney movie, that i have a problem with. Disney is supposed to be about family entertainment.
    The movie is rated PG-13. Your argument is irrelevant.

Also, Touchstone Pictures.

Also, Hollywood Pictures.

Just because it's "Disney" doesn't mean it's SUPPOSED to be completely family-friendly.

And again, PG-13.

Not to mention... this is a Marvel film. Not a "Disney" film.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    My problem with Iron Man III wasn't the Mandarin twist. I actually thought that was genius and the only actual funny moment in the movie. It's just that the rest of the movie wasn't funny at all and the actual villain was a cardboard cutout with the worst motivations possible
    I agree...the attempts at humor fell totally flat in this film. The only times it seemed to work, is when Robert Downey Dr. was making the jokes. The last scene after the credits, was painfully unfunny.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonimator View Post
    The movie is rated PG-13. Your argument is irrelevant.

Also, Touchstone Pictures.

Also, Hollywood Pictures.

Just because it's "Disney" doesn't mean it's SUPPOSED to be completely family-friendly.

And again, PG-13.

Not to mention... this is a Marvel film. Not a "Disney" film.
    Your reasoning falls totally flat, and here's why. Tony Stark befriends a kid in the movie. This was totally to appeal to families watching the movie, especially kids who, by the way, are buying the Iron Man toys that are made because they saw the Iron Man movies. PG-13 means nothing. Parents will still take their kids in to see this movie with terrorism and a couple of hard core death scenes. So, they're blindsided by content that was pretty hard core and not appropriate for children. I think PG-13 should mean just that...no one under 13 admitted with or without a parent.

It's called "parental guidance"... and when it's PG-13, the idiot parents should maybe check what they're getting into. I don't care that there are Iron Man toys out there... there were Rambo toys, Robocop toys, Terminator toys.

Parents need to take some damn responsibility. I saw some idiot parents who took small children to Alien Resurrection and The Cell, movies full of violence & disturbing imagery. Iron Man 3 had nothing on those (granted, they're R).

Just cuz Tony befriends a kid in the film doesn't mean it's supposed to be a family-friendly movie... Aliens had the main character befriending a little kid. Not "family friendly". Terminator 2 has a killing machine protecting a kid from another killing machine. Not exactly "family friendly".

X-Men 3 made more than the previous films. Did that make it better than the first two? Not to me, but it was obviously what the masses wanted. I see Iron Man 3 the same way. I thought it was bad, but the majority seem to love it. If I was the studio I wouldn't give a shit what I think. The movie is a huge success. The public has spoken. I'm still entitled to my opinion, but I'm smart enough to know I'm in the minority at this point.
    Everything burns...

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

i don't see anyone calling for Robert Downey jr to leave.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Glad i had a free ticket from Red Baron and didn't have to pay $7.50 for a movie that never settles into any kind of skin and keeps hopping from scene to scene, while not much happens, scene after scene. Iron Man 3 has it's moments of big action scenes, but they're too few to make this a movie worthy of a fresh rating. The big action ending isn't enough to redeem this movie from the doldrums of it's 'Phantom Menace' investigative feel. Yes, the movie will keep your interest and it has plenty of CGI, but not in a good way. When we go to see Iron Man, we expect to see what we got in Iron Man and Iron Man 2. We expect to see Iron Man in action! Simple enough formula, right? I guess the expected no brainer wasn't the angle this time. I can't help but compare this film to Hulk directed by Ang Lee, who like Shane Black directing this film, tried another angle. I liked Hulk, but it certainly had it's problems. The same can be said for Iron Man 3, even though it's not an unlikable movie. What we got was James Bond meets Disney romance. On one hand, we have a spy movie. On the other, we have a romance movie. On the other, a children's movie. Shane Black never let's us know exactly what sort of film he's aiming for. It's an amalgamation of different genres, but the elements don't mix. One scene we have Tony Stark interacting with a kid, and in another, we have his former love interest and someone we got to know fairly well, die by gunshot. I just thought that was terrible, especially since Disney is the owner of Marvel now, and is known for making family movies. This movie tries to be family fun and have serious death scenes at the same time. The whole terrorism angle was also out of place for a movie of this sort. I can't help but wonder how this would have gone over a few years after 9/11. Now that years have gone by, it's OK to have terrorism as a plot device in a movie featuring a Marvel superhero owned by Disney? What kind of movie is Iron Man 3? It seems to me, it suffers from an identity crisis, like Tony Stark joking around one minute and and having an anxiety attack the next. Nothing ever comes together in this mixed bag of misdirection. I don't think Shane Black did a good job. I think he broke an unspoken rule of movie making and tried to appeal to multiple audiences at the same time, while never really appealing to any audience in the end.
    I know we have a right to express our opinions, but it seems like yet another thread that exists just to bitch about something somebody didn't care for. What makes this thread seem like a bitchfest is the OP's first post. Its not a "family friendly" film? The movie is rated PG13 after all. If a parent brings their 8 year old to this movie, the fault does not lie with Disney or Marvel. The fault is with the parent. So what they make Iron Man toys. I remember I had a Xenomorph action figure as a kid. (Google alien action figure 1979) They only make toys for rated G or PG movies? As we can see, they don't. Next just because of the events of 9/11 are you saying that films should not have terrorism in it? Really? As for Tony making jokes one minute and the next minute he's having an anxiety attack, amazingly some people in real life act that way. Making jokes is how some people cope with problems. Remember, Tony was a wise ass before meeting and fighting aliens and almost dying in space or wherever he was. I thought Tony's actions and feelings were logical character progression. And lastly, you thought this was a romance movie? All I can say to that is "Ok..."
    Do I have to go all Quak-Fu with you monkeys just to get paid?!

The whole point of the doomsday machine...is lost, if you keep it a secret! Why didn't you tell the World, eh?

we have his former love interest and someone we got to know fairly well, die by gunshot.
    Ok Maya died by gunshot. Who was the person that we got to know fairly well that also died by gunshot? Was this the same person?
    Do I have to go all Quak-Fu with you monkeys just to get paid?!

The whole point of the doomsday machine...is lost, if you keep it a secret! Why didn't you tell the World, eh?

Yep, he's implying we got to know Maya fairly well... I suppose we KINDA did, for a supporting character...

But it's not like her death is shocking at all. As soon as it was revealed she was working WITH Killian, not running FROM him, she became a dead woman walking. Hardly a shocking death in any sense... Pepper dying by gunshot to the head or whatever, THAT would've been shocking, but Maya? No. She was pretty much expendable from the get-go, even more so after betraying Pepper.

I was kinda shocked when Tony told the kid "Dads leave no need to be a pussy about it." That being said most of the parents in the audience laughed there were a few groans and "that's not right." but for the most part it got over with the crowd. I did keep wondering where Iron Man was though not much happened in the movie. After watching Star Trek I wouldn't mind J.J Abrams helming the next Iron Man. Doubt it highly though.