Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    The biggest problem of Superman 2 is that it's not a cohesive movie. You can really tell that there's been two directors who went different ways with it. Watching this movie is like being in a rollercoaster. One minute you're like "hey it's great", the next you're like "man that just sucks".
    Plus yeah, some of the choices (replacing Brando with his mom.....hard to make an emotionnal scene with a character Superman never interracted with before) hinder the whole thing. And while Zod is kinda cool , his henchmen are sorta lame (especially the big dumbass, can't remember his name).
    Your calling Usra and Non lame?

I need to go punt a kitten now, thanks.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 05-16-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    Originally Posted by Francisco
    In a few years no one other that some aging fanboys like you would remember anything about the Donner film.

Welcome to The Lexrules Hall of Shame...

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    Well to each his own. I personally feel they need to be a opposite as possible. George Reeves played it to close to Superman for my liking. The idea is to make you believe they can never be the same person.
    While at the time I would have agreed with your assessement, I've since come to realize that playing the absolute opposite to such a comical degree as they did in the CR films just ends up making it more obvious that you're hiding something. Not being particularly athletic is one thing, but the clutzy act Clark was selling actually forced people to pay attention to him... which is a problem if the main thing you're trying to do in your secret identity is not be noticed. That's the main reason why CR is no longer my definitive Superman.

What I'm hoping for in MoS is something closer to the Animated Series or Birthright version of Clark; A Clark who is competent at his job but not exceptional enough to warrent his photo appearing along with his by-line (i.e. always turns in his assignments on time but never digs deeper than expected for the assignment and doesn't take initiative to get scoops that might get him noticed) and who plays himself as polite but a bit of an introvert... i.e. the type of guy you just don't give two seconds thought about after you've interacted him.

My personal feeling is that we won't truly get a definitive Superman portrayal until we get the role played by a character actor who can pull off the completely different mannerisms (ex. as Clark he is said to slouch such that he's several inches shorter than his full height while as Superman he goes out of his way to stand fully errect with his shoulder's back) and voice (His voice as Superman is not only more forceful, but is said to be an octave lower than his voice as Clark) that really do make Clark and Superman seem like two different people in a believable way.

BANNED

I have no clue how you could say that. The idea is to make the character completely opposite from each other so others would not think they are the same person. Reeve did that in both his acting cowardly which is how Clark should be but also by hunching to make Clark appear smaller then Superman. He played Clark and Superman perfect.

Superman is the hero, Clark is the coward. This is what has and will always work the best for both characters.
    That's simply not true. Sure Clark doesn't want to fight a thug in Action #1 and Lois calls him a coward for it but what you advocate for doesn't come into fashion for decades, lasted 20 years then was out of favor Pre-Crisis during the Bronze Age. IT WAS A FAD.

Not only was it not the way its always been, its not the best for the characters for two reasons. First off, it makes little sense to have Clark drawing attention to himself with his clumsy antics when he should be blending in and second and most importantly of all, it makes Clark Kent unlikeable.

Superman and Clark shouldn't be polar opposites of each other because that means Superman is a paranoid schizophrenic who likes playing mind games with the mere mortals and that's f'd up. Nobody can relate to that degree of bizarre deception.

BANNED

Don't forget a punch for that British kid from Houston, Texas.

You know, the one who wants his Daddy down.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Well to each his own. I personally feel they need to be a opposite as possible. George Reeves played it to close to Superman for my liking. The idea is to make you believe they can never be the same person.
    George Reeves, to me, is the silver screen's incarnation of the Golden Age Earth-Two Superman (Kal-L).

If Reeves and Reeve could have ever appeared together as Supermen, it would have been just like those Pre-COIE meetings between Kal-L and Kal-El.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    The comic book industry/medium is paradoxically the most fragile and most resilient thing in the world. Its noisiest critics insist every day that every cough, sputter, or dirty look threatens to destroy it, but it has survived every prediction of its demise for nearly eight decades.

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    George Reeves, to me, is the silver screen's incarnation of the Golden Age Earth-Two Superman (Kal-L).

If Reeves and Reeve could have ever appeared together as Supermen, it would have been just like those Pre-COIE meetings between Kal-L and Kal-El.

Very true. I did say that in a post on here as well. George Reeves was the Golden Age Superman, Christopher Reeve the Silver/ Bronze age Superman. We will see if Cavill could take the mantle of Bryne-Modern/ New 52 Superman.
    Originally Posted by Francisco
    In a few years no one other that some aging fanboys like you would remember anything about the Donner film.

Welcome to The Lexrules Hall of Shame...

Very true. I did say that in a post on here as well. George Reeves was the Golden Age Superman, Christopher Reeve the Silver/ Bronze age Superman. We will see if Cavill could take the mantle of Bryne-Modern/ New 52 Superman.
    Cavill would be New 52. The Byrne-era Superman I assign to, believe it or not, Brandon Routh (him, or Dean Cain).

The comic book industry/medium is paradoxically the most fragile and most resilient thing in the world. Its noisiest critics insist every day that every cough, sputter, or dirty look threatens to destroy it, but it has survived every prediction of its demise for nearly eight decades.

Speaking of Non the Destroyer, I think he survived SUPERMAN II to become a member of the Minnesota Timberwolves pro basketball team.

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Well, yeah.
    I mean, come on. Why is Non some retarded gorilla? Being the muscle is one thing, but making him unable to talk doesn't make him look animalistic and threatening. It makes him look stupid.
    Let's face it, these guys are getting completly outshined by Zod, and it's not just due to him being cool on his own.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

BANNED

Cavill would be New 52. The Byrne-era Superman I assign to, believe it or not, Brandon Routh (him, or Dean Cain).

I would totally agree that Cain was the Byrne-era Superman. I liked his show at the time it was on for the first few seasons but Cain never struck me as comfortable in costume. I couldn't believe in him because he didn't seem to believe in himself.

I think that's what separates Reeves and Reeve from the rest of the actors who played the role. This is why I've been stoked for MoS, Snyder and Cavill from the get go. Snyder knew that his lead has to own the suit and had Cavill audition in a Reeve-esque leotard where there's nowhere to hide.

Dean Cain. Routh was doing a mild Reeve Clark. Not enough to be annoying, but enough to be cringe-worthy.
    Cain played Clark as a confident guy that knew his job, much like the STAS version.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Well, yeah.
    I mean, come on. Why is Non some retarded gorilla? Being the muscle is one thing, but making him unable to talk doesn't make him look animalistic and threatening. It makes him look stupid.
    Let's face it, these guys are getting completly outshined by Zod, and it's not just due to him being cool on his own.
    Outshining your boss is not a desired trait in a flunkie.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Nah, George Reeves did it best, as far as Clark Kent.
    Reeve's Kent is just an excuse for bad comedy acting.
    I am so glad they did away with that in the comics, one of the few things that I can say Byrne did right.
    I understand all the talk about not wanting Clark to draw attention to himself, but it can't just be that, can it? He can't just be quiet and yet act basically the same as Superman and expect the disguise to work. What was convincing about Reeve wasn't that he made Clark the polar opposite of Superman, but he made the facade of a clumsy, socially awkward, cowardly man believable. He really does seem like a different person from Superman. Dean Cain's Clark doesn't seem like a different person from his Superman. A disguise that consists of only glasses needs more than just not drawing attention to oneself to work.
    People who chime in on vs. threads with "I don't like Superman at all, but he'd win.", STOP HELPING! Superman doesn't need your damning him with faint praise, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Outshining your boss is not a desired trait in a flunkie.
    It was for comedic effect, if anything.
    Same reason Luthor would employ a walking disaster like Ned Beatty's character.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    I understand all the talk about not wanting Clark to draw attention to himself, but it can't just be that, can it? He can't just be quiet and yet act basically the same as Superman and expect the disguise to work. What was convincing about Reeve wasn't that he made Clark the polar opposite of Superman, but he made the facade of a clumsy, socially awkward, cowardly man believable. He really does seem like a different person from Superman. Dean Cain's Clark doesn't seem like a different person from his Superman. A disguise that consists of only glasses needs more than just not drawing attention to oneself to work.
    See, I never liked that reasoning. I like the idea of Clark being the real person, and Superman the tool he uses to help people. His core values were formed from growing up under the parentage of the Kents, after all.
    Besides, people look like other people all the time. And with the generic look that Superman has, he probably has more that just ONE person in the entire world that shares his looks.
    When someone tells Clark he looks like Superman, he could just say, 'Yeah, I get that all the time.'