Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fianl Crisis

Grant Morrisson tends to change locations without indicating it. That's what I meant. Turn the page and suddenly you're somewhere else. Like a jumpcut, except this isn't a movie.

FINAL CRISIS suffered, at the time, from following that catastrophicly lousy COUNTDOWN TO FINAL CRISIS series, which (along with DEATH OF THE NEW GODS) killed off the main antagonists of FINAL CRISIS.

Even though it was easy to accept what Morrison was doing, reading both series back to back was incredibly annoying. A fresh read in2013 of just FINAL CRISIS would be wonderful. But I'll also associate the 2 and remember the points in the story when I would wince at something Grant did - not because it was bad, but because it was contradicting something terrible that happened a few months earlier.

It was a very odd reading experience for me - which stunk additionally because it involved the New Gods, my favorite family of DC characters, and their complete downfall and erasure from the DCU at the time.

FINAL CRISIS essentially was Grant Morrison saying "Ok, I'm gonna take all these guys who just got killed off over the last year, bring most of them back to life sorta, and then kill them off again. Oh, and on one of the last pages, I'm gonna do a single panel that somehow, with no explanation, brings a bunch of others back to life. And DC will do nothing with this. Ever."

I liked FINAL CRISIS, don't get me wrong. I just don't like the headache it gave me then and kinda gives me now.

Quote Originally Posted by SocializingMogo View Post
    Grant Morrisson tends to change locations without indicating it. That's what I meant. Turn the page and suddenly you're somewhere else. Like a jumpcut, except this isn't a movie.
    You're not alone on the scene changes. While we're all used to seeing movies or, especially, TV series go in and out of scenes to connected scenes with other characters, it was pretty novel for comics with FC. A lot more people were thrown off, I think, than anyone anticipated.

Morrison talked, in Super Gods, about wanting to put some poetry, some plot-shape back into superhero comics, comparing Secret Invasion's straightforward narrative to the poetic in-and-out-and-in layered fugue structure of The Kree/Skrull War (or Watchmen's very articulate structure). I think FC was probably, on some levels, an attempt to get that kind of structure going again. But, that's the thing with poetry, too, especially epic poetry but any decent poems in general; you've got to be on the ball. If you glaze over a lengthy Twentieth or Twenty-First Century poem, you lose the thread entirely, the meanings, but the narrative, too.

And, we're all used to skimming. Superhero comics usually encourage skimming. Action stories feel like they should be read fast. My neighbor, who doesn't really read American comics, started it out skimming, and by her own admission, had to go back and read slower. The comic feels like it's going six million miles per hour, but it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Walsh View Post
    FINAL CRISIS suffered, at the time, from following that catastrophicly lousy COUNTDOWN TO FINAL CRISIS series, which (along with DEATH OF THE NEW GODS) killed off the main antagonists of FINAL CRISIS.

Even though it was easy to accept what Morrison was doing, reading both series back to back was incredibly annoying. A fresh read in2013 of just FINAL CRISIS would be wonderful. But I'll also associate the 2 and remember the points in the story when I would wince at something Grant did - not because it was bad, but because it was contradicting something terrible that happened a few months earlier.

It was a very odd reading experience for me - which stunk additionally because it involved the New Gods, my favorite family of DC characters, and their complete downfall and erasure from the DCU at the time.

FINAL CRISIS essentially was Grant Morrison saying "Ok, I'm gonna take all these guys who just got killed off over the last year, bring most of them back to life sorta, and then kill them off again. Oh, and on one of the last pages, I'm gonna do a single panel that somehow, with no explanation, brings a bunch of others back to life. And DC will do nothing with this. Ever."

I liked FINAL CRISIS, don't get me wrong. I just don't like the headache it gave me then and kinda gives me now.
    I never read countdown. Maybe Final Crisis was conceived before some of the events of countdown happend? Does anyone know about the timeline for the creation of both of them?

I never read countdown. Maybe Final Crisis was conceived before some of the events of countdown happend? Does anyone know about the timeline for the creation of both of them?
    Final Crisis was planned first. Countdown was designed as the build-up to Final Crisis - but from what I gather (I haven't read Countdown) it completely failed.

Personally I don't think the main story Final Crisis is too confusing at all - and I absolutely loved it. The Superman Unlimited chapters though confused the hell out of me.

The fact that it all happend between a heartbeat (and Supes dying are being reborn on another realm didn't help either) was confusing ;)

Final Crisis was developed first. Countdown was done, seperate of Grant Morrison, to be its lead-in - and it's done in tandem with a Death of the New Gods miniseries, Countdown/DOTNG managed to f up a lot (basically, by having someone kill New Gods left and right - someone who escapes Countdown/DOTNG & never shows up in Final Crisis) and Grant apparently had to rework some stuff - but not everything - in FC to accomodate it.

These days, DC seems to have a more competent way of developing multi-title events (thank you Geoff Johns), but in 2007-8 it was not working quite so well...