Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Would Dick Grayson have become Nightwing on SUPER FRIENDS if the show had continued?

The SUPER FRIENDS animated series went out of production at around the same time that Dick Grayson made the switch from Robin to Nightwing in the comics, so Dick never became Nightwing on the series. Had SUPER FRIENDS continued through the end of the 1980s, however, do you think the show would have reflected changes in the comic and promoted Dick to Nightwing and introduced a version of Jason Todd as Robin?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    The comic book industry/medium is paradoxically the most fragile and most resilient thing in the world. Its noisiest critics insist every day that every cough, sputter, or dirty look threatens to destroy it, but it has survived every prediction of its demise for nearly eight decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The SUPER FRIENDS animated series went out of production at around the same time that Dick Grayson made the switch from Robin to Nightwing in the comics, so Dick never became Nightwing on the series. Had SUPER FRIENDS continued through the end of the 1980s, however, do you think the show would have reflected changes in the comic and promoted Dick to Nightwing and introduced a version of Jason Todd as Robin?

Not a chance. It's not like the show was that big on DC continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    It wasn't, but the DC Universe of the comics during the period that SUPER FRIENDS was in production (1973-1985) was fairly static itself and, at least until 1985, the SUPER FRIENDS universe more or less was contemporary with the DCU of the comics.

SUPER FRIENDS came to an end just around the time that DC began shaking up its status quo with COIE, etc.

The comic book industry/medium is paradoxically the most fragile and most resilient thing in the world. Its noisiest critics insist every day that every cough, sputter, or dirty look threatens to destroy it, but it has survived every prediction of its demise for nearly eight decades.

I just don't think the people behind the Super Friends would feel that beholden to DC continuity. They were making up their own characters, after all.

The final season introduced then-new characters like Firestorm and Cyborg, so they had some grasp on what was going on with DC. Or, more likely, DC 'asked' them to include them. I can see the same going for Nightwing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    I concur. No chance whatsoever. And not only did Hanna-Barbera not feel the need to match DC comics continuity, but they had about zero sense of internal continuity, either.

Yeah, they added Firestorm and Cyborg in the final couple seasons, but introducing variety is not the same as needlessly altering one of the most iconic characters of all-time. Especially with a target audience of young kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    The final season introduced then-new characters like Firestorm and Cyborg, so they had some grasp on what was going on with DC. Or, more likely, DC 'asked' them to include them. I can see the same going for Nightwing too.
    Final Seasons. Super Powers was two.

I'll add the "New" Lex Luthor and Brainiac as well, but nevertheless, Robin and Dick Grayson (although I'm sure his and Bruce's names were only referred in "The Fear" episode) was / still is, a household namebrand, a solid recognizable face, probably the 4th most so, even more so than Flash, Green Lantern, even Aquaman.

Same reason as why they kept "Robin" with only "Nightwing" as a fanserviceable nod to a dystopic future in Teen Titans.
    Last edited by ngroove; 05-14-2013 at 07:56 AM.

But hey, just for fun, who else could YOU see in "Super Powers", had they kept for another year or two?

- Captain Marvel-I mean- SHAZAM?? (Curse you, Marvel!)
    - Golden Pharaoh?
    - Orion?
    - Mister Miracle?
    - Mister Freeze?
    - General Zod?
    - Supergirl?
    - Batgirl?
    Last edited by ngroove; 05-14-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Switching to Nightwing in the cartoon may have been bad for the merchandising.

Besides, I don't think the cartoon really gave Dick much of a distinct personality . . . why would they want to bother explaining that he changed from one identity / costume to another?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Maybe if it had continued, the last incarnation of Superfriends: The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians was a bit more focused on actual character developing story arcs, had abandoned the old HB created Toth designs, and was now using the house style developed by Garcia Lopez.
    In Garcia Lopez's style guides mostly used for outside comics product and for the cartoons by 1985 Dick Grayson was appearing as Nightwing.

http://imageshack.us/a/img24/6547/ga...teentitans.jpg

So a next incarnation of Supefriends might have reflected that evolution.

By early 90's he was being merchandised as Nightwing too (ponytail-mullet and all) -
    Last edited by Guicho; 05-15-2013 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Switching to Nightwing in the cartoon may have been bad for the merchandising.

Besides, I don't think the cartoon really gave Dick much of a distinct personality . . . why would they want to bother explaining that he changed from one identity / costume to another?
    Plus, Robin's role within the series was as Batman's sidekick. And Nightwing was all about not being that.

But I guess in the end, it's hard to say. When I think of Superfriends, it definitely brings up very specific images and tone. But American cartoons were changing rapidly at the time thanks to generation 2.5 of the Japanese animation invasion. I don't think Superfriends would have shifted enough by 1990, but I guess we'll never really know.

It seems unlikely due to all the licencing and marketing ties. It took years and years for new depictions of Robin to filter down into the general toy/clothing/decal/whatever markets.
    Superhero prose fiction: Corrupts Absolutely?, Heroics, more suggestions at Superheronovels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Guicho View Post
    By early 90's he was being merchandised as Nightwing too (ponytail-mullet and all) -
    But also by the early 1990's they had started to introduce a new Robin into the franchise that would have some staying power.

As for the toy line you use as an example, that particular one didn't use just the mainstream characters. They also had several Batman variations that had appeared in other alternate stories, like a swashbuckling buccaneer Batman and a viking Batman.

http://cooltoyreview.com/flashback004.asp
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I do wonder how the young fans would have received a SUPER FRIENDS version of Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Jason Todd/Robin. For certain, the show would have needed to make Jason more like the Pre-COIE clone of Dick than the Post-COIE sociopath.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I loved that Viking Batman action figure, way cool.