Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quesada Hatred?

Default Quesada Hatred?

I don't have much to say about this.. It's just a simple question.

From my perspective, for better or worse, he's ran Marvel.. Which has been both good and bad. I dont understand how anyone could completely hate the guy for making awesome and terrible decisions. But I digress, I don't have much knowledge on the subject of Marvel heads or Quesada so I leave the question to you guys. Please illuminate.
    Buffy: Season 10~Angel & Faith Vol. 2~Serenity: Leaves on the Wind
    Ultimate: Spider-man~FF~All-New Ultimates
    Forever Evil~Batman~Green Arrow
    Hawkeye~Uncanny X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    I don't have much to say about this.. It's just a simple question.

From my perspective, for better or worse, he's ran Marvel.. Which has been both good and bad. I dont understand how anyone could completely hate the guy for making awesome and terrible decisions. But I digress, I don't have much knowledge on the subject of Marvel heads or Quesada so I leave the question to you guys. Please illuminate.
    I used to be pretty neutral in regards to a lot of his decisions, even when they seemed tinged by personal relationships more then actual merit in the finished product but after One More Day, I couldn't look at him the same. Everything seemed to go down hill, I couldn't see the good in him anymore but I wasn't left with hatred only the numbness of not respecting him (despite his talents as a artist) anymore.

Basically he's in charge and some fans don't agree with some of his edicts or directions he's taking the Marvel Universe in. I don't hate him personally, that seems rather silly. Hate the stories, not the man. The Spider-Man stuff springs to mind of stuff that got the fans riled up. I've even seen people mad at him for eliminating smoking in Marvel comics. I've liked more than I've disliked by far though.
    "Cyclops is gonna fry for what he did. Can't wait!" - Cancerous

The only hatred he gets is for One More day. Other than that..I dont see it.

Say what you will..that guy has creative genius bones.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

I was wondering about this recently, too. I've heard Dan DiDio get insulted endlessly by DC fans, no matter what he does. I have never understood the raging hatred. But I wondered how many people hated Joey Q. I think the amount of hate for him is much less. I guess it's easy to hate the boss of anything, from team owners to movie execs to the president, whoever.

For me, jacking up the price of most of the books to 3.99 has driven me away from almost all the Marvel books - I only read FF - so I can't say I have a great opinion of him. I blame Bendis, too - the guy I used to love on Powers so much was the first guy to have his book's price jacked up (the Avengers stuff) and it spread to the Ultimate books and then all over Marvel everywhere. So everything else they do right now is a moot point - 3.99 killed Marvel for me (and I'm afraid it's going to start killing DC soon, too.)

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

It's just the same with Didio at DC, some fans are really hating the man.

I don't have any problem with Quesada. Sure he's made some decisions I don't agree with but I can't say I have any problem with him.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    It's just the same with Didio at DC, some fans are really hating the man.
    From what I've seen Didio has done publicly enough to draw the ire towards him, Quesada on the other hand not so much outsideof OMD

Quote Originally Posted by Wellman View Post
    I used to be pretty neutral in regards to a lot of his decisions, even when they seemed tinged by personal relationships more then actual merit in the finished product but after One More Day, I couldn't look at him the same. Everything seemed to go down hill, I couldn't see the good in him anymore but I wasn't left with hatred only the numbness of not respecting him (despite his talents as a artist) anymore.
    I'm not even gonna try to argue that OMD wasn't crap, but people didnt hate Jeph Loeb after Ultimatum. It was because he never went anywhere good with it that made fans hate him. I feel the same numbness towards Loeb.

This is why I can't sympathize with this opinion. He did one terrible thing and I've heard he's done awesome things before and after. I know for a fact is a completely awesome artist.
    Buffy: Season 10~Angel & Faith Vol. 2~Serenity: Leaves on the Wind
    Ultimate: Spider-man~FF~All-New Ultimates
    Forever Evil~Batman~Green Arrow
    Hawkeye~Uncanny X-Men

Anyone who actually "hates" an editor or creator for their edicts and ideas is an idiot and need not be considered or given attention. That being said, I've disliked most of what he's done since he started NuMarvel in 2000. Marvel was actually looking very good coming out of Heroes Return in 1998, yet I still feel that that particular creative direction (moving forward while honoring the past and having fun with it) could have been maintained, with a mix of new and old talent, without the his lame-brain "Why can't everything be like Watchmen?" philosophy that ushered in a swarm of "indie talent" that, while often quite talented, couldn't tell a moving, fun, rollicking superhero tale to save their lives. The philosophy has been, more or less, completely wrong as I see it. I see "I want to tell this story. I'll use the Avengers and modify characterization as I see fit." as a opposed to "I want to tell this story, but I also want to tell a good Avengers story. I'll figure out a way to do both, but the characters and core concept are more important in the long term."

I also find Quesada strangely anti-intellectual. He admited that he has zero interest in history (not just Marvel history...history in general) and mandated the non-smoking clause, which flys against one of the primal tenets of creativity. If you dislike smoking, write a story with a smoking character that shows smoking in a bad light--don't "alter reality" for everyone simply to fall in line with an emotional whim. When fantasy is prevented from presenting real life concepts through its prism, a lot is lost. It certainly can't be art.
    "I was handed a chocolate bar and an M-1 rifle and told to go kill Hitler."--Jack "King" Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Brannon View Post
    Anyone who actually "hates" an editor or creator for their edicts and ideas is an idiot and need not be considered or given attention. That being said
    Aha! So they're all idiots, but you're different, right?

Seriously, you complain about people complaining, then call the man anti-intellectual. You don't see the disconnect with those two statements?
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Brannon View Post
    I also find Quesada strangely anti-intellectual. He admited that he has zero interest in history (not just Marvel history...history in general) and mandated the non-smoking clause, which flys against one of the primal tenets of creativity. If you dislike smoking, write a story with a smoking character that shows smoking in a bad light--don't "alter reality" for everyone simply to fall in line with an emotional whim. When fantasy is prevented from presenting real life concepts through its prism, a lot is lost. It certainly can't be art.
    I definitely see a bit of anti-intellectualism in Quesada and the rest of Marvel editorial. The motive is pretty transparent too - they believe that it can bring in new readers, not necessarily just by dumbing down the stories, but by washing away some of the nerd image so that the "cool kids" will start buying as well. This is not to say that Quesada is not intelligent, but he certainly goes out of his way to appear more crude and unsophisticated than he actually is, and that's just not a good idea. Any customer has to believe that the people making the product are substantially more knowledgeable, the minute they start to think that they could step in and do better the petty complaints will never end.

I don't hate him. He's an amazing artist and seems to have done some good for the company.
    He's made some bad choices too, including the unforgivably awful OMDIT mess

Good artist/not so good EIC.

But at least he wasn't Shooter.
    "Mistah Joker, he dead."

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    I'm not even gonna try to argue that OMD wasn't crap, but people didnt hate Jeph Loeb after Ultimatum.
    I don't hate either guy, but I do recognize that they both screwed up royally with OMD and Ultimatum. It tarnishes them.

I think he hates Stan Lee. I mean just look at Spider-Man.
    Pull List: Saga, East of West, Aphrodite