Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Sword of Sorcery #8

Eclipso brings destruction to the heart of House Amethyst in an epic 30-page story! Will Amaya finally master her heritage? On this day, a princess dies!

Full preview here.

For a book called Sword and Sorcery they sure do a lot of standing around and talking . . . maybe that contributed to this books demise? But seriously, DC should have given Amethyst the complete book and they would not have to cancel it, if that title failed they could just change to another story with swords and uhm, more sorcery. Seriously . . . DC has got to do something about canceling everything, they're starting to look like they can't keep a book in print . . . its causing a lot of insecurity in their readers.
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." ~Isaac Asimov

I really like the series

I guess I was the only one

Quote Originally Posted by Gailim View Post
    I really like the series

I guess I was the only one
    nah, i liked it too. shame it was canceled so early on.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

This didn't seem so bad, it would probably still be selling if the lead characters all got bats slapped onto their chests. Seriously, I'm a major Batgirl fan but I'm sick of the glut of bat-books in the DCU. I think DC's attempts at shoring their sales with more and more bat-books conditions some readers to only want those titles, and leaves them unwilling to be open to try to read different characters and genres.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Yeah, I bought most of these. I would have continued if DC had the balls to keep going and actually grow their readership.

i won't be able to get it until a fair from now, so... what happened?

Optimistically, due to positive reviews, maybe they'll just dump the SoS and just re-launch it as just Amethyst, the Stalker back-up tale was disappointing anyway. Aaron Lopresti was firing on all cylinders in the art, and was enjoying the re-imaging of this character and her world since it was destroyed by Spectre before the re-boot. But no, we can't even get to issue 5 before DC decides it needs more room for MORE Bat-books :-X Frankly I'm amazed Dial H is still hanging it there at this point.
    See my art gallery here: http://theblock.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by theblock View Post
    Frankly I'm amazed Dial H is still hanging it there at this point.
    Friend, are you sitting down?

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    i won't be able to get it until a fair from now, so... what happened?
    Amy's mother and aunt transfer their magic to her, making her powerful enough to seal Eclipso back in the diamond, which then teleports away. Then they're told that there's going to be an eclipse in five months which will probably give Eclipso the strength to escape again, and it finishes with "The End?" No mention of Amy's dad from #6.

I guess maybe it might get a follow up in an arc of JLD?

makes sense if its carried over into JLD, especially since Amy presumably has some serious score to settle with Constantine; and there probably going to need recruits after trinity war (i can see Andrew back as well)

also, there's no chance that gemworld might be one of the realms of magic that the power of shazam is apparently connected to, and the loss of magic that caused the exodus might have something to do with the wizard sealing magic away?

Wow, this issue was exciting. Marx and Lopresti hit it out of the park with this one. It was a lot to fit into 30 pages, but it was well paced and flowed well. Lopresti got in some good panels, especially Amaya pulling Kaala into the diamond; it reminded me of some of Mandrake's panels in the Spectre v. 3 (and that's hard to pull off with computerized coloring).

I'm sorry to see this title end, but what a great send-off.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Worlds' Finest, My Little Pony, The Flash, Birds of Prey, Batman '66

i'm sad so see this title go. it took me a few issues to warm up to this book, but i've really enjoyed it. and man, what a great final issue. Amy's battle with Eclipso was awesome. hopefully, Amy and friends will show up in Justice League Dark.

This was one of my favorite books, DC got this wrong. It's very hard for books that aren't superhero survive now. demon knights, I,vampire, dial H good books but poor sales. The Amethyst short cartoon is good, should have a chance to get full episodes.

This was a solid issue that did a decent job of closing the series, but it was hard to read it and not feel sad for what could have been. I really enjoyed this series and thought it was one of the better books DC was putting out. Marx was clearly just getting started when she had to abruptly shift direction and get the Eclipso storyline done in time; fortunately I think Eclipso was a great fit for this book and works well as Amy's #1 villain.