Thread: Rouges

Default Rogues

Ok guys I think its pretty much unanimous that Batman has the best rogues gallery in DC comics and arguably all of comics. Who do you think has the next best rogues gallery in DC?
    Last edited by insideguy; 05-12-2013 at 02:11 PM.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Good question, I hardly pay attention to rouges. I think Harley Quinn. Her rouge is pretty good still under all those other layers of makeup. I think Xanadu is up there as well. Pretty sure I've seen some good rouge on her.
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    Good question, I hardly pay attention to rouges. I think Harley Quinn. Her rouge is pretty good still under all those other layers of makeup. I think Xanadu is up there as well. Pretty sure I've seen some good rouge on her.
    LOL LOL. Yea i think I messed that up thanks:)

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by insideguy View Post
    LOL LOL. Yea i think I messed that up thanks:)

But jesting aside, I think the only other candidates are really Superman (Lex, Doomsday, Parasite, Zod, Metallo, Bizarro, Brainiac, Mr. Mxyzptlk, etc) and Flash (Grodd, The Rogues, Reverse Flash/Professor Zoom, other Zoom, etc)? Maybe GL? Or the Justice League's rogues (Darkseid, Despero, Amazo, various groups/organizations).

My personal favorite, and I think most feasible as genuine threats are Flash's rogue gallery. What they lack in quantity, they make up for in quality, imo - Grodd, The Rogues, and Professor Zoom are all pretty nasty...
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

I'd say Flash. The entire concept of a group of villains that abide by an honor code and look out for each other and also call themselves "The Rogues" is a brilliant concept that isn't even present in Batman's traditional rogues gallery. Add to that villains like Gorilla Grodd, Zoom, and others, and you have a very solid rogues gallery.

I'd also say Superman is a good candidate: Lex Luthor, Bizarro, Zod, Parasite, Brainiac, Doomsday, etc.

I'd say that the best of them go in this order: Batman, Flash, Superman, Justice League, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Hawkman, and then pretty much everyone else. People are probably wondering why I haven't listed the Teen Titans, but other than some fan favorites from the '80s, it's really a lot of guys like Mad Mod, Ding Dong Daddy and Captain Rumble who are inextricably bound to the youth culture of their era.

The funny thing about Rogues Galleries is that some of them take decades to build up into something worthwhile (Superman, Wonder Woman) while in other cases practically the entire thing arises from the first few years of publishing (Flash, Green Lantern, Justice League and Spider-Man over at the Marvelous Competition). One of the very cool things about picking up the first Flash Showcase volume is getting first appearances by characters like Captain Cold, Gorilla Grodd, Mirror Master, Trickster and Weather Wizard all in a row.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

I think Superman has an often under-appreciated Rogues gallery. I always loved Metallo (especially in Superman TAS - one episode has him with amnesia and befriending two young children); Toy Man (again, Superman TAS really did it best); Parasite; Ultra-Humanite... generally the unloved/under-utilised members of Superman's rogues that are, in actuality, really excellent when done well.

That said, for Rogues which are actually consistently done well and great for off-the-wall nonsense, the Flash rogues are def. up there.

Quote Originally Posted by sirjustin86 View Post
    I think Superman has an often under-appreciated Rogues gallery. I always loved Metallo (especially in Superman TAS - one episode has him with amnesia and befriending two young children); Toy Man (again, Superman TAS really did it best); Parasite; Ultra-Humanite... generally the unloved/under-utilised members of Superman's rogues that are, in actuality, really excellent when done well.

That said, for Rogues which are actually consistently done well and great for off-the-wall nonsense, the Flash rogues are def. up there.
    I kind of like the traditional Toyman better. I mean, I understand the appeal of the murderous doll-child approach, but there's something to be said for the old-fashioned toymaker version. He's like kindly old Gepetto gone nuts, y'know.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.