View Poll Results: What is Marvel's biggest mistake when it comes to Spider-Man?

Voters
125. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • "One More Day" elimination of Pete & MJ's marriage

44 35.20%
  • "Superior Spider-Man" and replacing Peter with Spider-Ock (in Pete's body!)

17 13.60%
  • Both are equally heinous

16 12.80%
  • Neither one has alienated me

34 27.20%
  • Other (please explain in a post)

14 11.20%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

For me, it was that Roy Thomas Savage Land story in ASM #103-104. JJJ a field man? Spider-Man's greatest foe is quicksand? Gwen Stacy being brought along just for cheesecake? Kraven choosing Gwen for his queen? Peter shooting a gun? Killing Gog? Kraven not believing in honor?

What a crock! Spider-Man has been dead to me since that time.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    For me, it was that Roy Thomas Savage Land story in ASM #103-104. JJJ a field man? Spider-Man's greatest foe is quicksand? Gwen Stacy being brought along just for cheesecake? Kraven choosing Gwen for his queen? Peter shooting a gun? Killing Gog? Kraven not believing in honor?

What a crock! Spider-Man has been dead to me since that time.
    God, I am so tired of hearing you moan about that story! Get over it!
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    I think the better question is how many "people who have given up on the Spidey books" have actually stopped buying it twice a month?
    I've not touched a Spidey book in over 5 years. Apparently, Superior Spider-Man is appearing in Deadpool # 10; so that issue will be my first exposure to the character.
    I'm not looking forward to it.
    R.I.P. Don't pee in the (Dead)pool, November 2007 - January 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    The Doc Ock's possession is easy to fix. Just restore Peter, and you have everything back to place, except a damaged reputation (which isn't something new for Spidey).

Mephisto's retcon was horrible and destroyed a lot of character growth. The clone saga was almost as bad, but easier to fix.

Spidey should have been allowed to grow, to have his spider-baby girl like in all those alternate futures, to find a job as scientist, to bury his aunt (her resurrection was another horrible retcon)...etc. We all loved teenaged Spidey and college Spidey, but expecting adult Spidey to live and behave like his younger self is just stupid, he has to change. I think older Spidey should have become a recognized scientist and the spiritual leader of New York urban heroes, the same way the Avengers are global, the 4F are cosmic and the X-Men are racial,, maybe even training a New Warriors-like group.

Agreed there needs to be sustained character growth, it's knowing that events actually matter in the long term that gives them inherent meaning.

Dying Wish goes "Boink" Farmernudie's Avatar

I'm still reading TPB's...however, i used to buy every issue AND the tpb's and Spidey was and always was my favorite comic book character before OMD.

However, OMD was so forced and so horribly written...it left a very bad taste in my mouth. I see Spider-man as a sort of editorial mandate to experiment with now, and less the character deeply involved with continuity as he once was, since a chunk of his continuity never happened but somehow mystically all happened the same now. Plus, the unmasking that lead up to OMD felt like a gimmick during Civil War that they could just undo with a magical devil deal. It was all just bad.

Superior New Day is like a long ongoing story arc about body swaps. They had to renumber the series even for something that is an "Arc" at best in my book. And we all know it will eventually get re-numbered back. This is why i hate collecting and wonder why bother. Spider-man used to be more story-centric and character-centric in my opinion...and is now just a character to get played around with and experimented with when an event (Civil War) or whatnot comes along...like.."wow it'd be shocking IF spider-man did THIS or THAT!!"...but now with Ock inside Peter it's sorta interesting briefly like an after school freaky friday movie type way but the re-numbering and re-titling the book is just over kill in the gimmick department if you ask me.

But as others have stated...Superior New Day is going to be brief in the overall scheme of things, while OMD changed past and present with pigeons & bricks and was just nonsensical pretty much...ending with part of Pete's soul crying out/tormented for all eternity with knowledge of his deed while he is unaware of the past-present-future he threw away (and his wife) for his elderly aunt who i love...but the devil deal made no sense, neither did the pigeons or bricks, nor the magic bullet.

I might add, where i used to be EXCITED to see Spidey in OTHER books...now it is a groaner...more so now that it is Doc Ock and not spidey anyway.
    Ok....Superior Spider-Man is kinda interesting, i admit....that being said....i miss Peter Parker and that there isn't a "real" spider-man monthly being published

It's not an arc. Peter's dead. Moving on...

DD & BP: secret BFF's FriendRoss's Avatar

I can understand the reasoning behind omd. I can appreciate the story behind superior.

The clone stuff and mystic spider stuff sounds like total crap.

I guess it's just a matter of what you read, when, and at what point in your life. I'm out of the superior business when my prepaid subscription runs out. I've dropped avenging. I've had enough of dock ock hero. It had the same life span and gangam style
    Last edited by FriendRoss; 05-13-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DV1Band View Post
    It's not an arc. Peter's dead. Moving on...
    Hey, is it okay if we talk about why we gave up on a certain book, in a thread specifically concerning and geared towards people who gave up said book, without you telling us to "get over it" every five minutes?

(which, by the way, has worked exactly zero times in the history of mankind and really only serves as a socially acceptable way to say 'f*ck you' to someone you don't agree with)

I realize that, normally, somebody coming in to an unrelated thread to randomly complain about how something you love 'was way better before and now it's been ruined forever' is kind of a downer.
    So you have my sympathy, especially since it happens all the freakin' time.
    But this isn't really that situation.
    Last edited by Striderblack01; 05-13-2013 at 07:11 PM.

I voted neither because of how the thread is worded. OMD initially alienated me as a reader but in the long wrong, I don't see either story as a bad mistake.

If I had to vote for one it be OMD. Not because I disliked OMD and I like Superior even though I really disliked OMD and I really like Superior, but because one story changes the stories that came before it and one doesn't.

I feel that you cannot really compare the two stories. OMD was not meant to be irreversible. It was the more alienating story and it has lasting effects and consequences on 20 years of story before it. It not just ended a 20 year status quo, it made so that it never happened at all. Superior is not only reversible, it is absolutely at some point in time going to be reversed. Peter is going to come back as Spider-Man in his body. The marriage is never coming back.

For me, Superior is much more comparable to The Clone Saga. It presents a new Spider-Man that looks just like Peter Parker but isn't. It's a mega arc with twists and turns and in the end, Peter Parker is going to be Spider-Man.

I think if anything, OMD is more comparable to ASM 700 but this is still off. OMD is unique and alone in the Spider-Man world... It was bold and daring. I hope a writer will return to the story and have Peter and MJ defeat Mephisto and remember their lives the way they actually happened but I'm not holding my breath.

I suppose Parallel Lives is comparable to OMD. That changed MJ's status quo and affected 20 years of stories that preceded it too...
    Kevin Nichols is jealous of my friendship with Oldschool.

I've seen it mentioned here a couple times, but why don't more people get upset about Straczynski's mystic totem nonsense? That's a greater attack on the core of the Spider-Man mythos than anything. Peter was the victim of an accident, and could have himself chosen to do great or terrible things with the powers he received, or to do nothing at all. His constant struggle to do the right thing is the heart of the character. Making him "chosen for greatness" by OTHERS eliminates that.

That and I don't understand the reason for mucking up a fun, sci-fi, atomic age origin in favor of New Age woo-woo. I hated what that guy did to Spider-Man, but ya know what? I got over it.
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

I wasn't too pleased about it at the time. Especially not fond of the Other. JMS era had a lot of stinkers. But it's bygones now, the years has passed.
    Last edited by Lars C; 05-13-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanParkerMan View Post
    it is absolutely at some point in time going to be reversed. Peter is going to come back as Spider-Man in his body. The marriage is never coming back.

I hope a writer will return to the story and have Peter and MJ defeat Mephisto and remember their lives the way they actually happened but I'm not holding my breath. .
    *cough* Matt Fraction *cough* I don't know what way you get Pete and MJ to overcome the mess, but I've been waiting for Fraction to get a chance to do Spidey because he's one of the only guys of the past few years I've seen show he knows how and why these two characters work so well together.

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post
    Hey, is it okay if we talk about why we gave up on a certain book, in a thread specifically concerning and geared towards people who gave up said book, without you telling us to "get over it" every five minutes?

(which, by the way, has worked exactly zero times in the history of mankind and really only serves as a socially acceptable way to say 'f*ck you' to someone you don't agree with)

I realize that, normally, somebody coming in to an unrelated thread to randomly complain about how something you love 'was way better before and now it's been ruined forever' is kind of a downer.
    So you have my sympathy, especially since it happens all the freakin' time.
    But this isn't really that situation.
    "Peter's dead and he's NOT COMING BACK." from the current writer.
    Pull List: Saga, East of West, Aphrodite

This ain't no place for no hero
    This ain't no place for no better man
    This ain't no place for no hero
    To call "home"
    Probably how some folk feel about the state of the Spider-man comics these days.
    Be all you can be.

Quote Originally Posted by ishikabe View Post
    "Peter's dead and he's NOT COMING BACK." from the current writer.
    I gave up in 2007. Who is the current writer and why does he hate Peter?

:)