Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Suicide Squad, #20

Ales Kot and Patrick Zircher arrive onto "Suicide Squad" #20, and their debut issue holds a lot of promise, although the sudden creative team switch has some rough transitions here and there.

Full review here.

I like the art, the story looks interesting ( forgetting the details of the last issue as stated) but the one thorn in my side is James Jr. Perhaps a good fit except that in the last issue of "Batgirl" James fell off a pier, presumed dead, after quite the build up over many issues. Soooo that was fast. I guess we're to assume waller used the serum on him like had been done to deadshot...hmm magic life juice, maybe Damian could get some of that sweet elixir. I feel Im gong to be bitter about this for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Ales Kot and Patrick Zircher arrive onto "Suicide Squad" #20, and their debut issue holds a lot of promise, although the sudden creative team switch has some rough transitions here and there.

Full review here.
    Gr8 start.

As much as dis all sounds gd.....WHERE D HELL IS BLACK SPIDER?

We/SZ heavily applaud A.K(Alex Kot) 4 getting rid of dat hideous Iceberg xcter but dammit d SS wud b much betta & kooler with Black Spider on d team as a regular ongoing member(equal 2 Deadshot & Harley).

Black Spider wud b gr8 on d team bcuz...

1) Dis a d xcter who's is a combination of:

a) Punisher(all his family was killd/murderd den he resorts 2 enforce ultimate vigilante justice(by way of supreme ninjustu brutality) on all crimedoer...dat is dishing-out death 2 all baddies)

&

b) Snake eyes(add Ninja Assasin movie & Sho Kosugi)...Black Spider is supposed 2 b a supa-ninja of d 21 century, d ultimate assasin & murderer of badguys)

Hw wud any writer fail 2 find anything amazing is dat.....other dan d terrible Adam Glass.

2) With d entire current line-up of d team being a collection of mentality demented & psykologically afflictd individuals, der is a need 4 @ least 1 person more & most sane dan d rest of dem which is where Black Spider cums in....of course Black Spider can still hv his unresolved, unbroken & unshakable revenge issues being hauntd by d death of his family.

3) Waller wud also nd sum1 more reliable dan a team collection of unpredictables with ONLY a bomb in their heads as Wallers ONLY advantage gv or take manipulating Deadshot &/or Unknown Soldier 2 suit her needs but Waller is smart enuff 2 know dat d team still has a heavy aura of unpredictability even those she may b manipulating cud easily turn of her. Dis is where Black Spider cums in, a vigilante superhero who kills, can very much handle himself even against most of d SS members & doesnt require coercion. Hek Black Spider can b d teams silent bak-up who cums-n when d team gets in a jam or very triky situation...add 2 dat Waller can hv Black Spider following d team unknowing 2 d members(ALL OF DEM....not sum b.s dat Deadshot, Unknown Soldier or Harley say "We knew u(Black Spider) hv been following us d entire time" cliche nonsense...) while reporting bak 2 Waller.

4) Motivation:Black Spider probably accepts such work in search of sum clarity in terms of whether or not he/ Black Spider is a same as murderous criminals he h8s so much perhaps as a wrangle in his conscience of "By proactively & brutally killing so many criminals & 'badguys' does dat mk him exactly as same as d monsters who ferociously murdered his family" & whether der is such a thing as a gd criminal.

And of course it wud b gd if Waller & Black Spider had workd 2gthr b4....not necessarily a luv relationship but work(inter-agency collaborations, missions, etc) which may explain y Waller sought him out due 2 d trust she has him.

Yeah, we/SZ know Adam Glass shat allover Black Spider with d whole Regulus thingy & y'all r tinking dat such a story can no longer b adoptd BUT alas der a solutions.

a) Black Spider was captured & cloned by Regulus's crew sumthing ago after he joind Waller & he SS program & d clone is who tried 2 kill Waller(& her mum)& betrayd d team....so d Black Spider dey hv lockd-up is not d real Black Spider. Waller shd b able 2 pik-up on dis after a few more interrogations(under A.K's/current writer's pen) , l8r using torture 4 d clone 2 reveal whr d real Black Spider is. She kills d clone(4 trying d kill her motha) & sends d SS on a rescue mission. Tada...Black Spider is bak in d fold. Of course such as plot can b written in all kinds of variations ending with Black Spider bak on d team, Black Spider revealling 2 Waller wat Regulus's ultimate goal is & y.

Thoughts?

"it doesn't show much respect for the readership to so blatantly events from one issue prior."

Is this irony?

Yeah, I don't think anyone who was still reading Suicide Squad by the time Glass got finished necessarily cared that Kot isn't following his ideas to the Tee. In fact I think more people are glad he's sort of abandoning most of the stuff altogether.
    Currrently Reading- Suicide Squad,Justice League,Batwoman,Batman,Batman and Robin,Detective Comics, Wonder Woman,Batman Eternal,Mighty Avengers,All new X-factor,Justice League 3000 and Harley Quinn

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

OK. This looks interesting. A new writer showing promise is always good news. I am wondering why DC editorial let the writer just dump so much ongoing plot for the restart. Maybe they are loosening up a bit in an effort to help struggling franchises. At any rate, I will jump in here to see how it goes.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

I read the issue and it really reads like a first issue as much as anything else. It is there to reset the story and the characters for readers. I will probably give it a few issues to see how it goes. Since Deadeye and Harley are pretty interesting characters already. James, Jr. showing up gives the book a grade A creepy psychopath. I don't know the others as well but the writer is clearly setting up his own world for a team book. It has the makings of being pretty interesting.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

So this issue was awesome, hopefully more people pick it up. Definitely adding it to my list.