Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Santa Monica
    Posts
    1,020

    Default Billie Joe Armstrong calls PSY "the herpes of music"

    See what Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong thinks of PSY (Oppa Gangnum Style!) here. See PSY's reply here.

  2. #2

    Default

    That's funny I thought the herpes of music was Greenday.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

  3. #3
    RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    16,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    That's funny I thought the herpes of music was Greenday.
    While I'm not a big fan of Green Day, they do have a couple of good songs.

    You can't say that about the other guy.
    I'm on Twitter

    "I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Santa Monica
    Posts
    1,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    While I'm not a big fan of Green Day, they do have a couple of good songs.

    You can't say that about the other guy.
    "Gangnum Style" and "Gentleman" say hello.

  5. #5
    Suspect Device Romero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ACS View Post
    "Gangnum Style" and "Gentleman" say hello.
    He said GOOD songs.

    I actually don't care about Psy. It seems like sort of a novelty that he became popular in the West and that sort of goes away after awhile.

    Meanwhile, Green Day are FAR past their expiration date and just won't stop so.

    I don't know who the winner is in this one...
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

  6. #6
    RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    16,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ACS View Post
    "Gangnum Style" and "Gentleman" say hello.
    You and I have vastly different definitions of the word "good".
    I'm on Twitter

    "I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Santa Monica
    Posts
    1,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    You and I have vastly different definitions of the word "good".
    It's not even my definition. I'm going back chart performance and units sold, not to mention pop culture phenomenon. Whilst "Gentleman" is no "Gangnum Style" in terms of its overall performance and influence, the two songs collectively can be considered hits for Psy. How exactly am I supposed know that "good" is meant to mean "appeals to Deathstroke subjectively" rather than the much more intuitive "has objectively succeeded at release"?
    Last edited by ACS; 05-13-2013 at 03:59 PM.

  8. #8

    Default

    Popularity is not the same as quality.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Santa Monica
    Posts
    1,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    Popularity is not the same as quality.
    And "good" is not the same as "great," but dismissing two hot singles because you personally dislike them is extremely closed-minded.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Coal Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    If he's referring to songs as novelty hits, he might be on to something. If he's condemning K-pop as a whole, he needs to go back to rehab.

    One could just as easily say that overblown rock operas are the herpes of music.

  11. #11
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,699

    Default

    PSY has the disadvantage of the language barrier and cultural divide. Any koreans have anything to say on the matter?
    Last edited by Shikidum; 05-13-2013 at 09:53 PM.

  12. #12
    Be Right Back... Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Just above Tasmania
    Posts
    34,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ACS View Post
    It's not even my definition. I'm going back chart performance and units sold, not to mention pop culture phenomenon.
    Popular =/= good.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

  13. #13
    Be Right Back... Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Just above Tasmania
    Posts
    34,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ACS View Post
    And "good" is not the same as "great," but dismissing two hot singles because you personally dislike them is extremely closed-minded.
    There's nothing wrong with dismissing shit music as shit music.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Santa Monica
    Posts
    1,020

    Default

    I'd like to point out here that I'm not this huge fan of Psy. I do feel he acquitted himself very well (despite the language barrier) and acted like the bigger man. Mad respect to him for being a true gentleman in that regard.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    There's nothing wrong with dismissing shit music as shit music.
    Music and the enjoyment thereof, is so subjective that I can't ever really have deep arguments about it. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Just because you hate a song (or songs) doesn't make you right. Just because you can find other people who agree with you doesn't make you right. My point in referencing the chart performance was to point out that there are just as many people who like Psy's music as hate it. How can you say that half the people are just flat out wrong in this way?

  15. #15
    Be Right Back... Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Just above Tasmania
    Posts
    34,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ACS View Post
    Music and the enjoyment thereof, is so subjective that I can't ever really have deep arguments about it. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Just because you hate a song (or songs) doesn't make you right. Just because you can find other people who agree with you doesn't make you right. My point in referencing the chart performance was to point out that there are just as many people who like Psy's music as hate it. How can you say that half the people are just flat out wrong in this way?
    Quite easily.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •