Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Inside "Suicide Squad's" New Member with Ales Kot

The new creative team for DC's "Suicide Squad" fired out the gate with a resurrected Deadshot, a manipulative Unknown Soldier and a surprising new member. Ales Kot explained it all to CBR News.

Full article here.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Interesting stuff (per usual w/ Kot interviews). I like the idea of mixing JGJ's genuine psychopathy and genuine "love" for Waller (it's seemingly contradictory, but can still probably be pulled off in a narrative) and means to impress her. I'm also eager to read #21 just to see the outcome of Unknown Soldier v Deadshot.
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

I really like what this guy is doing and I hope he does a good job going forward. I love what he's doing with deadshot and James Gordan Jr., I really thought he could have been a better batgirl villian, but being on Suicide Squad is awesome to. I barely know who Unknown Soldier is but he seems pretty badass. Also,giant monster in vegas? Awesome, can't wait.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Kot gives great interviews, I'm really excited to see where he takes this book. I feel like he's going to be a big deal in comics someday.

As much as dis all sounds gd.....WHERE D HELL IS BLACK SPIDER?

We/SZ heavily applaud A.K(Alex Kot) 4 getting rid of dat hideous Iceberg xcter but dammit d SS wud b much betta & kooler with Black Spider on d team as a regular ongoing member(equal 2 Deadshot & Harley).

Black Spider wud b gr8 on d team bcuz...

1) Dis a d xcter who's is a combination of:

a) Punisher(all his family was killd/murderd den he resorts 2 enforce ultimate vigilante justice(by way of supreme ninjustu brutality) on all crimedoer...dat is dishing-out death 2 all baddies)

&

b) Snake eyes(add Ninja Assasin movie & Sho Kosugi)...Black Spider is supposed 2 b a supa-ninja of d 21 century, d ultimate assasin & murderer of badguys)

Hw wud any writer fail 2 find anything amazing is dat.....other dan d terrible Adam Glass.

2) With d entire current line-up of d team being a collection of mentality demented & psykologically afflictd individuals, der is a need 4 @ least 1 person more & most sane dan d rest of dem which is where Black Spider cums in....of course Black Spider can still hv his unresolved, unbroken & unshakable revenge issues being hauntd by d death of his family.

3) Waller wud also nd sum1 more reliable dan a team collection of unpredictables with ONLY a bomb in their heads as Wallers ONLY advantage gv or take manipulating Deadshot &/or Unknown Soldier 2 suit her needs but Waller is smart enuff 2 know dat d team still has a heavy aura of unpredictability even those she may b manipulating cud easily turn of her. Dis is where Black Spider cums in, a vigilante superhero who kills, can very much handle himself even against most of d SS members & doesnt require coercion. Hek Black Spider can b d teams silent bak-up who cums-n when d team gets in a jam or very triky situation...add 2 dat Waller can hv Black Spider following d team unknowing 2 d members(ALL OF DEM....not sum b.s dat Deadshot, Unknown Soldier or Harley say "We knew u(Black Spider) hv been following us d entire time" cliche nonsense...) while reporting bak 2 Waller.

4) Motivation:Black Spider probably accepts such work in search of sum clarity in terms of whether or not he/ Black Spider is a same as murderous criminals he h8s so much perhaps as a wrangle in his conscience of "By proactively & brutally killing so many criminals & 'badguys' does dat mk him exactly as same as d monsters who ferociously murdered his family" & whether der is such a thing as a gd criminal.

And of course it wud b gd if Waller & Black Spider had workd 2gthr b4....not necessarily a luv relationship but work(inter-agency collaborations, missions, etc) which may explain y Waller sought him out due 2 d trust she has him.

Yeah, we/SZ know Adam Glass shat allover Black Spider with d whole Regulus thingy & y'all r tinking dat such a story can no longer b adoptd BUT alas der a solutions.

a) Black Spider was captured & cloned by Regulus's crew sumthing ago after he joind Waller & he SS program & d clone is who tried 2 kill Waller(& her mum)& betrayd d team....so d Black Spider dey hv lockd-up is not d real Black Spider. Waller shd b able 2 pik-up on dis after a few more interrogations(under A.K's/current writer's pen) , l8r using torture 4 d clone 2 reveal whr d real Black Spider is. She kills d clone(4 trying d kill her motha) & sends d SS on a rescue mission. Tada...Black Spider is bak in d fold. Of course such as plot can b written in all kinds of variations ending with Black Spider bak on d team, Black Spider revealling 2 Waller wat Regulus's ultimate goal is & y.

Thoughts?

Whoops....dp!
    Last edited by SilverZeal; 05-10-2013 at 02:39 AM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Well I don't get what you're saying man.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-10-2013 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Well I don't get what you're saying man.
    Just sayin dat A.K/Alex Kot shd put Black Spider is betta use(not as a retarded supa-villan like Adam Glass did).

Great first issue! Really looking forward to the rest of his run!

I like what Ales Kot is doing with this series.
    Its good to see the concept of Amanda Waller using her brain to run the squad and not being lead by her emotions all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post
    Just sayin dat A.K/Alex Kot shd put Black Spider is betta use(not as a retarded supa-villan like Adam Glass did).
    At least he's not dead(not like it would matter on this title)
    Currrently Reading- Suicide Squad,Justice League,Batwoman,Batman,Batman and Robin,Detective Comics, Wonder Woman,Batman Eternal,Mighty Avengers,All new X-factor,Justice League 3000 and Harley Quinn

Bad news for the Vertigo readers (I am one of them). There will be no more Unknown Soldier title to be published under the Vertigo imprint.

I think it's time for this imprint to fly with its own wings and to kick ass the DC Head's Office. There will be a very hard debut period, but with only creator-owned titles, Vertigo will survive and rise again to the Edge, like the Phoenix.

I really hate DC Comics for its policies on its characters. Finally, the New 52 was a smoke screen to bring back to home all its characters which have had various success under their time with the Vertigo flag.
    2000 AD of course!!!
    All Hail The Mighty Tharg

Wow! This was seriously an amazing issue. This guy is a future DC star if they don't scare him away. So great to have JGJ and harley written by someone who isn't awful.
    Grandparents dead - please no jokes

make mine DC, thanks

Seriously? I gave SS a shot, bought all the issues to date, but the latest one is the last one for me. It's not the Suicide Squad if no one can die and stay dead for even one issue. Too bad too, that was the last regular universe DC comic on my pull list. I went from 25 a month to none in a little over two years.