Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Poll: Which Character Has Marvel's "Iron Man" Movies Adapted Best?

Which Character Has Marvel's "Iron Man" Movies Adapted Best?

Of all the characters to appear in Marvel Studios' "Iron Man" films to date, which has made the most successful leap from the page to the silver screen?

Vote on the poll here.

I'm not familiar with comic Obediah Stane but I think movie Obediah has been my favorite character from this franchise. Tony is a close second. Although, I have to say RDJ's Stark is a lot more jokey than comic Stark so I'm not sure it's the most faithful adaptation.
    Last edited by maczero; 05-09-2013 at 01:58 PM.
    "Honest Abe's a 'mo!" - Hank Venture from the Venture Bros.

Odds are, likely far away from you.............or Toronto

Does Killian really belong on here? Pretty sure he wasn't in the comics so technically he wasn't adapted (though I'm sure that'll change eventually).
    Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and you'll have the time of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Nominus View Post
    Does Killian really belong on here? Pretty sure he wasn't in the comics so technically he wasn't adapted (though I'm sure that'll change eventually).
    I wouldn't be surprised if Killian was the reason for the poll. The whole he is the Mandarin thing seems to have bothered some hardcore fans.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    I'm not familiar with comic Obediah Stane but I think movie Obediah has been my favorite character from this franchise. Tony is a close second.
    Agreed. I thought Jeff Bridges owned the first Iron Man movie.

Stark wins would be absurd. Downey Jr is identical in appearance but the personality of the film does not match the 616.
    By Faltine and Ikonn and Dark Valtorr -- By Seraphim, Denak, and Raggadorr -- By Dormammu, Watoomb, and Cyttorak!

This poll is almost unfair as RDJ's Tony Stark is arguably the best film adaptation of a comic book character ever. A better poll would be "Which character, besides Tony Stark....."

That said I think Obidiah was perfectly done.

Pepper Potts has been great but I don't associate the film version very much with the comic character, so she's out.

I loved Howard's Rhodey, and though Cheadle is a great actor it just hasn't felt right to me.

And though I'm a huge fan of the movie Mandarin/Trevor Slattery, in no way can you realistically call it an adaptation. Its the mandarin in name only. (Understandably so, though I still think you could do it with the actual rings and not have to make him an outdated Asian stereotype, which they were afraid of).

Clearly I'm very partial to the first movie, I still consider it the best comic adaptation put on film.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Nominus View Post
    Killian is totally from the comic books. He helped Maya develop Extremis in the classic Warren Ellis storyline. Though he didn't found AIM, he was the one who sold Extremis to a terrorist group, and later commited suicide out of regret.

Another vote for Stane here. Jeff Bridges is awesome.

Stark started out quite different from 616 but it kinda feels like he's written more like RDJ since the films came out.

Some of the best moments though are the serious, flawed Stark. Such as the anxiety attacks/PTSD.

Overcoming human challenges is always what has made Marvel characters so interesting. That's why I hope they tackle his alcoholism in future films, they need to keep Tony grounded.

Alot of talk about replacing Downey down the line, but there's an easy solution that comes straight from the comics. Downey could still play Stark, while Rhodey takes the mantle of Iron Man due to either Tony's alcoholism or paralysis. Rhodey was Iron Man for a significant run in the comics and it made Stark a much more interesting character. I have no idea if they'd even consider this, but I think its the best solution to a real problem (Downey eventually getting "too old" for the demands of the role of Iron Man.)

Quote Originally Posted by TonySnark View Post
    Stark started out quite different from 616 but it kinda feels like he's written more like RDJ since the films came out.

Some of the best moments though are the serious, flawed Stark. Such as the anxiety attacks/PTSD.

Overcoming human challenges is always what has made Marvel characters so interesting. That's why I hope they tackle his alcoholism in future films, they need to keep Tony grounded.

Alot of talk about replacing Downey down the line, but there's an easy solution that comes straight from the comics. Downey could still play Stark, while Rhodey takes the mantle of Iron Man due to either Tony's alcoholism or paralysis. Rhodey was Iron Man for a significant run in the comics and it made Stark a much more interesting character. I have no idea if they'd even consider this, but I think its the best solution to a real problem (Downey eventually getting "too old" for the demands of the role of Iron Man.)
    I think the "too old" argument would apply to Cheadle at about the same time as Downey. In fact, Cheadle is a year older than RDJ.

Odds are, likely far away from you.............or Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by TonySnark View Post
    Killian is totally from the comic books. He helped Maya develop Extremis in the classic Warren Ellis storyline. Though he didn't found AIM, he was the one who sold Extremis to a terrorist group, and later commited suicide out of regret.
    Wow, did not remember him at all. Well I'm sure we'll get a "resurrection" in some form at some point.
    Last edited by A_Nominus; 05-09-2013 at 02:54 PM.
    Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and you'll have the time of your life.

Come on. A poll like this, you've got to make for the supporting characters & exclude Stark.

Sits on the shelf! President Kang's Avatar

Downey is genius as Stark, if anything you could say that his character is really an adaptation of the Ultimates version of Tony Stark. But Downey is so good in the role that he's actually changed the comic book character, which is almost unheard of (not as in editorially mandated, as in everybody likes him more that way). But it boil it down to really dumb basics: is Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark a faithful adaptation of the 616 Marvel U. Tony Stark as that character was represented before the release of the first "Iron Man" movie? Eh, probably not. But he was so damn good at it that it now is.

As for me, I voted Mandarin just to be goofy.

People voted The Mandarin?!?!?!?!? Has anyone seen the fucking movie yet?!?!?!!??!