Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Poll: What Do You Think About Disney Animating Marvel's "Big Hero 6"

What Do You Think About Disney Animating Marvel's "Big Hero 6"

What do you think about Disney's decision to adapt the relatively obscure "Big Hero 6" as its first Marvel-based animated film?

Vote on the poll here.

Errr . . . I wish the poll had a few more choices.

While I applaud Disney's decision to adapt the obscure Marvel super-team, I question their reasons for doing so.

I mean, they obviously didn't do it for Big Hero 6's name recognition or any type of built-in fan base. So one is left to speculate they decided to adapt BH6 because they liked the concept of the team and its characters. But if that's the case, then why are they making so many changes to the property? From what we've learned about the movie so far, it bears very little resemblance to the Big Hero 6 introduced in the comics.

It's comparable to taking "Blade" and turning it into "Twilight," or taking "Ghost Rider" and turning it into "Casper." I'm not saying the movie will be bad, just questioning the logic behind basing your movie on a relatively unknown property if you're not really going to utilize the property's basic premise.

Its good they're trying animation, but I feel like this project hasn't got much support really. Its very obscure in terms of promotion/marketing.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Ah, I'm all for giving lesser known characters a go in the spotlight, especially, most hopefully, in an animation, with a mixture, most hopefully, of seriousness and light heartedness.

Would love something like this happening, and great that there's even more Marvel to go around for the year.

Hopefully, ends up being a good move for Disney, a good Marvel film and a good film in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundrave View Post

While I applaud Disney's decision to adapt the obscure Marvel super-team, I question their reasons for doing so.

I mean, they obviously didn't do it for Big Hero 6's name recognition or any type of built-in fan base. So one is left to speculate they decided to adapt BH6 because they liked the concept of the team and its characters. But if that's the case, then why are they making so many changes to the property? From what we've learned about the movie so far, it bears very little resemblance to the Big Hero 6 introduced in the comics.

It's comparable to taking "Blade" and turning it into "Twilight," or taking "Ghost Rider" and turning it into "Casper." I'm not saying the movie will be bad, just questioning the logic behind basing your movie on a relatively unknown property if you're not really going to utilize the property's basic premise.
    I'm pretty sure this will wind up being a poor analogy upon film release.

To answer your question, it gives Disney a lot more room to play with the property the less people are familiar with it.

The premise as we know it doesn't seem to be too out of step with the comics. It's still a story about a boy and his robot on a team of Japanese(-ish) superheroes.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

I'd love for Disney to do a animated Devil Dinosaur film, but I'm afraid that Pixar's The Good Dinosaur puts the kibosh on that for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    To answer your question, it gives Disney a lot more room to play with the property the less people are familiar with it.
    But that's not my question. Rather, I'm wondering what are the benefits of taking an established property as obscure as "Big Hero 6" if you're just going to boil the concept down to "a boy and his robot?" Why not just create a brand new property? It's not like "boy and his robot" is a very novel idea.

But that's not my question. Rather, I'm wondering what are the benefits of taking an established property as obscure as "Big Hero 6" if you're just going to boil the concept down to "a boy and his robot?" Why not just create a brand new property? It's not like "boy and his robot" is a very novel idea.
    I'd say it's because it could bring about a Big Hero 6 comic book revival, maybe some guest appearances in Ultimate Spider-Man, or Hulk and the Agents of SMASH.

Could makesome good, continuous profit out of it, and, look at Green Lantern, or John Carter. Some might say, with Oa, or the Gods, they complicated things too much, when it should've, for an origin, been the relatively simple story of a man and a ring, a man and a people to save.

When Big Hero 6 would be so new to so many, maybe that's a wise idea.

And, besides that, there's ample opportunity, with the film, trailers and such, to reveal it's different to how it seems.

I just hope that it does well enough to warrant other obscure properties being made into animated features. Something like Runaways, which I really love.
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_Sleeper View Post
    I just hope that it does well enough to warrant other obscure properties being made into animated features. Something like Runaways, which I really love.
    Runaways could be bigger, a TV show or even movie.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Nothing of the sort. It still has very much resemblance to Claremont's Big Hero 6, which was just a thinly-veiled anime/manga.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dragon View Post
    Ah, I'm all for giving lesser known characters a go in the spotlight, especially, most hopefully, in an animation, with a mixture, most hopefully, of seriousness and light heartedness.

Would love something like this happening, and great that there's even more Marvel to go around for the year.

Hopefully, ends up being a good move for Disney, a good Marvel film and a good film in general.
    Hopefully it will pave the way for a Doom Patrol animated series.