View Poll Results: What did you think of Ultimates #24?

Voters
24. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Great! An awesome conclusion!

    2 8.33%
  • Good. A solid finish to the run.

    3 12.50%
  • Meh. Could have been better, but I didn't hate it.

    4 16.67%
  • Bad. I didn't really care for this story.

    8 33.33%
  • Awful. Wish I didn't read it.

    7 29.17%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 76
  1. #61
    Junior Member Fizicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ebari View Post
    I almost don't want to pick up this book but the collector in me wants to complete the set.. which I will probably read once, bag it and thru it into my comic box and forget about it
    I haven't been reading any comics lately due to exams (and I haven't been reading Ultimates for quite a few months now) and I don't intend to ever read them, nor buy the trade to complete my collection. I just want to pretend the things in Humphries arc never happened and forget about it.
    Bring back Ultimate Doctor Doom

  2. #62
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Newfoundland
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fizicks View Post
    I haven't been reading any comics lately due to exams (and I haven't been reading Ultimates for quite a few months now) and I don't intend to ever read them, nor buy the trade to complete my collection. I just want to pretend the things in Humphries arc never happened and forget about it.
    Man its kinda like Loeb all over again ain't it

  3. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Codah View Post
    People who use "merica" should be banned from the internet and really, life.
    I hope that's not directed at me sonny jim. If it is I'll warn you, you may only harden my resolve.

  4. #64
    @ALLENRICKETTS Codah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dallas. TX
    Posts
    1,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Victory View Post
    I hope that's not directed at me sonny jim. If it is I'll warn you, you may only harden my resolve.
    It's directed at anyone who thinks it's funny. And by "banned" I mean have their fedora removed with a shotgun.
    Comics are more better.

  5. #65
    On Vacation
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Codah View Post
    It's directed at anyone who thinks it's funny. And by "banned" I mean have their fedora removed with a shotgun.
    you know its just a joke right.

  6. #66
    @ALLENRICKETTS Codah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dallas. TX
    Posts
    1,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    you know its just a joke right.
    I have a particular disdain for self-hating Americans and anyone else who shits on this country. I'm certainly no bible-thumping republican (I'm neither religious or affiliated with a party) but for better or for worse they're a part of my national identity and I don't like snide children who boil their fashionable opinions down internet-memes. It's trollish and annoying. That said, I'm not really all that mad and I can appreciate you taking the time to edit all that dialogue. I just tend to a-bomb people who say "merica" because they're usually exactly who I think they are.

    TLDR; yes.
    Comics are more better.

  7. #67
    Senior Member Trallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Providence
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    i know i'm weighing in late on this.. i just got home from the hospital and internet was patchy.. but i read y comics.

    Even though I haven't liked Humphries on this book, i thought this was his best issue. Still though, for me it just showed he could have given us something much better the whole time. It's a shame, man
    http://trallis.blogspot.com/
    A blog about high adventure and comic book collecting

  8. #68
    Junior Member NapoleonBlownapart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    189

    Default

    If it weren't for the fact that this is Humphries' last issue, I'd have Ultimates taken off my pull list. The whole reconstruction arc has been pretty bad, but this was downright horrible.

  9. #69
    Commander Dark Guard CaptainMarvell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hala
    Posts
    1,415

    Default

    Humphries had us excited for a lot of things, but nothing delivered. We were excited for Divided We Fall, it was boring and predictable. We were excited for the return of Modi. Boring and predictable. We were excited for Iron Patriot. Its just a repaint of Iron Man. We were excited for the WC Ultimates. They're just faint shadows of the 616 versions with little to no story or background. We were excited to see the Infinity Gems. Thank God he didn't do anything with that though, we didn't need him screwing up the Ultimate Infinity story. There was a lot of "Hey that looks interesting!" which then turned into "Ohhh... well that ended up being dumb." Its one thing to have a good idea, but its another actually put together a good story from that idea. I think Humphries had a lot of good ideas to work with, whether they be his or someone else's, and he didn't pull through story wise.
    '

  10. #70
    Ultimate Mod! Plawsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    7,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMarvell View Post
    Humphries had us excited for a lot of things, but nothing delivered. We were excited for Divided We Fall, it was boring and predictable. We were excited for the return of Modi. Boring and predictable. We were excited for Iron Patriot. Its just a repaint of Iron Man. We were excited for the WC Ultimates. They're just faint shadows of the 616 versions with little to no story or background. We were excited to see the Infinity Gems. Thank God he didn't do anything with that though, we didn't need him screwing up the Ultimate Infinity story. There was a lot of "Hey that looks interesting!" which then turned into "Ohhh... well that ended up being dumb." Its one thing to have a good idea, but its another actually put together a good story from that idea. I think Humphries had a lot of good ideas to work with, whether they be his or someone else's, and he didn't pull through story wise.
    '
    I'd say that's a pretty decent summary of his run. There were enough decent ideas to keep me interested despite the writing flaws, but ultimately nothing came together.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

    I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

  11. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Codah View Post
    I have a particular disdain for self-hating Americans and anyone else who shits on this country. I'm certainly no bible-thumping republican (I'm neither religious or affiliated with a party) but for better or for worse they're a part of my national identity and I don't like snide children who boil their fashionable opinions down internet-memes. It's trollish and annoying. That said, I'm not really all that mad and I can appreciate you taking the time to edit all that dialogue. I just tend to a-bomb people who say "merica" because they're usually exactly who I think they are.

    TLDR; yes.
    I'm sorry to have upset you, I can assure you I'm not wearing a fedora or hating on America. What I was trying to express as succinctly as possible was that I felt the dialogue in the issue was bad. And further rang of that self loving flag waving idiocy that films like Team America parody so well. Rather then write a diatribe on why and how it was so bad, I thought "Merica" was snappier and more than that a whole lot shorter.

    Seriously though self parody is a beautiful thing and really shouldn't get you all that riled. It keeps you grounded.

  12. #72

    Default

    Edit: Sorry double post.
    Last edited by Citizen Victory; 05-13-2013 at 06:41 PM.

  13. #73
    @ALLENRICKETTS Codah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dallas. TX
    Posts
    1,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Victory View Post
    I'm sorry to have upset you, I can assure you I'm not wearing a fedora or hating on America. What I was trying to express as succinctly as possible was that I felt the dialogue in the issue was bad. And further rang of that self loving flag waving idiocy that films like Team America parody so well. Rather then write a diatribe on why and how it was so bad, I thought "Merica" was snappier and more than that a whole lot shorter.

    Seriously though self parody is a beautiful thing and really shouldn't get you all that riled. It keeps you grounded.
    I know, bro. It's just a thing. Good news about the fedora too.
    Also, I agree about the dialogue. Although it was closer to acceptable than the previous issues but I guess it doesn't much matter now with Fialkov coming aboard. Fingers crossed.
    Comics are more better.

  14. #74
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23,898

    Default

    As weird as it sounds, if you know how I am you'll know that I LOVE my country despite it's problems, I actually really dug Sam's run including it's mockery of American patriotism. Captain America came incredibly close to being a fascist ruler and ever since Obama got reelected I've been feeling a lack of faith in America's citizens. I'm tired of people trying to ruin what is the greatest country on Earth while they disguise it as "patriotism" and so I kind of enjoyed seeing a farce of it.


    Also it was, in general, the big action movie Ultimates is supposed to be.
    Last edited by wyokid; 05-13-2013 at 10:27 PM.

  15. #75
    Sentinel of Liberty Drz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Home!
    Posts
    9,313

    Default

    You know what makes Captain America giving up his Presidency even worse? Considering Humphries' own personal timeline has Ultimates exist for over 9 years, you know what that means? Mutant prejudice has also been on ongoing for multiple years, yet it was Captain America who finally changed things and helped the Mutants, now with him giving up on his elected power he allows things like Natural Resources to continue happening.

    Our Hero?
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •