Thread: Dan Adkins?

Default Dan Adkins?

I saw a post on FB from the Wally Wood page saying that Dan Adkins has passed away.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wa...331284?fref=ts

If that is indeed the case what a loss. There are more eloquent posters on this board but I'll say that Conan 19 and 20 and Master of Kung Fu 38-39 were beautiful comics.

I also recall a great issue of Sub Mariner he did (55?) and a neat-o Dr. Strange origin story (169).

Thanks for all the great entertainment Dan.

I knew Dan Adkin's work almost exclusively through his Doctor Strange work. His art in the first Dr. Strange series--that continued with the numbering of Strange Tales--was amazing. I was blow away when I first saw it.
    "I was handed a chocolate bar and an M-1 rifle and told to go kill Hitler."--Jack "King" Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I saw a post on FB from the Wally Wood page saying that Dan Adkins has passed away.

If that is indeed the case what a loss. There are more eloquent posters on this board but I'll say that Conan 19 and 20 and Master of Kung Fu 38-39 were beautiful comics.

I also recall a great issue of Sub Mariner he did (55?) and a neat-o Dr. Strange origin story (169).

I see nothing else reported, so i would hold my judgement until further news.

It was Submariner #56 and had one of my favorite opening splash pages ever.

Mark Evanier this morning has also reported Dan Adkin's death which occurred last week. R.I.P Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Ish Kabbible View Post
    Mark Evanier this morning has also reported Dan Adkin's death which occurred last week. R.I.P Dan
    Sorry to hear it's true, one of the great inkers and artists. Whenever he touched the page it was beautiful to look at.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post

Agreed on all counts. I never tire of studying his art; such mastery of the brush.

All our artistic heroes seem to go away, these pastfew years.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Veteran Member

As I was saying in another thread a while back, it's too bad he never got to do more pencil work. He was a great inker, one of those guys who could make almost anyone look good, but I liked his own artwork so much I always wished he'd done more of it. His Doctor Strange is very under-rated, I agree. Like most of the best Strange artists, he was excellent at not only the Ditko-inspired other-dimensional sequences, but also the quiet, everyday scenes that were often a significant aspect of the better Strange runs.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    As I was saying in another thread a while back, it's too bad he never got to do more pencil work. He was a great inker, one of those guys who could make almost anyone look good, but I liked his own artwork so much I always wished he'd done more of it. His Doctor Strange is very under-rated, I agree. Like most of the best Strange artists, he was excellent at not only the Ditko-inspired other-dimensional sequences, but also the quiet, everyday scenes that were often a significant aspect of the better Strange runs.
    He had a very clean Wally Wood style.

I remember getting a hand-me-down Strange Tales when I was a kid and finding his work no less cooler than Steranko's. (And I think Steranko is a genius unparalleled.)

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

*sigh* Sad news, obviously.

When I think of Adkins, I guess the first things of his that comes to mind is some really nicely done strips in early issues of Creepy & Eerie. I didn't encounter his above-mentioned Marvel work till some years later (ditto for his Gold Key & Tower art).
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!