Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Poll: Is Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark Replaceable in Future Iron Man Films?

Is Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark Replaceable in Future Iron Man Films?

In light of the current talk about contracts and Robert Downey Jr. hinting that he may not return for more Iron Man films, CBR asks if you feel the actor is replaceable as Tony Stark.

Vote on the poll here.

Any actor is replaceable. Do I want another actor at the moment, no. But will I give another actor a chance? Yes, if they get to that point. We are far from that point though.

No, he isn't. If Downey doesn't want to play him anymore, they should CGI his likeness onto another actor to keep the movies going.

Yeah that's just as silly as thinking he can't be replaced. All actors are replaceable.
    I have this idea for the next X-teme Games Gold Medal Event--Bear Tickling. Its like Bull riding but more X-treme! You are timed on how long you can tickle a bear before he attacks you.

-Excelsior

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    No, he isn't. If Downey doesn't want to play him anymore, they should CGI his likeness onto another actor to keep the movies going.

Yeah that's just as silly as thinking he can't be replaced. All actors are replaceable.
    If RDJ busies himself with other movies, they shouldn't be averse to using him in a limited capacity, and also filming face-only shots for use during suit sequences. The rest of the footage can feature RDJ audio and Iron Man, who's usually CGI, anyway. Stunt guys are cheap.

Gone

We will always love Sean Connery, of course, but Roger Moore (ugh!), Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and Danny Craig didn't handle the role too badly.

If RDJ is reading this thread, as he should, he'd be trembling.

That said, Superman in the 1970's and 1980's was Christopher Reeve.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseu Gouveia View Post
    We will always love Sean Connery, of course, but Roger Moore (ugh!), Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and Danny Craig didn't handle the role too badly.
    You know what Moore wasn't? Boring, like Dalton and Brosnan were.

Not the Bond arguments again!

Also, I think if they do replace Downey, don't pretend like it's the same character. That annoyed me in Iron Man 2 where Rhodey was suppose to be the same guy in the first one, although he's TOTALLY DON CHEADLE NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post

Also, I think if they do replace Downey, don't pretend like it's the same character. That annoyed me in Iron Man 2 where Rhodey was suppose to be the same guy in the first one, although he's TOTALLY DON CHEADLE NOW.
    The only problem with that is Marvel following a continuity between their films which is something I don't think they'd be willing to give up, as that was one of the things that helped viewers get hyped about the inevitable Avengers film.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Uhm... HELLO??? It WAS the same character. People are accepting of changes like this. It happens. Hell, they recast Marty's girlfriend between Back to the Future 1 and 2. They reshot the end of BTTF 1 for the opening of BTTF 2 and people accepted it. Just because a few fanboys freak out over it doesn't mean that every movie goer agrees or cares.

I'm not seeing much logic in this statement.
    "Honest Abe's a 'mo!" - Hank Venture from the Venture Bros.

honestly I'm of two minds

Downey is essentially marvel's poster boy at this point.

Without the strong showing of iron man in the box office, I doubt the avenger run would have existed, much less successful beyond their wildest dreams.

without Downey, I really doubt the iron movies would have worked, let alone so well.

however, nobody is not replaceable. He's told his 3 part storyarc and we've seen what happens when they push much further (see crystal skull)

I would start the weening now...perhaps even killing him off in avengers 02.

now I will return to waiting for a Hulk movie with Mark Ruffalo as the main character. :D.
    click here for some characters to use in rumbles

“We need to apply the science of communication to the communication of science.” - Preston Manning

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    honestly I'm of two minds

Downey is essentially marvel's poster boy at this point.

Without the strong showing of iron man in the box office, I doubt the avenger run would have existed, much less successful beyond their wildest dreams.

without Downey, I really doubt the iron movies would have worked, let alone so well.

however, nobody is not replaceable. He's told his 3 part storyarc and we've seen what happens when they push much further (see crystal skull)

I would start the weening now...perhaps even killing him off in avengers 02.

now I will return to waiting for a Hulk movie with Mark Ruffalo as the main character. :D.
    Agreed. IMO without RDJ's colorful performance IM3 would have sucked but he made the film tolerable.

Is it possible they can just have War Machine replace Tony Stark till they find someone credible to recast him?
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Elder Member

Everyone is replaceable. A big part of what created the inherent identification between actor and role in past blockbusters like Star Wars or Indiana Jones was the nature of the movie business and the nature of the culture at the time. Those movies were cultural events in the way that modern-day blockbusters rarely are. These days there's a shiny new blockbuster hitting the theaters almost every week during the summer. Some succeed, some fail, but they keep coming in waves. For the most part, there's nothing really special about them. As much money as they made, to the vast majority of the people who saw Iron Man or Avengers, they were just movies, and Downey was just an actor in a movie. That doesn't mean that just anyone can replace him, but he's hardly the only actor of estimable talent and charm in Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Everyone is replaceable. A big part of what created the inherent identification between actor and role in past blockbusters like Star Wars or Indiana Jones was the nature of the movie business and the nature of the culture at the time. Those movies were cultural events in the way that modern-day blockbusters rarely are. These days there's a shiny new blockbuster hitting the theaters almost every week during the summer. Some succeed, some fail, but they keep coming in waves. For the most part, there's nothing really special about them. As much money as they made, to the vast majority of the people who saw Iron Man or Avengers, they were just movies, and Downey was just an actor in a movie. That doesn't mean that just anyone can replace him, but he's hardly the only actor of estimable talent and charm in Hollywood.
    Well said. Film culture has indeed changed. As a result, the "reboot" idea has really taken off. Hollywood has always had remakes, but the reboot signifies a change in the movie industry, a change that goes right by your first sentence here: "Everyone is replaceable."