Default What did you read - May 2013

New month:

World War Hulk - Not close to the same quality as Planet Hulk, but nonetheless a fun big fight scene. Incredibly quick reading though.

Hulk: WWH: Gamma Corps - Decent enough spin-off.

World War Hulk: Frontline - The story here was okay, but it didn't grab me nearly as much as Civil War Frontline. The big star for me though was Ramon Bachs. He also did work in Civil War Frontline, but the work in WWH: Frontline was much better. Very real looking people who look like they're actually wearing real clothes. The War Is Heck pages were shockingly unfunny.

The Manhattan Projects v1 - Jonathan Hickman's book is probably closer to Pax Romana than anything else. I prefer this though - the subject matter interests me more and the book is getting a volume two which Pax Romana suffered greatly from not having. Nice art too - a bit reminiscent of Geoff Darrow.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post

The Manhattan Projects v1 - Jonathan Hickman's book is probably closer to Pax Romana than anything else. I prefer this though - the subject matter interests me more and the book is getting a volume two which Pax Romana suffered greatly from not having. Nice art too - a bit reminiscent of Geoff Darrow.
    The art is holding me back on this one. I could live with it, but a change in artist could easily move my feelings regarding this book from "liked it" into "loved it" territory. I appreciate that you want someone with a more exaggerated and cartoony vibe, than say any of Hickman's Marvel collaborators, but I'm finding myself wondering if I'll get volume 2.

It looks like the price of getting Marvel books by Hickman is going to be that he's never going to have time to draw his own stuff in the foreseeable future.

EM

Chew v3: Just Desserts - Decent stuff, but it left me wanting more. I really can't get on with five issue TPBs. They're just not long enough.

Dr Fate: Countdown to Mystery - Good stuff from the late great Steve Gerber and an artist who last I heard was a suspected poedophile. It's tragic that Gerber died before the end. The approach they took of getting four different guest writers to write different endings really didn't work for me - largely because they each had about four pages to do it in, which really wasn't enough.

The Vinyl Underground v1: Watching the Detectives - Mmmm - It was okay. A bit like a writer doing a "Vertigo style comic" for Vertigo - like we got a lot of in the earlier Vertigo days. If I see the second (and final) TPB going cheap I might pick it up.

The Flash #13 -19 - The only comic I still buy monthly. Manupel and Beccellato's art is sublime. I'm quite liking the new artist they've got in the last couple of issues. He (she?) is not Francis Manupel, but the style is nice and loose - which I think is important for The Flash. The story is keeping me entertained well enough. I can't understand why the "WTF" gatefold cover was supposed to be "WTF" when the villain revealed was actually revealed two issues earlier.

Superman: Last Son of Krypton - part 1: Last Son - I've got the big TPB that collects Last Son and Braniac together - But I'm trying to read the stories in order so I just read the first half of this. So far decent stuff. The art (by one of the Kuberts - I forget which) is up and down for me a bit, but at least it's nice and expressive and the storytelling is good. Good colouring too.

Superman: The Third Kryptonian - With the exception of the excellentCamelot Falls I really haven't gelled with Buseik's run on the Superman titles. Part of the blame probably has to go to the art - which I really didn't like. The couple of stories that followed the main one do some heavy foreshadowing of an event I haven't read, but know is coming.

Superman: Escape from Bizzaro World - Possibly the only Bizzaro story I've liked since the end of the 80s. Somehow, with the exception of Byrne's very different Bizzaro story from Man of Steel I haven't liked the post-CoIE Bizzaro at all. This story pulls him much closer to the Silver Age version that I liked, but updated nicely for the modern era. Great art from Eric Powell too. One thing that really irritates me is them creating a full price TPB containing only three new issues and then padding out the rest of the book with old reprints that I've either already got or have no particular interest in reading. I can't see any excuse for that.