Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NEW Freedom Fighters from P&G

I haven't seen a lot posted here so I thought I would just throw this out there.

Am I the only one that is enjoying the limited series by P&G that are rebooting the former member of Freedom Fighters for the nuDCU??

I liked RAY. I thought PHANTOM LADY AND DOLL MAN was even better than RAY. HUMAN BOMB I have only read the first issue thus far but I am enjoying it.

But all that being said, I am a great fan of P&G's writing. I have followed them through several books and have never failed to be entertained by their writing.

I wish that DC would maybe toss them a higher profile book like TEEN TITANS or BIRDS OF PREY. Both of those titles could use a little polishing up.

I'm enjoying them, but I don't think they are proving popular enough for DC to bother pursuing further. Unless they get a really popular artist or something.
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.

penetrator of things

Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray both have written lots of books for DC, but they're usually given low-profile assignments or miniseries. Things that don't generally sell well; and then they're blamed by the readers for books getting cancelled.

I'm sure Jimmy, Justin, and Amanda Conner would sell, right?
    Last edited by tako; 05-07-2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: fixing derp

I was really enjoying their work on POWER GIRL, pre New52. And their TERRA limited series a few years back!!

I am definately hoping that there are limited series for Black Condor and Uncle Sam down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by tako View Post
    Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray both have written lots of books for DC, but they're usually given low-profile assignments or miniseries. Things that don't generally sell well; and then they're blamed by the readers for books getting cancelled.

I'm sure Jimmy, Justin, and Amanda Palmer would sell, right?
    You mean Amanda Conner, right? Their Power Girl book was selling around 20k by their last issue (#12). They're working on Captain Brooklyn now that Amanda's done with Silk Spectre.

penetrator of things

Quote Originally Posted by CagedLeo730 View Post
    You mean Amanda Conner, right? Their Power Girl book was selling around 20k by their last issue (#12). They're working on Captain Brooklyn now that Amanda's done with Silk Spectre.
    Derp. Yeah, Conner. Jimmy's P last name messed me up I guess.

I really liked the John Trujillo version of Black Condor, but I'm looking forward to see their take on the character.

Yeah I'm also loving the Freedom Fighters solo mini series and I've loved Palmiotti and Gray's previous work with the characters. I believe at C2E2 someone asked if a new Freedom Fighters book was in the works. Harras said they had no plans for a Freedom Fighters book at this time. I'm sure if the solo mini series' were selling better DC would be more willing to relaunch the team book.

.........please God no.

No offense, but at this point after DC has planted them face first in the ground pre and post New 52 with repeated low-selling series, I'm not sure if FREEDOM FIGHTERS would sell if Jim Lee drew the book and featured Marvel characters being maimed and killed in the background of every issue.

I thought their Freedom Fighters minis and the short-lived ongoing series were really good. They tend to bring a lot of depth to their characters and titles. It always annoyed me FF didn't take off with them at the helm. I particularly liked Black Condor and Phantom Lady. Good redesigns on the costumes in that series.
    "Gargantua, stop! We're... friends!"
    - Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd love to see them on TEEN TITANS. I'd love to see anyone on TEEN TITANS, at this point. Anyone?

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Prince View Post
    I thought their Freedom Fighters minis and the short-lived ongoing series were really good. They tend to bring a lot of depth to their characters and titles. It always annoyed me FF didn't take off with them at the helm. I particularly liked Black Condor and Phantom Lady. Good redesigns on the costumes in that series.
    The second mini suffered from xeroxes posing as art, and the ongoing series was just a disgusting gore-fest. Shame, there was so much potential.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

I must admit, as big a fan as I am of the Human Bomb, and the P & G partnership (loved their PG series pre-New-52), I found the HB limited series kind of crappy by the end. The issues got steadily more silly... and not in a good way. More a hokey, lazy ideas kind of way. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    The second mini suffered from xeroxes posing as art, and the ongoing series was just a disgusting gore-fest. Shame, there was so much potential.
    Yeah, I think P&G got stuck with that artist. I complained about how many times drawings were used over and over in each issue -- in one issue, I think I counted, like, 17 uses of the same image!
    I was told DC editorial stuck them with that artist and they were given no choice in the matter.
    I read the first couple of issues of the ongoing, then forgot about it and didn't finish reading the last few issues.

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    I doubt I'd buy another ongoing from them again. The only really moral character in the whole thing, they crippled then killed him.
    Superhero prose fiction: Corrupts Absolutely?, Heroics, more suggestions at Superheronovels.com