Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    The problem is that for many writers they equate action with fighting almost exclusively. It isn't.

Whether you liked it or not, you can't say that the first Christopher Reeve Superman movie wasn't a "Superhero" movie.
    And who did he punch out? No one.
    Was it actionless? No.
    Did it have superheroics? Plenty.

Not one punch was thrown by Superman.
    It does seem to leave out an essential element of Superman. I don't even know of any other Superman stories where no villain gets punched.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Moderate Moderator Javier Velasco's Avatar

Really?
    Pretty much the entire Silver Age features stories that don't involve fisticuffs.

A lot of superheroes aren't particularly pugilistic.

How often does Dr. Strange (Mr. Fantastic, Human Torch, Scarlet Witch, Zatanna, Raven, Firestorm, etc) haul off and smack someone?

But they are still considered superheroes. And their stories are still superhero stories.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    The problem is that for many writers they equate action with fighting almost exclusively. It isn't.
    It's true that fighting isn't the only kind of action. That's a very good and important point

Yes, Azzarello has to make some concessions to the fact that he is writing a superhero book. But it is his choice to do that by showing Diana fighting rather than holding up a bridge while multitudes escape or racing at Artemis at superspeed.
    I wonder if it is his choice. He said that if it were up to him there might not be any fights. So, who is it up to? Maybe the editors ask for more fight scenes. Or maybe he just feels the fans expect them. If the latter, then yes, he is making a choice, but it's based on what he believes fans want, and I'm not sure he's wrong. Superhero conventions and fan expectations today may not be the same as they were in 1978, when the first Superman movie came out.

...showing Diana fighting rather than holding up a bridge while multitudes escape or racing at Artemis at superspeed.
    "Rather than," or "in addition to"? We do see her racing towards Artemis, don't we? And in the same issue, issue 12, she deflects a huge boulder and catches Zola in mid air. In issue 0, her greatest feat is ending the fight with the minotaur without using lethal force, and declining to kill the minotaur afterwards. In issue 13, we see her deflecting bullets, and in 14, deflecting knives and ending the fight with Sirracca. I think Azz knows that fights aren't the only kind of action, but he believes that his editors and/or readers specifically want fights sometimes.

Moderate Moderator Javier Velasco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    I wonder if it is his choice. He said that if it were up to him there might not be any fights. So, who is it up to? Maybe the editors ask for more fight scenes. Or maybe he just feels the fans expect them. If the latter, then yes, he is making a choice, but it's based on what he believes fans want, and I'm not sure he's wrong.
    Perhaps, but beyond giving Diana shorts, Azzarello doesn't seem to really seem to be into fan service or even listening to the demands of editors. :)

Regarding the showing of superpowers, I am not going to say that the run has been devoid of them. But they don't seem to exist for any good outside combat set pieces, during which they are incidental. And please forgive a typo. I didn't mean to write "racing at Artemis at superspeed" I meant to write "racing WITH Artemis at superspeed."

I guess I am just suggesting that if Azzarello really didn't want to write any fight scenes, that there are many other ways to highlight Wonder Woman's powers (and superheroy-ness) that would have served the purpose and been as acceptable to both longtime WW fans and new fans of the run.