Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    No discussion of Geeks is complete with out mentioning genuine nerd Toby Radloff.

That guy makes Pee-Wee Herman look like Marlon Brando...damn.lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    This is an excellent point. Many of us have various geeky tendencies and traits. Are any of us totally defined by those qualities? I'll gladly admit to possessing many of those traits which are geeky, but I also have others that are more mainstream, and even a few which are counter-geek.

Well I guess that's the same for alot of people. For me growing up reading comics and playing videogames didn't make someone a geek. It was a term for people who were socially awkward. Now it seems to apply to anyone with a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffhanger View Post
    For me growing up reading comics and playing videogames didn't make someone a geek.
    So, what does that tell you?

It was a term for people who were socially awkward.
    What is socially awkward 'though?
    Is *geek* a 'term' or more of an insult, like what people would use among eachother when they'd not be feeling particularly aimiable for some reason?

Like schoolkids or people at work having to put up with eachother, there's bound to some being testy or "joshing around" to be going on? Which mainly is a trick because the main answer or solution to such would be to not let insults touch you.

Now it seems to apply to anyone with a hobby.
    Doesn't everyone have some sort of favorite passtime 'though? Is everybody being called a geek for having a favorite passtime?

I think people call themselves geeky for stuff they'd be feeling to overdo, like when they feel they couldn't help themselves or when they can't shut up about something.
    So maybe being 'geeky' or 'geeking out' pertains to overdoing something? Like focusing on something or certain aspects of things too much?
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post

What is socially awkward 'though?
    Is *geek* a 'term' or more of an insult, like what people would use among eachother when they'd not be feeling particularly aimiable for some reason?

Like schoolkids or people at work having to put up with eachother, there's bound to some being testy or "joshing around" to be going on? Which mainly is a trick because the main answer or solution to such would be to not let insults touch you.

Doesn't everyone have some sort of favorite passtime 'though? Is everybody being called a geek for having a favorite passtime?

I think people call themselves geeky for stuff they'd be feeling to overdo, like when they feel they couldn't help themselves or when they can't shut up about something.
    So maybe being 'geeky' or 'geeking out' pertains to overdoing something? Like focusing on something or certain aspects of things too much?
    It used to be an insult and still is in my opinion. But I guess if people take pride in it and take it as a compliment it's the "in" thing at the moment. I don't see the need to say that if someone really likes something or is into something they are a geek. If someone really likes to paint are they a paint geek?

But then I guess to younger people who have no memory of it being a negative description don't care or feel offended by being called one.

It used to be an insult and still is in my opinion. But I guess if people take pride in it and take it as a compliment it's the "in" thing at the moment. I don't see the need to say that if someone really likes something or is into something they are a geek. If someone really likes to paint are they a paint geek?

But then I guess to younger people who have no memory of it being a negative description don't care or feel offended by being called one.
    I personally don't think that. I think people actually consciously take pride in being geeky, in the same way it would be or have become a positive thing to be abnormal in ways instead of all-too-normal.

Although the thing with insults (what being called a geek could be, like mostly if you're still at school) would be to not let it get to you, more rather than trying to ban insults from happening - because they will.
    From what I know won't being called a geek/dweeb/nerd/icky person be slander or libel or defamation. So the only way to not let such be a thing would seem to *not treat it as being an insult*, if you see what I mean.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 05-07-2013 at 04:11 PM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.