View Poll Results: Which reinterpretation did you prefer?

Voters
28. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Robin (from TDKR)

13 46.43%
  • The Mandarin (from IM3)

15 53.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRobin182 View Post
    Robin was a nice surprise. Mandarin was a bait and switch. Not to say that it wasn't done well, but still, there was never a promise of Robin that wasn't delivered upon.
    Agree with this, mostly. We were not promised Robin, but there was a hint in one of the trailers- a shot not seen in the actual movie- where at the football game people were holding up posterboards spelling out "ROGUES" and the "R" was totally the symbol seen on Robin's costume. Most thought that was just a little shoutout to comic fans, though. In retrospect, "Blake" rhymes with "Drake" and I think that was a deliberate nod too, but not one likely to have been seen as one by people before seeing the movie.

With the Mandarin, yes, bait and switch is exactly what he was. And if that was the approach they wanted to take, I just wish they hadn't used Sir Ben Kingsley to do it. Actors don't come any bigger or classier. I think he was wasted in "Iron Man 3." By the way, I think there were some comments about how he didn't have rings? He did- there was a quick view of them both in the trailers and in the film, but they were just bling.

Whoa, I just realized something while perusing threads that should have occurred to me before. Just as Dark Knight Rises threw a little nod to Robin into one of their trailers by showing his "R" symbol at the football game, there was already a similar nod to the Mandarin all the way back in the first Iron Man film. The group that held Tony captive in Afghanistan was called THE TEN RINGS!

I enjoyed both "Rises" and "IM3."

Blake was a great interpretation of the sidekick/successor role of the comic book Robin character, and well-played by Gordon-Levitt.

The Mandarin was a genius plot twist that I never saw coming. Ben Kingsley (as the fake Mandarin) was hilarious, and Guy Pearce (as the real Mandarin) was awesome.

I think they both worked well but ultimately I had to vote for The Mandarin, simply because the Robin "reveal" is a not-so-subtle acknowledgement of the connection/inspiration of the Blake character, while the identity reveal of Trevor in "Iron Man 3" pulled the rug out from under me in a way I haven't experienced in quite some time.
    Picture Maker // website // tumblr

Kingsley as the Mandarin was just perfect. It was such a great move, and everyone in the theater I was at loved it.

I loved the movie take on the Mandarin because there was a very clever meta aspect. The original Mandarin was a product of the times and the fear and paranoia of foreign evils, and thus the movie Mandarin is literally a fictional character created to be the ultimate evil foreigner scapegoat, complete with an Osama Bin Laden redesign for a post-9/11 world. Whoever came up with that is quite clever.

I liked the Mandarin thing because I never saw it coming. When he came walking out of the bathroom and had the british accent...i was like...wait, what? Nice when a movie can genuinely surprise its audience.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Free-Man View Post
    I loved the movie take on the Mandarin because there was a very clever meta aspect. The original Mandarin was a product of the times and the fear and paranoia of foreign evils, and thus the movie Mandarin is literally a fictional character created to be the ultimate evil foreigner scapegoat, complete with an Osama Bin Laden redesign for a post-9/11 world. Whoever came up with that is quite clever.
    This. A thousand times this. I noticed this immediately.
    I have this idea for the next X-teme Games Gold Medal Event--Bear Tickling. Its like Bull riding but more X-treme! You are timed on how long you can tickle a bear before he attacks you.

-Excelsior

Quote Originally Posted by Free-Man View Post
    Yes, this is dead on. It was very clever, and seeing as only comics fans even know or care about the Mandarin, it was a smart move, at that.

Actually a decent question. I liked where Mandarin was going before he turned from Osama to Jack Sparrow. I didn't lose sleep over the twist, but after thinking about it, I think they may have went overboard by making him into junkie actor. Could have just made him an actual terrorist patsy with links to the "real" Mandarin. One of Mandarins many decoys. Most terrorists and dictators are know to have decoys, so it wouldn't be much of a stretch to explain that.
    The Robin TDKR was well crafted. Able to create a relevant and believable sidekick, that paid homage to the books without conforming to the unrealistic comic sensibilities.

Double post. :/