Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default C2E2: "2000 AD" Heads to Dredd and Beyond

Excitement and enthusiasm filled the room during the 2000 AD panel at C2E2 as creators and fans discussed and debated the iconic status of Judge Dredd, the anniversary of Slaine and upcoming projects.

Full article here.

I have to say I think it'd be really interesting to see what happens if/when Dredd is finally killed off. I know 2000AD have been teasing the return of the Dark Judges for a while now, and with Anderson coming back they could be linked, but it's a case of how will Dredd die?

But at the same time, I kinda am sceptical about them being so blasť about it. Dredd is, really, the glue holding 2000AD together. He's been a key part of the Prog (and later the Megs, etc) since the second issue - so much so that he's one of the only - if not THE only - characters to be a consistent, popular draw to the comic. How many others come for D'Israeli's art on, say, Stickleback? Or any other of the various stories that 2000AD print? I think it's a case - for me - of whether it would be market suicide. The British comics market is fragile as it is. If 2000AD lose Dredd - i.e. their showpiece - I think it could seriously harm them, and add what would probably be the crushing blow to our flagging comics industry.

I get those concerns, but surely a "Death of Dredd" story would be popular (sales wise). It would just depend on how they follow it up. Im guessing the strip would continue without the character. But yeah, after that initial boost id imagine sales would then drop.
    I guess they could bring Dredd (or a version of) back in some way though. Clones/de-aging/time travel(?) or something. Idk. Robo-Dredd!
    Its a tricky situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I get those concerns, but surely a "Death of Dredd" story would be popular (sales wise). It would just depend on how they follow it up. Im guessing the strip would continue without the character. But yeah, after that initial boost id imagine sales would then drop.
    I guess they could bring Dredd (or a version of) back in some way though. Clones/de-aging/time travel(?) or something. Idk. Robo-Dredd!
    Its a tricky situation.
    I'm sure it would be popular. They won't just "do" it, I think, as that would backfire. And 2000AD likely will continue after Dredd goes (if he does ever go), but... I just think Dredd's such an important part of 2000AD now. Sure, you have popular series like Slaine (which is ending), Zombo, Stickleback, Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog, etc., but absolutely none of that comes close to the appeal of Dredd.

I think that for the death of our Judge Dredd, Wagner is putting little plots for the actual writers.

We have seen the return of Rico. He is an active Judge which must be looked at. He is a clone. Will he become like the "old" Rico or not?
    Joe Dredd has also is DNA saved and clones can be made too.

So, I think that if the "Old Stoney Face" is about to die, there will be his "young" clone to take his place. And a new "Dredd Era" will be written.

Now, about the true death of Dredd, if I remember well, there is a graphic novel with an heavily gunned old grumpy involved into a stories in the "Cursed Earth". Yep, it's "Missionary Man" from Gordon Rennie as the writer, Quitely/Davis/Longcroft/Marshall for the art. I do not have this GN (this error will be repaired very soon!!).

For the US readers: 2000 AD, this UK made weekly comics magazine, is the top quality for all. Best writers, best artists, best stories ever. No supes stories. They are useless, stupid, and only for kids too.
    Try an issue or two. This weekly is very well worth its price.

I prefer to not buy anymore US comic books than to interrupt my lifetime subscription to 2000 AD (and to the Judge Dredd Megazine too).
    2000 AD of course!!!
    All Hail The Mighty Tharg

Hell yeah 2000AD, great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmanson View Post
    No supes stories. They are useless, stupid, and only for kids too.
    Try an issue or two. This weekly is very well worth its price.

I prefer to not buy anymore US comic books than to interrupt my lifetime subscription to 2000 AD (and to the Judge Dredd Megazine too).
    Naturally there are superhero stories aimed at adults as well, and there are some very well done ones. I love 2000AD, Dredd is my fav comic more or less tied with Savage Dragon, but well if I had to pick an entire country of comics over one anthology I like, or two if including the Megazine, ha well it wouldn't be such an easy choice. We don't need to put down other stuff to sing the praises of 2000AD.

Anyways, Wagner is the man, and I do like the idea of the Dredd story as he sees it having a definitive ending for the character. Plus with the whole realtime aging thing, that makes sense. And well, it'd have a lot of integrity.
    DROKK IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post
    Naturally there are superhero stories aimed at adults as well, and there are some very well done ones. I love 2000AD, Dredd is my fav comic more or less tied with Savage Dragon, but well if I had to pick an entire country of comics over one anthology I like, or two if including the Megazine, ha well it wouldn't be such an easy choice. We don't need to put down other stuff to sing the praises of 2000AD.
    A lot of the (genuinely serious) "Superheroes for Adults" stories seem to be by, well, Brits. Only major exception I can think of right now is Rising Stars.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post
    Anyways, Wagner is the man, and I do like the idea of the Dredd story as he sees it having a definitive ending for the character. Plus with the whole realtime aging thing, that makes sense. And well, it'd have a lot of integrity.
    Integrity, yes. I do think that would need to be involved to some degree, especially in terms of 2000AD sticking with it. But if they bring him back (sort-of) as a clone? That'd be such a cheap shot, IMHO. As in it would be absolutely pathetic. 2000AD and its stable of creators are MUCH more intelligent than that, and they treat their fans that way too.

Looking forward to slaine The Book of Scars, good job mr. Mills