Default Return of Bruce Wayne?

Can anyone explain to me what actually happened between Bruce being zapped in Final Crisis and returning in Batman and Robin Vol 3 and defeating Hurt?

Rereading all of Morrisons BAT run before the end in July but I'm not sure I've ever fully understood what actually happened with the Return of Bruce Wayne.

"The Return Of Bruce Wayne" mini series showed us why Bruce was in Anthro's cave. You might want to pick that up.

If you couldn't follow exactly what happened, there's a plot summary here that fully spoils it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_of_bruce_wayne

The exact what happened and why is explained in the Plot section starting at the first mention of Vanishing Point.

I've read the The Return of BW, but I'm not exactly sure what happened with the hyper adapter. Did it attach to Dr. Hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
    I've read the The Return of BW, but I'm not exactly sure what happened with the hyper adapter. Did it attach to Dr. Hurt?
    It infected him when he took a big bite out of it and drank its blood.

Then, in the way far past, caveman Vandal Savage killed it.

There's a sequence, towards the end of the final issue, of the hyper-adapter flailing backwards through time to its ultimate demise.