Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: The Movement, #1

Gail Simone and Freddie E. Williams III try their very best to sell readers on the new characters and concepts introduced in "The Movement" #1.

Full review here.

From the review itself...
    None of the characters provide a truly compelling reason for readers to care about their success or failure. The story itself seems driven to use one wrong to right another wrong, which just adds up to more wrongs.

As first issues go this just feels like a loosely connected collection of notions, which together compile an incomplete and not particularly compelling story. None of the characters really wow me. The art ranges from decent to confusingly disappointing, and the overall story is simply lackluster. I'm still not quite sure how to process "The Movement" #1, nor do I have a strong grasp of what DC is trying to say with this book, but I know it doesn't move me enough to warrant more than an occasional check in.
    WOW! Harsh! So much for every CBR review being a whitewash of simplistic praise for the Big Two. This is pretty strong and blunt criticism of a DC book. Kinda shocked that CBR published this.

I love Gail, but I'm hearing very, very mixed reaction to this book. Will check it out in my LCS, but I gotta say the early word on this is disappointing to me.

Wow. I couldn't disagree with the review more. A lot of what it sees as flaws, I see as actual strengths to the comic. Two cops tried to get sexual favors from an underage girl, isn't that reason to cheer for the Movement stopping them? A psycho with powers seems loose in a church. The Movement is there. Do we have to know a lot about them to know we hope they can help? Gail's made no secret in her interviews that not every one in the Movement is a hero, not everyone is right. So why is the reviewer seemingly surprised that there's moral ambiguity here? It strikes me as like reading Suicide Squad and wondering why Deadshot isn't getting a cat of the tree (Sans Gunfire). I get the comic is not going to be for everyone, but this review seems to have ignored the synopsis, ignored the interviews, even ignored the cover and then been shocked when it wasn't standard superheroics as a main theme.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
    I love Gail, but I'm hearing very, very mixed reaction to this book. Will check it out in my LCS, but I gotta say the early word on this is disappointing to me.
    Mixed reaction? Most people here seem to like it.

Also, when the first line of a review is something like "Because no one demanded it" it loses all credibility for me (Even more than usual).

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

Man, this reviewer went in with a serious confirmation bias.

In other words, why have someone who hated the concept in the first place review the book, CBR? That's not a good look.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Mixed reaction? Most people here seem to like it.

Also, when the first line of a review is something like "Because no one demanded it" it loses all credibility for me (Even more than usual).
    And the funny thing is, some people HAVE been demanding it. Complaints of why DC doesn't experiment more have been heard around the board. Some posters have wanted teams besides the titans or Outlaws that have seemingly younger members. Others commented they thought Gail was better on team books and would like to see her on one again.

So ...a few, or some? Sure. "No one"? nope.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

going to agree and disagree...

agree that the reviewer started with a bias with the opening line "Because absolutely no one demanded it, DC has added "The Movement" #1 to their roster of fifty-two (or whatever the magic number is this month) titles"....unfortunate and ill-conceived assignment on the part of the CBR editors. a reviewer whose favorite characters are Firestorm, Hawkman, Benjamin J. Grimm, Cliff Steele perhaps doesnt see the appeal of non-white male protagonists

however, i agree that freddie's artwork was awkward in a lot of places...but i imagine once the writer/artist relationship melds this will improve...

i liked the book overall, and i admire gail, freddie and most importantly, dc's attempt to provide diversity in storyworlds, characters and ideas...

a welcome addition to dc

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    Man, this reviewer went in with a serious confirmation bias.

In other words, why have someone who hated the concept in the first place review the book, CBR? That's not a good look.
    Or maybe it's just not a good book.

Whether they're supposed to be heroes or not, the main characters are a group of self-righteous unlikeable punks.

Default On point

I'm a Gail fan - follow her on Twitter and Tumblr, read Batgirl, and have tons of stuff from her in my collection - and while the bias in this review is both blatant and unnecessary, I thot the conclusion was spot on.

The story simply didn't gel and there really was no incentive to care about these characters, with 1-2 exceptions. I did like seeing the politics of the police and how the implied opinion of the Captain changed dramatically once we go from his known environment to being confronted in the field on his own by a meta-teen who despises everything about him and what he represents. But the so-called heroes - nope. I don't care about their motivations because I don't care about them and by that I mean that Gail did not present to me a reason to care. A plot point doesn't cut it - being angry about what some dirty cops did, however justified that feeling may be to the audience - and the triteness of the Big Bad deflated whatever gaul this situation supposedly dredged up in the good guys.

The art didn't help. It was messy, a combination of heavy inks and panel clutter than just didn't lend itself to the story. This would have looked much better and supported the story more with sparse portrayals that give us mystery and implication - McGuinness is great at this - then having a big reveal once or twice on page instead of on-spot views throughout with poor perspectives that have no meaning to us (yet). A first issue is different than a regular one and in that respect, this one falls flat.
    Last edited by ultraaman; 05-02-2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: revise sentence

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MDV View Post
    Or maybe it's just not a good book.
    When you start off like "Because absolutely no one demanded it..." You lose the benefit of any shred of "objectivity" you may have had beforehand.

I think the book was sloppy in it's execution, but this reviewer totally undermined his review.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

As someone who knew nothing about this book, and who only bought it because it had Gail Simone's name on it, I have to say, this issue was pretty bad. It's confusing (I had next to no clue what the hell was going on for most of it), the dialogue is awful and the art is too messy. Hopefully it gets better, because I expect more from Gail Simone.

Yeah, I honestly had no fucks to give about these 'heroes'. They aren't even established very well, they're just there at the end. Plus, the dialogue feels incredibly unnatural. I love Gail Simone, but this is not her best work...

People think the concept of this book is groundbreaking? lol

The reviewer clearly had a bias against it, but I do agree with this:

None of the characters provide a truly compelling reason for readers to care about their success or failure. The story itself seems driven to use one wrong to right another wrong, which just adds up to more wrongs.

I skimmed this, but liked what I read/saw. It was like a better Teen Titans...

It's not something I would spend money on, but I'd pick it over Teen Titans or Gail's Batgirl.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Well, that was a pretty awful review, but there are certain sentiments I agree with.

First, as has been mentioned, "Because no one demanded it..." is exactly the wrong attitude to take as a reviewer, and as a reader. People didn't demand Watchmen or From Hell or Doom Patrol either, but those were great. No one demanded Superman, either, until it was there.

Doing something new, and different is important. And whatever else you felt about this issue, it was new and it was different in the context of superhero comics.

This was not some groundbreaking piece of work, either in form or in mentality. It has it's roots so firmly planted in V for Vendetta - superficially, at least - that it's almost cringing, for me. Especially when it does so many things worse than 'V' did, when it doesn't have the style, or the historical roots, or the innovation of form and function of form.

But to do this in the DCU IS a groundbreaking thing, in the same way that "Suicide Squad" was a groundbreaking book for the time in which it appeared. I want more books to cover these kinds of issues, to attempt to do something different in the context of the DCU.

What's more, I love that she's creating a whole bunch of characters. I'm not sure I'm really down with Prez Rickard becoming "Burden", or having this troubled past; I still maintain that that is who that character is, and it's just an unnecessarily dark and tortured take on him. But the new characters, while still too new to comment on...I like the idea. I like the motivation.

So, conceptually, there is a lot to like here. Conceptually I'm completely on board.

Executionally...executionally is something else. I'll have to read it again, but I wasn't feeling much of it. It's not that the protagonists were too harsh or radical; I quite like that. Rather, I just didn't think the plot was very interesting, and I don't think the art supported the tone.

I'm still on board, because there is promise here, but the dialogue was often cringing, the concepts somehow smaller and less important than they should be, the pacing felt off, and the artwork did not do the work it needed to do.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/