Default CBR's Advance Search almost worthless.

Anyone else find the Advance Search feature on CBR is pretty useless. I almost never find the thread I am looking for. It doesn't seem to order the results in any determinable way.
    For instance, if I want to find the thread for the latest issue of a book, I search for the title and number in the appropriate forum and get a list of threads 8 or 10 threads other than about that issue.
    I have found I can get better results by searching Google for comic book resources forum + the subject.

I was just responding the the thread here where the OP asked about reading comics on tablets. I remembered we had a long thread about that, but when I did a search for "tablets" I got three results, none of which were the one I was looking for.
    But when I Googled "comic book resources tablets forum" the thread came right up, third on the list.

Just venting here, but it is a terrible part of this site.

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Just do a google search and add this in the search field along with what you would add in the CBR search:
    Works like a charm.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    Just do a google search and add this in the search field along with what you would add in the CBR search:

Works like a charm.
    Thanks, but you would think they would have a better internal search engine than Google.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Thanks, but you would think they would have a better internal search engine than Google.
    I disagree. Google is specifically a search engine, so I would expect it to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Home made ectoplasm View Post
    I disagree. Google is specifically a search engine, so I would expect it to be better.
    I would think a search within a website should be able to find a recent thread about a specific issue. It's not just that Google is better, it's that CBR is ineffective.

I use google and add "comicbookresources" & "forum" to the search. Works like a charm.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

I would think a search within a website should be able to find a recent thread about a specific issue. It's not just that Google is better, it's that CBR is ineffective.
    Hi Ed,

This is the search that comes with vBulletin and, unfortunately, we have little control over it. Google is a better bet in this regard, if you're having trouble finding what you're looking for. vBulletin's focus is on message boards, not search.

Thanks for using the forums, Ed.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    Executive Producer, CBR
    - CBR - Twitter -

Vbulletin is the ineffective one. Its like that at my site with vbulletin too. Completely worthless.