Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMic View Post
    So you're going to sit here and tell me there were worse books than Mr. Terrific?

No sir, you are objectively wrong.

Good day.
    The Savage Hawkman.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kent View Post
    Static Shock.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    The Savage Hawkman.
    Oh no doubt they were pretty damn bad, but Mister Terrific? Godawful

The curious one.

I read it and while I wasn't impressed I wasn't really depressed either. Actually the general plotline reminded me of a Billy Jack movie I saw once. Bad cops, one ineffective good cop, angry kids with powers... It wasn't as preachy as I thought it would be but it wasn't exciting either. It's worth a look for issue two but I think some of how it will turn out will be dependent on what type of world Simone has put these characters in. If no one has had superpowers before then it will be different from being in the dcu proper.

I liked it! I was talking to my friend earlier about how I like DC's world better than marvel because they have these uniquely defined cities that they've created that makes it a more interesting place. We didn't just get introduced to some new heroes and a new concept, but a new playground. I lot of you have spoken about their portrayal of police, and while it is harsh it leaves a lot of room for discussion and drama within the book. I think eventually they might have to look at what it means to be successful. Crime is never going to stop, should they keep doing their own thing? Should they try to build a better police force? Should the public be supporting the police force the way they do the movement? If the movement decided to to support the force and make it better, will they lose supporters? Would someone or something more extreme come along and try to take their place? There's a lot of interesting questions there with that subject alone, and that's a great thing as far as I'm concerned. I like the characters so far, I love that Burden didn't turn out to be some one-off first issue antagonist, and I am eager to see where it all goes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMic View Post
    Oh no doubt they were pretty damn bad, but Mister Terrific? Godawful
    Mr Terrific was stupid (ironic, considering it was supposed to be a smart book). Static was nearly unreadable (and now we know why).

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    I liked it! I was talking to my friend earlier about how I like DC's world better than marvel because they have these uniquely defined cities that they've created that makes it a more interesting place. We didn't just get introduced to some new heroes and a new concept, but a new playground. I lot of you have spoken about their portrayal of police, and while it is harsh it leaves a lot of room for discussion and drama within the book. I think eventually they might have to look at what it means to be successful. Crime is never going to stop, should they keep doing their own thing? Should they try to build a better police force? Should the public be supporting the police force the way they do the movement? If the movement decided to to support the force and make it better, will they lose supporters? Would someone or something more extreme come along and try to take their place? There's a lot of interesting questions there with that subject alone, and that's a great thing as far as I'm concerned. I like the characters so far, I love that Burden didn't turn out to be some one-off first issue antagonist, and I am eager to see where it all goes.
    Good point about both the setting and the necessity of law enforcement. Coral City seems to have a big problem with corrupt cops. That doesn't mean Metropolis or even Gotham does. So it's not like DC comics is saying "The DC is like this all over". It can be seen as just a local problem that's gotten really really ugly and the Movement is taking desperate measures to stop it. I wonder if we'll be seeing more signs of those who tried to work in the system to fix it or are still trying to do so?

And yeah, if the Tweens area of town becomes the Movement's entirely, then again, it is their responsibility. Whether they can carry that responsibility out or not should be interesting to observe.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

I'll check out the next two issues, at least. The art does not grab me; in fact, it's not all that great. I do like the fact that we have new people, new situations, and a new city. The kids seem pretty interesting, and I'll be waiting to see what kind of backstory we might get on each of them.
    Superhero prose fiction: Corrupts Absolutely?, Heroics, more suggestions at Superheronovels.com

I thought it was pretty interesting first issue. Don't know if I'm in for the long haul, but I'll certainly check out the first arc.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Wonder if they're any longtime fans who wanted this set in Hub City, an existing cesspool of corruption in the DC Universe...

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Wonder if they're any longtime fans who wanted this set in Hub City, an existing cesspool of corruption in the DC Universe...
    in light of Questions obscene power-boost; i don't think they'd last long if they annoyed him. besides, do we really want to see what happens when virtue tries reading question?

speaking of which; judging by the color-coding; virtue seems to be able to tap the Emotional spectrum: orange (greed/envy/desire/want), fear (of discovery/of suspicions being confirmed), violet (three guesses). in which case i approve of the reminder that it is all one big universe.

and i'm guessing the captain is possibly going to enter the Jim Gordon school of dealing with vigilantes?

Yeah, DC has plans for the Question, and its probably best the Movement be given room to breathe on its own when it needs.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

I liked this book, I didn't love it. Call me a comics simpleton, but I like my 1st issues to give me ore than a few pages of a couple of the major characters. Stories can and do build, but with 8-9 issues being a realistic cancelation point now, I feel I need to be drawn in faster to care about these people. As it is, I really only care about the chief.