View Poll Results: Reboot or Old Universe

Voters
484. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Reboot

75 15.50%
  • Old Universe

221 45.66%
  • Both

23 4.75%
  • Either

6 1.24%
  • There are some aspects of old universe that should be add to New 52

73 15.08%
  • Doesn't matter as long as the stories good

86 17.77%
Page 305 of 427 FirstFirst ... 205255295301302303304305306307308309315355405 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,575 of 6400

If it mean system restoring the DCU back to pre-Didio settings, I'm all for it!

Honestly, I can see it ending before then.

All depends on sales. Sales seem to be slipping a bit as the newness wears off, but most of the flagship titles are still healthy enough to carry the line. If those flagships start sinking and more fringe books sink below cancellation threshold while the books they launch to replace those do not reach above cancellation threshold, DC will need to do something to revitalize sales again. Events like Trinity War are meant to revitalize interest and hopefully slow the downward trend of sales (the natural rate of attrition cannot be stopped but temporary boosts can slow it) and things like the rumored Villains month are likely to create sales spikes to boost bottom line and extend the life of the current publishing direction. What they will do is debatable-another reboot seems unlikely, but major tweaks to the new52 (along the lines of Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis and such post COIE) are likely to try to renew flagging sales and give it that new feel again.

As consumers, we are now trained to expect regular upgrades and updates of the products we consume (Iphone #x, Assassin's Creed #? Expendable 27, etc. etc.) so I expect the board at Time Warner will expect editorial to maintain a steady flow of upgrades and updates to the publishing line to keep renewing readership and prop up sales if they flag too much. Expecting new52 to have the longevity of COIE is like expecting any home movie format to dominate the market as long as VHS did-it's a different world and products don't have that kind of shelf life anymore.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 04-30-2013 at 12:25 AM.
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Depends on sales. The sales were good at the beginning of the reboot. If sales fall below a certain threshold they might again try the reboot model because in the current economy the company might be looking only at the short term sales rather than long term sales.

Let me look into my crystal ball.
    BB

I don't see it ending so soon but it will eventually end just like Pre-52 end. Just not for a very long time.

once and future

The New 52 will end when the world ends.

In 2016.

Hooked on a Feeling

Quote Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
    I give it 20 to 25 years. By then, there truly will be another generation coming onboard while many of us older fans will have dwindled away.

It is quite funny to imagine it, but someday there will be older fans (who are much younger fans now) screaming and howling that the DC Universe has destroyed its past (again). Every generation thinks "their" version of the DCU is the only one that matters. It is amusing when you think about it.
    Yeah.

DC WAS gonna change a lot of stuff after COIE and Final Crisis but decided against it, so New 52 is basically how Post crisis was intended as.

That said, I want a sliding timescale like Marvel. No reboots, just refresh origins and stuff.

Hooked on a Feeling

Quote Originally Posted by Comeuppance View Post
    Honestly, I can see it ending before then.
    I can see a restoration of costumes by 2014. No crappy Jim Lee designs, we underwear again.

Quote Originally Posted by fawfulmk-II View Post
    Just a weird thought that went through my head: are the days of the DCnU numbered? the entiety of it feels like a parallel universe(similar to stuff like Age of Apocalypse or whatever) due to just how HUGE a change it brought to everything(only other major change on par that comes to mind is them making Wonder Woman a spy in the 70s.) and I can't help but feel that also due to th overall mixed reception of the New 52, much like SpyWoman it might be retconned altogether to be similar to pre-Flashpoint DCU. and if it does happen, it will most likely be on 2015.

Why you ask? because 30 years prior was the infamous Crisis on Infinite Earths, which also brought great change to the DCU. ever since then, every 10 years comes an event that brings huge changes to everything. CoIE marked the end of the infinite Multiverse. Zero Hour Changed pre-ordained future events and reset many characters histories due to Hal ending the universe to try and rebuild it without Death. Infinite Crisis brought back Earth-2, marked the end of the Original Superman, and created a new multiverse in it's sequel 52(also it's worth noting that they originally had a completely different idea of what the "52 was going to be originally instead of a multiverse..... what if DCnU was that?)

so I guess the question is, will New 52 have it's final bow on the inevitable Crisis of 2015?
    2015? Try 2035. The Crisis occurred at DC's 50th anniversary, and a line-wide reboot didn't happen again until 25 years later with Flashpoint. I'd imagine in the next 10 years the "New 52" would have had so many familiar elements added to fill it out, that undoing it would be untenable, especially since DC is syncing up the New 52 with other media, including the Man of Steel movie, the Arrow tv show, animated projects, and video games (Injustice notes that WW is the daughter of Zeus).
    It's high time people just deal with it. It's here to stay. The only thing that's certain is that it will change and morph over time into something more realized. But we're not going back to the Pre-Flashpoint universe any more than we returned to the Pre-Crisis universe.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by SpycrabKiller View Post
    I can see a restoration of costumes by 2014. No crappy Jim Lee designs, we underwear again.
    Costume restoration has already begun. The rest will follow slowly, but surely.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

DC will probably drop the "New" designation by 2015. Maybe it'll just be the DC52 by that time.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

There's no way The New 52 will last as long as the post-Crisis DCU simply because now they know that they can just completely wipe everything and it'll be a hit. 2015 is too early, though. They'll do a big event but not wipe everything.

I give it 'till 2020. But this time the wipes will be even more wide-ranging, including the Batman and GL mythoi. Forget a five-year timeline; there will be a six-month timeline. No hero will be over the age of 22. People will be up in arms because it will retcon: Superman's and Wonder Woman's relationship (although they will be broken up by then) and love child; Lois Lane's death; Nightwing's death; Barry Allen's death (he'll die in 2016 for his 60th anniversary and Jesse Chambers will take over as the Flash, re-cementing Barry's position as the Flash-usurper when he returns in 2020); the existence of Jason Todd and Tim Drake (Dick was Robin for three months and retired to become Nightwing; current Robin is Damian, who is somehow 15 even though it completely flies in the face of continuity); the Patty/Barry marriage; the Huntress/Green Arrow relationship; and Channel 52.
    Last edited by JimmyOlsenMustDie; 04-30-2013 at 03:24 AM.

Look, I miss the old universe something terrible. But there is no way they wait that long to retcon back. And even if they tried im sure they would duck it up anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Haha, well, believe me when I tell you nerdrage is alive and well, in this thread, the WW forum hatefest and in the Spider-Man forum. In the latter, Superior Spider-Man writer Dan Slott showed up and neatly summed up my own feelings with this post: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...1#post16970059

That SSM thread is pretty epic, currently 48 pages and growing. So all these complaints and death threats (not kidding) despite huge sales and critical acclaim. It's a good lesson: internet complainers tend to be in the vast minority and don't represent the comic-buying public at large. See also Wonder Woman.
    Wonder Woman? The only thing I hated about that book was the "Amazons murdering guys and selling the boy children" stuff. Eh, and the tendency of my favorite characters there to become villains. I recall my short foray there...said something don't recall...probably about not caring for the artwork....response was not pleasant so I never went back.

Superior Spiderman is an interesting concept. However, I'd be unhappy too about a villain taking over the title spot for any great length of time...especially after the way it happened. (Didn't DC do something like that with the last years of Teen Titans? I gave up even attempting to follow that book when everyone kept getting maimed or killed and Wally left. Was no point in my sticking around. Then there was Batman's 'death', but predictably he returned before Dick had much of a chance to warm the cowl *and* Bruce Wayne lovers got to see Bruce anyway having adventures in the past. I take it Peter Parker is just a ghost of some sort in Dr. Ock's mind?)

Anyway, most of my nerdrage was worn down to nigh-Apathy simply because there has been nothing for me to rage against (besides a short bout when they killed Wally again and also for keeps in Young Justice DCAU.) It's easy to become borderline apathetic when your loves die, go MIA, or otherwise undergo radical cosmetic changes and the cause of all that are adamant that they could care less of the turmoil they've created in former fans.

So...*shrug* "Didio who?" and all that.

My big concern now is the major broadband monthly cost hike Cox wants us to pay starting next year. Yeah...with the rising cost of necessities? No. So we either find a cheaper isp or go without. Oddly enough, most companies seem to want you to pay for extreme speeds or go elsewhere....like banks only wanting to give mortgages to people who can already afford to put nearly all the money down anyway even when you have a really good credit rating.

Real Life Drama kind of takes the sting out of the loss of DCU continuity and whether Superman wears long johns or briefs.
    Daredevil-Waid, and Hawkeye. (Or was before received cost of cheapest Unaffordable Health Care. At least someone (government insurance companies and congress?) get to enjoy product of my working.