Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28
  1. #16

    Default

    I gave DC one year with many of their new books. Thre are NO "great" titles. It's all been done before. I read all these sories back in 86 with the original crisis. Since then it's been nothing but reboot after reboot. That tells me 2 things:

    1. Dc has no faith in its characters. As further evidence, look at tei inability to get their properties on the silver screen

    2. It is the sign of a poor writer if thy constantly have to reboot. Alan Moore and Swamp Thing is anexample of incorporating a characters past
    Pull list: Almost every Marvel book, Age of Bronze, Captain Midnight, some Dynamite & Image. I AM DC COMIC FREE!

  2. #17
    Senior Member Zen-aku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maidman View Post
    I gave DC one year with many of their new books. Thre are NO "great" titles.It's all been done before. I read all these sories back in 86 with the original crisis. Since then it's been nothing but reboot after reboot. That tells me 2 things:
    wonderwoman
    aquaman
    batman and robin
    demon knights
    redhood and the outlaws
    I'm so bored with this martyrdom routine, this halo all you X-men love to polish. Self-described soldiers adorned in an "X" with no dedication to what it actually stands for.

  3. #18
    Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gotham City Library
    Posts
    7,185

    Default

    I like Gamora's older look, but the excuse that a female character has to run around in a skimpy costume because it's part of who she is gets to be a pretty tiresome one.



  4. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Username View Post
    I like Gamora's older look, but the excuse that a female character has to run around in a skimpy costume because it's part of who she is gets to be a pretty tiresome one.


    So batman running around with a bat symbol on his chest, well that's pretty tiresome........GAMORA is the most dangerous woman in the universe, she does not need leftover MASS EFFECT ARMOUR ! The fact that she wears skimpy clothing puts her adversaries off balance, they dismiss her and she uses this to her advantage.
    Pull list: Almost every Marvel book, Age of Bronze, Captain Midnight, some Dynamite & Image. I AM DC COMIC FREE!

  5. #20
    Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gotham City Library
    Posts
    7,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maidman View Post
    So batman running around with a bat symbol on his chest, well that's pretty tiresome........GAMORA is the most dangerous woman in the universe, she does not need leftover MASS EFFECT ARMOUR ! The fact that she wears skimpy clothing puts her adversaries off balance, they dismiss her and she uses this to her advantage.
    You're comparing a bat on Batman's costume to Gamora running around mostly naked? The reality is that she wears skimpy clothing so fanboys have something to fap to; whatever in-story excuse they come up with is BS. There's nothing wrong with cleavage, legs, or midriff, but costumes like Gamora's previous (not original) costume or Psylocke's were just ridiculous.

  6. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The irish geek View Post
    You know I really really wanted to like this book. I mean no one more then I wanted to like this book. I mean Steve is a good artist and Bendis well the man is usually a good writer who will knock the ball out of the park. I loved his work on the avengers, Secret Invasion. Siege and even some of his X men work. So what I am about to say is somewhat painful since I do not like bashing Bendis since he is a good writer in my book.

    Sadly this series is just pathetic. I mean my god is it disappointing. I mean my good under DnA they were in space fight battles against a religious space church that was powered by the faith of their worth-shippers and allowed them to do insane things while also helping to unleash some truly insane and horrific beings from beyond the universe to say the least. The engaged in peace keeping missions in a galactic version of the UN. They went time traveling and universe jumping. They fought to stop a universal invasion by a marvel universe corrupted by Lovecraft-en horrors from beyond the vale along side the full extent of the Marvel cosmic universe. So admittedly the bar has been set high by DnA and i didn't expect Bendis to match it or even come close.

    Instead he has missed the bar completely, changed characters drastically given them horrible redesigned costumes and for a book that promises high science fiction concepts with space battles and forces from higher plans, cosmic diplomacy and so on. Instead we are focused on earth for the first 2 issues which just happens to be Star lords home-world now even though he never gave it any special thought before and focusing more on the universe as a whole.

    suddenly the Badoon are a big cosmic threat. also why is the brood and the badoon and Annihilus allowed at the big galactic council table. All three have proven to not give a damn about diplomacy and freedom and given a chance would take over the universe without a second thought. So they are invited to the big table of galactic powers WHY? Also what the hell is the all Mother, wheres Odin and what is Asgardia?"

    Next why all the sudden Father/Son issue with Star-lord. You know that has not been mentioned in any of the other Cosmic books in a long time. Why suddenly bring that up when it looked like it was a mute issue. Finally

    "This may be the first time I've read a comic with Rocket Raccoon in it, but the appeal of the character -- at least as Bendis writes him -- is instant."

    Ya am Pal.... go read another book with Rocket Raccoon, preferable by DnA but anyone else will do. Because what we are getting is Rocket Lite like Rocket Raccoon proper. Seriously it was weird reading Bendis's Dialogue. The only part he got right was Rockets's relationship with Groot.

    Also the costumes. I am sorry they just frigging suck badly. Look Steve wanted to leave a mark on this series but what he left feels like the left overs of the New 52 rather then something original and more importantly GOOD.

    Overall this issue was a let down but that just continues the theme that this volume has established and I would recommend go read DnA book or the cosmic event Annihilation. Both are far better at exploring the cosmic side of Marvel then this book. Also Bendis i love ya as a writer but man we both know your better then this come on wheres the A game mate.
    I agree with everything you've written. Maybe Bendis will find his feet with this title - I remember when he took on New/Mighty Avengers and people were claiming that he couldn't write a 'Superhero book' and their contrasting styles (one gritty and ground level character driven drama and the other a lofty large scale heroics driven book).

    For me it seems like Bendis has taken the Mighty Avengers approach and this book reads like 'Space Avengers', shallow and lacking character driven elements, whereas what I was hoping for was Space Opera full of melodrama and romance with a massive Galactic battle as the backdrop...

    But worse of all there are just too many holes and unanswered questions:

    How did Drax come back from the dead after Thanos killed him in another dimension?

    How did Peter Quill - the least likely to survive a dying Universe out of Thanos, Nova and himself - survive?

    What happened to the other members of the Guardians of the Galaxy, Jack Flag, Moondragon, Mantis, Major Victory and Cosmo.

    I also hate the costumes. To be honest I just cannot connect to the book in the same way I did with its previous iteration.

  7. #22
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,463

    Default

    1.) would i prefer her classic outfit, HELL YES
    2.) however i kinda like the new one a bit and if anybody can draw detailed plated complex outfits well its steve micniven!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zen-aku View Post
    I agree but blame all the overly bitchy fangirls who get mad at that shit i guess,

    1.) i mean did you see what DC did to Poison ivy
    2.) Luckily it looks like Angela will but filling out the cheescake Quota
    1.) yes and while i love classic ivy and i kinda like the new outfit, it makes her more sinister and mysterious visually (depends on the artist)
    2.) thankfully. (would still prefer the green chick)

  8. #23
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Username View Post
    You're comparing a bat on Batman's costume to Gamora running around mostly naked? The reality is that she wears skimpy clothing so fanboys have something to fap to; whatever in-story excuse they come up with is BS. There's nothing wrong with cleavage, legs, or midriff, but costumes like Gamora's previous (not original) costume or Psylocke's were just ridiculous.
    1.) the reality of it is comics are FANTASY, fantastic elements such as omg a character that actually likes displaying her beauty and sexuality for the universe to see, should not be excluded
    2.) the reality of it is, your being presumptuous and judgemental, i like cheesecake in comics but it has nothing to freaking do with fapping, and even if it does for some, its none of your business and your opinion on what should and shouldnt be in comics are just as valid as theirs.
    3.) the reality of it is, the outfits level of ridiculous, go back to #1 FANTASY, we have gods fighting cosmic firebirds, its fiction, ridiculous in whatever way can make for very enjoyable times for readers wether from the reading point of view or a visual point of view.

  9. #24
    Member Zomling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Sceptered Isle
    Posts
    920

    Default

    Not a truly terrible issue, but the characterisation of RR was dire as was the dig at Captain Britain.

    I want to see the GoTG in space where they belong, not dithering around on Earth dealing with father issues that Quill wrapped up around 20 years ago when Claremont wrote him.

    Like Nova, all of the recent character development of the Guardians seems to have been dropped.

    I want to like this title, but so far it's failing to do it for me.

  10. #25
    Junior Member RX-78-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Username View Post
    You're comparing a bat on Batman's costume to Gamora running around mostly naked? The reality is that she wears skimpy clothing so fanboys have something to fap to; whatever in-story excuse they come up with is BS. There's nothing wrong with cleavage, legs, or midriff, but costumes like Gamora's previous (not original) costume or Psylocke's were just ridiculous.
    There is a smidgeon of practicality, in that less clothing offers more range of motion. As soon as I put on jeans and a jacket, I have a lot less room to stretch. I can at least attempt the splits without pants, not a chance with. I don't see any type of armor offering that kinda freedom of motion, unless it's her old, dirty, loose gym clothes.

    Her old costume had leggings and sleeves, but wasn't much better. It covered her extremities, but stilled allowed for a lot of cleavage, IMO.

    Also, this is the age of the internet, there's better fap material than a few panels in a comic book, jeez. It's called rule34 ;)

  11. #26
    Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gotham City Library
    Posts
    7,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Movieartman View Post
    1.) the reality of it is comics are FANTASY, fantastic elements such as omg a character that actually likes displaying her beauty and sexuality for the universe to see, should not be excluded
    2.) the reality of it is, your being presumptuous and judgemental, i like cheesecake in comics but it has nothing to freaking do with fapping, and even if it does for some, its none of your business and your opinion on what should and shouldnt be in comics are just as valid as theirs.
    3.) the reality of it is, the outfits level of ridiculous, go back to #1 FANTASY, we have gods fighting cosmic firebirds, its fiction, ridiculous in whatever way can make for very enjoyable times for readers wether from the reading point of view or a visual point of view.
    I don't think Gamora's cape conveniently being blown out of the way so we can see her ass-cheeks hanging out of her suit is a sign of beauty. There's nothing wrong with a little cheesecake, but that extent that her previous costume takes it has no place in mainstream comics.

    Quote Originally Posted by RX-78-2 View Post
    There is a smidgeon of practicality, in that less clothing offers more range of motion. As soon as I put on jeans and a jacket, I have a lot less room to stretch. I can at least attempt the splits without pants, not a chance with. I don't see any type of armor offering that kinda freedom of motion, unless it's her old, dirty, loose gym clothes.

    Her old costume had leggings and sleeves, but wasn't much better. It covered her extremities, but stilled allowed for a lot of cleavage, IMO.

    Also, this is the age of the internet, there's better fap material than a few panels in a comic book, jeez. It's called rule34 ;)
    My issue isn't the practicality of the costume. She can have a wide range of motion without wearing a thongkini that has a plunge past her navel. Her first costume was pretty alright most of the time. It showed a good bit of cleavage (some artists took it a little far sometimes), but not to the ridiculousness her previous redesign was.

    For the record, I don't want Gamora in Mass Effect armor either.

  12. #27
    Junior Member TheDarkness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Being a huge fan of Drax, I don't understand why he doesn't fight with his blades? Why is that on all covers you see him with two short swords and in the comicbook he fights with an axe??? That's disappointing!


  13. #28
    Senior Member THANOSRULES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Xandar
    Posts
    1,036

    Default

    -GOTG#2 was a very good issue...

    Bendis is really hitting this series on the kind of note I had hoped Loeb would for Nova. I have been very critical of Nova, even though I do support (meaning buy) the book..and so far this GOTG title under Bendis has been more what i was looking for.

    I'm not sure where the "haters" are coming from on this one...I've frankly only noticed minor changes, and one could expect Bendis to provide something like this to define his direction. So Gamora has more armor, and yes the new Star Lord Armor is lackluster (bring back the old suit plz) but my general feel of this series is that Bendis has read the DnA stuff and we are building off what they did...and not pretending something didnt even happen.

    In all honesty, making fun of Gamora's costume and things like that...those are the things comic creators just laugh about fans on. It's ridiculous to hate a series becuase you dont like the look of Gamora.

    Yes, Bendis is forging some new directions, and to an extent they've been sorta done before, but so far the execution has been sound. Quill's father is an interesting character and I'm very interested in this Spartanx direction.

    McNiven's artwork is awesome on the title, and he is a great fit for the book.

    All in all this is probably my "non avengers" favorite book at marvel...it's two strong issues for Bendis.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •