Page 1 of 52 123451151 ... LastLast

Default IRON MAN 3 - Reviews & Reactions - *SPOILERS!!!*

I didn't see a definitive thread for posting about IM3, and since it has been released in some non-US territories, I figured we needed a safe space to discuss it without spoiling.

I just got back from seeing it (in Canberra Australia), so here are some thoughts (reported from the other thread):

My initial reaction: It's really, really good. Not better than Avengers, but better than any of the other solo films, including IM 1&2. Way more satisfying in terms of building up the emotional stakes, with epic payoffs, reams and reams of quotable witty banter, and FINALLY a third act which is epic enough to justify the buildup.

Some random thoughts:

I was annoyed that Pepper donned the armour so early on in what was essentially a throwaway moment (I think it must have been added to the script at the last minute) and so I was extra worried that she would sit out the final battle as a damsel in distress. So her final ass-kicking moment was VERY appreciated.

The reveal about the Mandarin's true nature was ******** brilliant! Ben Kingsley is a comic genius in that scene. And it's not just hilarious, it's also a brilliant satire of the glamourization of terrorism by the government and media.

The kid was fricken adorable. They should write him into the comics like they did with Agent Coulson.

Not enough Rhodey, but when he was on screen he made it count!

Hilarious after credit sequence.
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

Seriously? I can't be the only one on CBR from Australia or somewhere else outside the US.
    I really want to talk about this film! ARGH. This is so frustrating.
    After so many years of having to wait weeks or even months for something to come to Australia from the US, now the tables are turned and its still irritating!
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

I went to a midnight showing in the UK. I loved it, great story and I can't think of a way the action could of been better. The Manderin twist put me in a state of shock and now that's subsided I can safely say it was incredible. Like when I saw the Avengers I feel like I've been slapped in the face with awesomeness and I'll have to go back tomorrow to take it all in properly

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    I went to a midnight showing in the UK. I loved it, great story and I can't think of a way the action could of been better. The Manderin twist put me in a state of shock and now that's subsided I can safely say it was incredible. Like when I saw the Avengers I feel like I've been slapped in the face with awesomeness and I'll have to go back tomorrow to take it all in properly
    What's really interesting is seeing some posts from people who are really p***ed off about the Mandarin twist, because they wanted to see the classic old-school supervillain Mandarin from the comics.
    I'm like: I get where you're coming from, but how could you be unhappy with what we got?

Just watched it here in the Philippines!

Iron Man 3 was great.

It's filled with action and humor, what you'd expect from a Marvel film nowadays. Plus, the character performances are among the best the MCU has ever seen. RDJ, Ben Kingsley, and Guy Pearce knock it out of the park.

However, there are some plot points which might disappoint some comic book fans, and the second act isn't perfectly paced.

But overall, a great start for Marvel's Phase 2.

7.5/10

I was expecting Classic Mandarin, and what we got was even better. I agree with the above, the acting is superb throughout, and really makes the movie work well as there is a lot of dialogue and "quiet scenes" in between the action. CGI is outstanding and really sells the suit and Iron Man premise, particularly wearing of the suit, acquiring the pieces, jumping in and out of it all looked realistic and not blatant green screens.

There was ton of humor in there, the kid was pretty annoying to start off with but grew on me.

The best Iron Man film, possibly as good as the Avengers but if not has definitely raised the bar in terms of Marvels single character films.

The Mandarin is one of the best bad guys ever. After the trailers you just cant see that coming but it was so hilarious. Im sure people will rage but it was so amazing. Loved the start with Blue coming on. Set the mood instantly for me. I think its my favourite solo film now but Im not sure. Its between Iron Man 1 and 3 on which I prefer. So many good things to comment on.
    Reading: The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Batman, Hawkeye, The Wake, superman unchained, avengers AI, xmen
    LiamWUL Games Development

Love being an Aussie right now, getting to see this before everyone else :-).

Loved this movie. It was the best of the three with great characterization. The Mandarin twist was huge and unexpected, I was torn between loving it, but it so so well done and out of left field, and hating it because you miss out on the classic Mandarin vs Iron Man battle. Loving it won out because the rest of the movie was an unexpected delight. Guy peirce did a great job as the villain. I wonder if the Mandarin's most wuoted line from the trailers "You'll never see me coming" was a deliberate hint that we'll never see the twist coming.

Does anyone else think the Extremis upgrade to people are a nod to the Melter? I don't know if it was deliberate but the whole movie I kept thinking "Melter!" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbering Fool View Post
    Love being an Aussie right now, getting to see this before everyone else :-).

Loved this movie. It was the best of the three with great characterization. The Mandarin twist was huge and unexpected, I was torn between loving it, but it so so well done and out of left field, and hating it because you miss out on the classic Mandarin vs Iron Man battle. Loving it won out because the rest of the movie was an unexpected delight. Guy peirce did a great job as the villain. I wonder if the Mandarin's most wuoted line from the trailers "You'll never see me coming" was a deliberate hint that we'll never see the twist coming.
    Yeah, I think that line seems extra cool in retrospect.
    What I especially like is that they've spent millions of dollars on an advertising campaign which is basically one big misdirecting con job.

Does anyone else think the Extremis upgrade to people are a nod to the Melter? I don't know if it was deliberate but the whole movie I kept thinking "Melter!" lol.
    Yeah, definitely similar to the Melter, but it was also the powers the bad guy had in the original Extremis miniseries.

Just started laughing when I saw this quote in the other thread

The Chinese government has problems with the only Chinese charaters in movies being the bad guy.
    Its such a fantastically ridicolous twist.
    Reading: The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Batman, Hawkeye, The Wake, superman unchained, avengers AI, xmen
    LiamWUL Games Development

I liked it. Certainly better than the previous one. The Mandarin reveal was hilarious. I also liked the kid.
    Last edited by Meadow; 04-25-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Overall a pretty enjoyable film, there aren't much fighting not until the very end, but it was worth it as it was the only exciting final battle among the trilogy. Solid performance from the casts. Ben Kingsley's 'Mandarin' stole the show. He was hilarious in it. Kinda disappointed with the bad guy though. Too one noted evil. Being left on the ceiling made you crazy, that's it?

I don't like what they were doing with Pepper though. I have no problem with strong female character and Pepper is one. I enjoy her character a lot. However, was it necessary for her to be infected with Extremis, gained superpowers and ended up killing Killian? I felt it was forced on us and served no purpose (well, it seems RDJ wanted it that way). Tony's effective use of Mark 42 to beat Killian was way more impressive. I just felt that it seems there are trends of trying to make every major female characters capable of kicking asses physically.

Rhodes is really, really underused. Iron Patriot/War Machine was useless in the last film, and now useless in this as well.

Another thing that irks me is that development of the suits. Ever since the second trailer, we know the coming of the Iron Man army and I have been worrying about the quality over quantity issue ever since. For me, part of the Iron Man film charm is to watch new armor debuts, what it can do etc. In this third film, we have entire army of Iron Men. While they look visually different, they really don't do anything other than shooting laser beams. I used to enjoy the development of Mark I to the most recent Mark VII, all feature logical development, some with special gimmick, some just recoloured or remodified to fit new technology. Now we have bunch of different suits which supposedly serve different purposes, but we don't see them shine in the movie. They are just...there. Also, it seems the armors are made of tin cans or something. Easily tore through or blown up by explosives. I remember the armors to be more stronger than that.

I do enjoy the main suit Mark 42. I am surprised that as a prototype suit, it doesn't feature much weaponary and is much weaker than I expected. I like the creative uses of it. However, if Jarvis is capable of commanding 30 ish suits and destroy entire Extremis army (arguably better than how Tony did it), one can't help but wonder why Tony will bother to get into the suit if he can remote control them so effectively.

Overall, 8/10
    "Criminals are a cowardly, superstitious lot." - Dick Grayson
    "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard." - Damian Wayne

Great action and a great story. But the humor fell flat for me. It wasn't funny, and that kid was very annoying. The bad humor nearly ruined what is otherwise a great film.

And I don't like the Mandarin twist. It ruins what up to that point was shaping up to be a great villain.
    Last edited by Arvandor; 04-25-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

I just got back from seeing it and although i enjoyed it but i did feel a bit pissed with the whole Mandarin reveal and to the point i was like what the fuck?. It just wasn't for me and like a previous poster said i also feel it ruined what was shaping up to be a great villain. They took the Mandarin who is a fantastic villain from the comics and basically never used any of his qualities or what made him who he is, There wasn't even anything about the rings which pissed me off.

There was some good humour mixed with some that felt really forced and overall i just felt there was a little too much of it. Of course there is going to be humour due to who Tony is but i when i said it felt forced at times i think he even made a joke in the final battle just after Pepper had fallen to her death and Tony thought he had killed Aldritch by blowing him up inside the suit. I don't think even Tony Stark would make a joke at a time when he thinks he just lost the love of his life.

The action scenes were brilliant though and the scenes especially with the different armours were the best bits about the film but i can't help but wish the the movie stuck around the real Mandarin and not the comedy villain he became.

I didn't like it at all. 2 1/2 hours of Tony Stark getting his butt kicked with no pay-off what-so-ever. I honestly cannot understand this gushing paise. This is X-Men 3 all over again.