Default What Did You Read - April 2013

Hey! Guess whose work internet filter no longer blocks forums? So with two days left, let's talk about the month of April!

Daredevil by Mark Waid vols 2 & 3--Enjoying this series immensely. Spidey's line "I think this is my supervillain secret origin." is joining the ranks of favoritest lines of dialogue ever.

Winter Soldier vol. 3: Black Widow Hunt TP--This series has been (IMO) the best thing Brubaker has done in the Marvel Universe and I have unreservedly loved his Cap and DD runs. So I feel like a whiny fanboy for saying the ending to this volume just ruined it all for me. Your individual mileage may vary on that score.

Hawkeye vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon TP--Good. Very, very good. The online reviewers seem to like it more than I do, but I still highly recommend it. Totally could have done without the Young Avengers issue in the back. I would have preferred it include issue #6 or for it to have a dollar or two shaved off by dropping the YA issue.

Fatale vol. 2: Devil's Business TP--I feel bad that I have nothing original to say other than I love this. Like every other freakin' thing I've read by Brubaker & Phillips! :)

Green Lantern vol. 2: Revenge of the Black Hand HC--Like the rest of Johns's GL run, I liked this. The mystery of the Indigo Tribe was one of the few comic mysteries that I did want explained, and Johns did not let me down with the reveal. HOWEVER, I've noticed the slightest of shifts in Hal's personality since the New 52 relaunch. Not a terribly drastic change, but I'm finding him more immature and annoying than he was pre-52. I'm starting to prefer Sinestro and wondering if there is way that he can permanently replace Hal on the book.

Atomic Robo Real Science Adventures TP--Vaguely disappointing. :(

Atomic Robo vol. 7: Flying She-Devils of the Pacific TP--Not at all disappointing! :D A solid Robo adventure.

Spaceman Dlx HC--I liked it a lot. I do feel that Risso's art was tad more straightforward than it has been in the past, but he did a fantastic job of making the main character, Orson, so sympathetic.

Sixth Gun vol. 4: A Town Called Penance TP--Serious contender for Eric's Favorite Series of the Last Five Years.

EM

It's good to have this thread back. I had given up on it because I seemed to be keeping it going single-handedly.

But I still kept track of what I read...

Crossed v1 - Ellis's take on zombies that aren't really zombies. Good stuff - massively depraved though.

New X-Men v1-7 (re-reads) - Good fun. Quitely's art is sublime. Van Schiver's and Jimeneze's is servicable. Poor Igor Kordey's has flashes of being really good interspersed with work that's just too rushed. At the time I read it though I got the impression that we were supposed to recognise the name of the villain reveal at the end. A trip to Wikipedia shows me that he was introduced in the New X-Men Annual that Marvel saw fit to leave out of the TPBs.

New X-Men Annual 2001 - Luckily a colleague at work gave me his copy as he's getting rid of his comics. I'm a bit annoyed really. It's not really a particularly good issue, but what it does do is set up Xorn, the U-Men and the main Villain of Here Comes Tomorrow. Reading this in the right place would have really helped me enjoy the whole series.

Wonder Woman v1: Blood - Generally I like Azzarello's take on Wonder-Womana and love Clifff Chiang's art. The ending was so obscure as to be meaningless though. I really don't know what happened, but it felt like a deus ex machina ending and left a bad taste in my mouth.

Saucer County v1: Run - I started reading this just after I found out the series is cancelled. It's a promising start, but there's no way they could wrap this up in the one remaining volume. Hopefully it will continue at another publisher.

Elephantmen v2: Fatal Diseases - Good fun as always. A tad over-decompressed as always too.

Special Forces - That was... strange. Kyle Baker's book has a good hard edge here about the US Military taking advantage of the mentally handicapped and felons. Overall though that was largely lost amongst an OTT action story with T+A art.

Incredible Hulk: Prelude to Planet Hulk - Definitely missable.

Planet Hulk Omnibus - Good fun. I really enjoyed this. My only real issue would be the abruptness of the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Saucer County v1: Run - I started reading this just after I found out the series is cancelled. It's a promising start, but there's no way they could wrap this up in the one remaining volume. Hopefully it will continue at another publisher.
    Looks like this is likely now: http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...n-as-february/

Planet Hulk does end, but then it continues into World War Hulk. It was a great story.

The Crossed stories only get even more depraved as they go on. Ennis doesn't continue to write all of it. Hine and Lapham do a lot of the other heavy lifting. There's not only a few mini's after that but a 3D 1-shot, a current ongoing, and the free web comic that posts every Thursday. I read all of it. :)

I managed to finish off my SILVER STREAK vol 1 HC which was pretty cool. Love those 1940's stories! I hope to get to more Crime Does Not Pay soon.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Quote Originally Posted by pmpknface View Post
    Planet Hulk does end, but then it continues into World War Hulk. It was a great story.
    Oh I know - I'm working through some of that stuff now. I just felt that the last issue's events were a bit too abrupt.

Also there's one thing I'm a little unclear about:
    spoilers:
    How much was destroyed? The book seems a bit inconsistent about whether just one city or the entire planet was destroyed.
    end of spoilers

I'm pretty sure that it's the former and not the latter. I guess when you see what happens next it will be made more clear because of the other circumstances.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

==>Dan RE: Ending of Planet Hulk
    Yeah, it was the smaller of the two. The Skaar--Son of Hulk series took place on the planet of Sakaar, after the Hulk's departure. It has been at least three years, but I do remember thinking that the first volume was entertaining. Very much a Robert Howard/Edgar Rice Burroughs type of adventure story: think Conan, Warlord of Mars. Volume two was not good and volume three was one of the worst comics I've ever read.

EM

Cheers. I will keep an eye open for the Skaar books.

Yeah, the story split in 2 after that. It eventually fragments into a few Skaar stories and I'd like to tell you the order to read them in but I'd need to look them up. I wasn't even sure how to file them after reading them all because it seemed like every title continued in 2 stories. Even Hulk stopped, became Hercules, then picked up at Incredible Hulk #600 again AFTER there was the HULK title based around the Red Hulk.

FYI, if you haven't read the Incredible Hercules book it's friggin' AWESOME!
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

I second the Pak & Van Lente Hercules books recommendation. The co-lead, Amadeus Cho, never grew on me, but Herc more than made up for it. You may have to look them up on Wikipedia to get the reading order though, because the trades are not numbered. Skip the World War Hulk volume though. The ongoing Herc storyline didn't kick in until the WWH aftermath.

If you try them and like them, pick up the Dark Avenger: Ares trade, because one of the two minis it collects is Oeming's Ares series from several years ago. The main villain in that series becomes pretty important around the third or fourth Herc trade.

EM

I liked both of those Ares mini's.

Mostly I'm just catching up on my issues and haven't read many tpb's lately. I've got maybe 12-15 issues to read but I'm all up on my Age of Ultron stuff which is pretty cool so far.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

I liked both of those Ares mini's.
    Oh, I loved the Kieron Gillen mini. Ares's all hands address to the H.A.M.M.E.R. troops, where he delineates the differences between him and his sister is one of my most favorite things ever written in the English language.

OK, slight exaggeration, but to a mythology & military nerd, it is a pretty awesome description.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...=1#post9917445

EM

EM

FYI, if you haven't read the Incredible Hercules book it's friggin' AWESOME!
    Quote Originally Posted by De Carabas View Post
    I second the Pak & Van Lente Hercules books recommendation. <snip> Skip the World War Hulk volume though. The ongoing Herc storyline didn't kick in until the WWH aftermath.
    As it happens I've got volumes 2-4 of The Incredible Hercules at home and volume 1 (WWH: Hercules) on route from America right now - so I will wait to read that first.

Quote Originally Posted by De Carabas View Post
    If you try them and like them, pick up the Dark Avenger: Ares trade, because one of the two minis it collects is Oeming's Ares series from several years ago. The main villain in that series becomes pretty important around the third or fourth Herc trade.
    Hmmm.... I've not been impressed with Oeming's writing so far - so I'm not sure about that.

I've not been impressed with Oeming's writing so far - so I'm not sure about that.
    The first think Oeming wrote that I liked was the Ragnarock / Avengers Dissambeled arc of Thor. That was pretty good, as was the Ares mini. I'm not too sure what else he's written that I've taken a liking to.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

I just looked him up on Wikipedia and I see he didn't actually write Bulletproof Monk which I thought he had. In that case the only things I've read written by him were Blood River and Six. Neither of those particularly grabbed me, but they weren't bad enough to make me stay away.