Default The old ACG line

Some ramblings on the old ACG line of comics, that lasted some 35 or so years.Time and again, in the letters pages, fans would ask for annuals such as dc was putting out. They never did.Not until I was able to read most of the back issues on line, was I able to really see, just how greatly the company was coasting along by reprinting.IF dark horse trims all these reprints off, their achive series will be shortened by several volumes.In 1969,dc turned strange adventures into a reprint book, adding "from beyond the unknown" a few months later, then going to 64 pages.they were great reprint titles.Perhaps if ACG, had done the same, they may have survived. The owner, had bad health,and needed someone to carry on for him. I think, that with a few more years, particulary after the code was relaxed in 1971, they could have made a go of it. Next to marvel and dc, ACG was my favorite company, tieing with gold key.

As a comic reader back in the early/mid 60s, I would rank ACG at #5 amongst the publishers at that time. Marvel and DC of course, as well as Tower Comics and Warren magazines I felt were ahead of the game. ACG had HERBIE, a great and unique comic. However their supernatural comics were quite tame. Characterization was their strength rather than chills and the artwork was competent but never outstanding. They totally failed in capitalizing on the Batman craze with the super-heroes they introduced. A shame they folded in the late 60s-Richard Hughes who wrote almost all their books couldn't find employment in the comics field and wound up working for Macy's in the personnel department.
    But again, HERBIE was excellant

Quote Originally Posted by Ish Kabbible View Post
    As a comic reader back in the early/mid 60s, I would rank ACG at #5 amongst the publishers at that time. Marvel and DC of course, as well as Tower Comics and Warren magazines I felt were ahead of the game. ACG had HERBIE, a great and unique comic. However their supernatural comics were quite tame. Characterization was their strength rather than chills and the artwork was competent but never outstanding. They totally failed in capitalizing on the Batman craze with the super-heroes they introduced. A shame they folded in the late 60s-Richard Hughes who wrote almost all their books couldn't find employment in the comics field and wound up working for Macy's in the personnel department.
    But again, HERBIE was excellant
    I agree with this. Herbie was definitely the standout and exception in the AGC output. In the beginning, during the pre-code days, Forbidden Worlds and Adventures into the Unknown (also Skeleton Hand and Out of the Night) featured some stand-out art by Harry Lazarus, Ogden Whitney, Al Williamson and others) but as the years wore on they seemed like a bit of a poor man's DC, reminding this reader of National titles like Mystery in Space and Strange Adventures. The clean and clear art style of guys like Whitney (of whom i am a big fan) John Rosenberger and John Forte not by accident even recalls the DC house style, as many of the ACG artists also worked on DC books.

I like AGC, but I can see why, in the absence of any renewal, they were bound to fade and perish. On the other hand their line of romance comics has always intrigued me. The old Comic Book Marketplace had a great feature on these dubious titles by the fine writer Michelle Nolan. I'd love to see a collection of some of ACG's pre-code romance books. Maybe PS Artbooks, currently rerunning a lot of ACG comics, will come through...

Quote Originally Posted by Ish Kabbible View Post
    They totally failed in capitalizing on the Batman craze with the super-heroes they introduced.
    My recollection is that the ACG heroes, Magicman and Nemesis, actually preceded the Batman boom by a short time.

In any case, while I never got into the ACG horror books or Herbie either, I greatly enjoyed Magicman and Nemesis.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

ACG was way before my time, but it seems like the earlier stuff was the best, and yes, Herbie was great.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am