Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default How smart is Tony Stark compared to Marvel's other geniuses?

Recently, in stories like Indestructible Hulk and A+X, Tony's been portrayed as one of the "dumber" smart guys in the Marvel Universe. Bruce out and out insults him as being unoriginal and mentally limited. Beast gets a few jabs in whilst asking for Tony's help on a project. So, yeah. Is Tony's genius overrated? Or are these writers just downing on him for comedic/dramatic effect?

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ACS View Post
    Recently, in stories like Indestructible Hulk and A+X, Tony's been portrayed as one of the "dumber" smart guys in the Marvel Universe. Bruce out and out insults him as being unoriginal and mentally limited. Beast gets a few jabs in whilst asking for Tony's help on a project. So, yeah. Is Tony's genius overrated? Or are these writers just downing on him for comedic/dramatic effect?
    he's around in most futures. he couldn't be that dumb.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

BANNED

LOL @ beast making fun of another scientist.

T'Challa's definitely smarter than Tony. Beast probably is as well. Hank has more varied areas of expertise than Tony, which implies that he could definitely be smarter than him, having the ability to understand such varied fields (Hank was originally a biochemist, according to a panel I saw not that long ago, and he's also done work with artificial intelligence, robotics and entomology through the ants; Tony leans more towards physics, maths and engineering, which have more straightforward links).

But when it comes to the suits? Tony's the smartest and, given that's the area he usually works in, that's all he needs to be the best at. It would be another story entirely if he was supposed to be the best in one of the fields one of the other characters focuses.

And Bruce doesn't exactly call Tony mentally limited. He just says that Tony's more likely to build on what he's already done (his suits) than start something from scratch, as Bruce is currently doing. Mentally limited compared to Bruce, maybe, but not mentally limited as a whole.
    Bobbi Morse: has been on three Avengers teams, worked for SHIELD, evaded the Skrulls for years, received the super soldier serum and Infinity Formula. Still not even a limited series.

When reading older comics I get the impression that Bruce Banner is a brillian scientist, but not one of the top minds in the world. The kind of guy that could understand how a spaceship works, maybe even repair it, but not design and build it on his own. They have made Banner a lot smarter since WWH.

About Beast, he seemed to be above Banner but below Pym, Stark and Richards in term of genious. His highest scientific achievement was that serum that made him blue...

Pym is more versatile than Tony. Tony is the best engineer, but Pym is a great biochemist, physicist and electronic engineer.

Richards is definetively smarter than Tony.

Tony is better than T'Challa as scientist and engineer, but T'Challa is smarter than Tony outside Tony's specialties (he's wiser, more sensible and a better tactician).
    Last edited by Habis; 04-26-2013 at 04:50 PM.

FF purist-snob

I'm reminded of Big Bang Theory when Sheldon makes fun of Howard for being a mere engineer and not a theoretical physicist.

But, in any case, wouldn't it be safer to make fun of Stark as opposed to Banner?
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkingbird13 View Post
    T'Challa's definitely smarter than Tony. Beast probably is as well. Hank has more varied areas of expertise than Tony, which implies that he could definitely be smarter than him, having the ability to understand such varied fields (Hank was originally a biochemist, according to a panel I saw not that long ago, and he's also done work with artificial intelligence, robotics and entomology through the ants; Tony leans more towards physics, maths and engineering, which have more straightforward links).

But when it comes to the suits? Tony's the smartest and, given that's the area he usually works in, that's all he needs to be the best at. It would be another story entirely if he was supposed to be the best in one of the fields one of the other characters focuses.

And Bruce doesn't exactly call Tony mentally limited. He just says that Tony's more likely to build on what he's already done (his suits) than start something from scratch, as Bruce is currently doing. Mentally limited compared to Bruce, maybe, but not mentally limited as a whole.
    Maria Hill's accessment was that Banner is jealous of Stark.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'm reminded of Big Bang Theory when Sheldon makes fun of Howard for being a mere engineer and not a theoretical physicist.

But, in any case, wouldn't it be safer to make fun of Stark as opposed to Banner?
    Stark's the one with the doomsday device.

Lately Tony is being jobbed outside of his own title when it comes to his level of genius. Yet Reed, him and T'Challa are the go to guys when it comes to needing a scientific solution to problems. The story in Indestructible Hulk was meant to play up Bruce and it comes at the expense of Tony. They did the same thing with Hank Pym in Mighty Avengers. So take all of this with a grain of salt.
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.

Banner is not that impressive in my opinion. Pym is good but you gotta take the great with the screwups. Reed is obviously pure greatness. Tony is brilliant but a bit less varied in terms of what fields of science and engineering he does. Beast is great in science and engineering but not so much tactically or strategically. T'Challa is great and well rounded. Doom is obviously great and the most well rounded when accounting for Magic.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    Maria Hill's accessment was that Banner is jealous of Stark.
    Yeah, jealous of Tony always getting recognition for everything he does, while everything Bruce does will always come after "HULK SMASH!" Poor Bruce.
    Bobbi Morse: has been on three Avengers teams, worked for SHIELD, evaded the Skrulls for years, received the super soldier serum and Infinity Formula. Still not even a limited series.

I've always had Stark below Reed and Doom, but above just about everyone else (anyone human, anyway).

That said, Waid is trying really hard to get Banner to Stark's level, if not higher. So far, I'm not really buying it though.

T'challa MIGHT be higher, but what Stark did with Broxton/New Asgardia was pretty impressive.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

I generally put him on the same level as Pym and Banner. Effectively polymaths, but, depending on the writer, maybe a little more specialized and a little less versatile than Richards or Doom.

That said, they're all plot-device smart (as are the rest of the usual suspects), so it's a distinction with very little difference.
    Expletive Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by ACS View Post
    Is Tony's genius overrated? Or are these writers just downing on him for comedic/dramatic effect?
    Well, if these Marvel writers knew Marvel history, they'd know that way back in Iron Man #150, Tony Stark and Dr. Doom created a time machine from parts of their own armors, to return from King Arthur's time. If that isn't amazingly genius, i don't know what is! LOL

I think almost everyone can universally agree as far as the top minds in the MU are concerned, Reed and Doom top the list.

Everyone after this falls into sort of a grey area.

I think guys like Stark, Pym, T'Challa, and Banner all fall under the same second tier just below Reed and Doom. But I don't think it's possible to decisively say any one of them is necessarily smarter than the other.

Beast is arguably a notch below that... though he's actually got some nice tech feats under his belt in recent years... his stock might be rising quite a bit actually.