Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    If you ever read Adventures, you'd know he has an affinity for the character and doesn't (didn't) write him edgy.
    He wrote that a long time ago, and he seems incapable of doing anything remotely similar these days.

Also, I very much doubt he could be persuaded to work for DC. Nevermind that it's very well possible Grant Morrison will say his goodbyes to the company permanently when they replace him with his arch enemy as main Superman writer.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Also, I very much doubt he could be persuaded to work for DC.
    I suspect all DC would have to say is "Superman" and Mark Millar would be back like a shot.

The problem is that right now I'm not sure DC would have him - which is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Nevermind that it's very well possible Grant Morrison will say his goodbyes to the company permanently when they replace him with his arch enemy as main Superman writer.
    Yeah, that might be an issue.

Lets not forget that he is supposedly some sort of Creative Consultant for the Marvel properties that are under Fox Studio's banner aka wanting to make some sort of shared universe with X-Men and Fantastic 4. Whether he's actually done anything yet (as he was clearly no involved in anyway in The Wolverine and Days of Future Past) remains to be seen.

So there's yet another conflict of interest.

Senior Member greatmetropolitan's Avatar

Mark Millar used to talk on twitter often about his love for Superman and the great things he'd heard about the upcoming JLA movie project.

Then he got the Fox position. And all of a sudden he's giving interviews about how a JLA movie would never work and now Superman is uninteresting. It's not a coincidence, the man is mercenary.

He's very good at publicity, and has certainly made himself a lot of money, but that's about the best I can say about him.
    Buy or download my first self published comic, Taking Flight!
    Available at www.laseragecomics.co.uk

What I'm finding interesting is the reaction to Jeff Parker/Chris Samnee's Superman book, even by hardcore Superman fans on this board.

This was a story that was executed perfectly, very much in the style of the Mark Millar "Adventures" books that we all laud (frankly, I think it's an overrated run myself, with little in the way of innovation and much in the way of regurgitation, occasionally some wonderful execution). ANd yet, I hear a lot of 'boring'.

And I'm not too terribly surprised. When All Star Superman was coming out, it wasn't doing nearly the numbers one might have expected, despite being...well, brilliant.

I think there is a market for those books, but I don't think it's the comic reading public, and looking at reactions here I can see why DC has tried to distance itself from that Super Boy Scout mentality more than ever.

Because while I, too, enjoy the tone and energy and high concept nature of "Lobdell's" Superman when it is actually working, the Adventures book was INFINITELY more polished and clear in terms of character and theme. That was, simply put, a better put together book in terms of execution.

ANd yet a lot of the reaction seemed to be middling to negative, outside of the comics blogosphere.

It's just an interesting phenomenon, I think.

Grant Morrison's reformulation I think is a nice balance of the new and the old, putting forth the idea that he'll grow into the 'boring' Superman, but right now he's a bit rawer. Still, the inevitability of that end point might hurt the appeal, who knows. I guess that little write up I did was a little more accurate than I would like it to be, at least of the comics buying public.

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blog...-our-sins.html

I'm not sure any big fan of DC is going to be able to deliver what the mass audience wants. Even I, not a fan of Superman per se but the whole DCU milieu, would default naturally to a more traditional take on the character, I think.

Editors certainly have their work cut out for them.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I said it before and I'll say it again, you're right about why Superman has a hard time appealing to people today. Hell, look at the complaints after Morrison went from issue one to issue two of his Action Comics run. People started getting pissed at the idea of the Silver Age elements coming into play and instead wanted to see more Golden Age Superman, who was hurting people and not giving two shits about it. Not to mention that Morrison's entire stint couldn't even hit number one on the charts is telling, but his Batman run could.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    I said it before and I'll say it again, you're right about why Superman has a hard time appealing to people today. Hell, look at the complaints after Morrison went from issue one to issue two of his Action Comics run. People started getting pissed at the idea of the Silver Age elements coming into play and instead wanted to see more Golden Age Superman, who was hurting people and not giving two shits about it. Not to mention that Morrison's entire stint couldn't even hit number one on the charts is telling, but his Batman run could.
    Thanks Mat, and your point is well taken.

But I DO think it's worth pointing out - for those of us who love that stuff - that there does appear to be a greater audience out there, yes? Again, All Star Superman - heavily pushed and promoted, two of the biggest guys in the business, universally lauded in terms of reviews - was sellign surprisingly little at the time. I remember being shocked at seeing sales numbers in the 90 K; great for Superman (especially at the time) but really horrible for the synergistic mix.

But subsequently "All Star Superman" has become an ever-green book, one of the seminal runs in DC comics history; it's been turned into an animated movie, and has had elements of it directly lifted and put into the feature film.

People read it, eventually, is what I'm saying, but it's clearly a much, MUCH smaller market than the angstier books, and it's a market that demands an extremely high level of quality, a perfect execution, to go with all the Silver Age bombast.

Which means it is an extremely imprudent direction in which to go, because very few people are Alan Moore/Grant Morrison/Neil Gaiman.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/