Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    Valiant isn't quite the same without Turok, Solar, and Magnus.
    I agree. Those first twenty issues of Magnus were outstanding. It's too bad they can't bring him back. I can't imagine how much fun it would be to read a well written update of that series.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSpin View Post
    I like a lot of the new Valiant, but that's what I was thinking as well. Erica Pierce was a main villain for Solar and really the tipping point for their Unity -- not sure how this COULD play out without Solar.
    Soon there will be a story in A&A where the duo and Mary Maria will be going to the Faraway, Mary Maria is a strong candidate for the new Mothergod.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

I like Solar but I am kind of glad we don't have anyone in Valiant as powerful as him at this point (possible exception: Harada?)

Quote Originally Posted by thewarning View Post
    I like Solar but I am kind of glad we don't have anyone in Valiant as powerful as him at this point (possible exception: Harada?)
    I would love to see a Harada/Master Darque throw down at some point...that would be so bad ass.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Does Valiant currently have one "big bad" to tie everyone together? I'd say the closest thing is PRS/possibly the Vine, but even those don't touch every single story. Not that there needs to be one central villain necessarily, but I'd like to see a figure that "unites" the universe (couldn't resist there).
    Marvel, VALIANT, Archie

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

Awesome.

I do kind of wish they chose a different name to separate themselves from the Valiant of old, but all in all the teases and the upcoming proposed crossover seems like it will be cool. I hope it's kind of a quick crossover though, I don't want some long and drawn out line wide event that really accomplishes nothing in the end.

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

Think about it this way: Without licensed characters Valiant can grow their own properties into richly developed licenses that they can build upon and grow the way in which they please without worrying about losing them back to their owners for no reason at all. The new Valiant doesn't need them and it seems so much more fresh this way.

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    You're right...they're better
    +1 for my good friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    Think about it this way: Without licensed characters Valiant can grow their own properties into richly developed licenses that they can build upon and grow the way in which they please without worrying about losing them back to their owners for no reason at all. The new Valiant doesn't need them and it seems so much more fresh this way.
    While I generally agree with this train of thought, they need to be able to not write themselves in a hole if for some reason they are able to retain the rights of the lost characters from Random House. In other words if they supplement Doruk Raptor hunter, they need not to duplicate Toruk's origins if for some reason they are able to reacquire the rights. Same can be said for Solar and Magnus. It's really too bad that Random House and Valiant can not come to a compromise.
    Wisdom is conquered with patience

Quote Originally Posted by Cray_ws View Post
    While I generally agree with this train of thought, they need to be able to not write themselves in a hole
    why would they write themselves in a hole? they have plenty of characters already. it's not like marvel needed to borrow characters when they started. Or Malibu. Or Image. Or whatever other company. I'd feel more comfortable knowing they're working with characters they will own forever and can do with however they please.

The only one I truly miss is Turok...Solar a lesser second and I could pass on Magnus(despite getting the DH Shooter in '10).

Unity seems a great time to introduce a few characters. Rai of course, Erica Pierce, Visitor, Psi-Lords(I mean Q&W open the door for anything now).
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Default Indies: Valiant/ Unity Winter 2013

+1 for my good friend.
    When you think about it after initial announcements Dreamworks had secured rights for all 3 that there hasn't been squat from Dreamworks about the deal.It would be nice for purposes of clarification if they would release something and quash all the speculation once and for all.Unity has me jumping off single issue format and moving towards trades only.I'm not signing up for multiple books just for some drawnout crossover.

The only part I miss about not having those characters is the way Magnus (and Rai) tied the present day to 4001 AD. Other than that Valiant has been hitting it out of the park.
    They brought back Valiant, so does that mean we'll finally get a Defiant reboot? Please?

Yes, exactly. I'm looking forward to the new Valiant eventually introducing an entirely new character. Once that character carries a title the company will truly have come into it's own.
    They brought back Valiant, so does that mean we'll finally get a Defiant reboot? Please?

Quote Originally Posted by cometstarmoon View Post
    Yes, exactly. I'm looking forward to the new Valiant eventually introducing an entirely new character. Once that character carries a title the company will truly have come into it's own.
    I'm guessing you mean a hero cause the company has given us The 1%, Dox, Mr.Twist, Baron Samedi, The Brethren and Mary Maria for starters. The latter of which I could see becoming something special. Pending her next arc that's coming up and what they do with her.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Quote Originally Posted by odde View Post
    why would they write themselves in a hole? they have plenty of characters already. it's not like marvel needed to borrow characters when they started. Or Malibu. Or Image. Or whatever other company. I'd feel more comfortable knowing they're working with characters they will own forever and can do with however they please.
    There is an expectation or demand if you will for Solar, Turok, and Magnus simply because they are part of Valiant. The characters themselves are only a small part of the demand, the real appetite is to see those characters in Valiant universe. The editors, writers and even the publisher acknowledges that there's a desire for these characters. So what are they to do? What would Marvel do if Spider-man were gone? Make a clone to fill the niche. But in doing so you write yourself in a hole if it doesn't go over well with fans or if for sheer luck the publisher gets the original character back they'd be forced to retcon the whole thing. In other words Valiant has to commit....do they move on and create a new version of Solar, Turok, and Magnus (obviously not using the names) or do they completely ignore their readership's appetite and pretend that those characters never existed. Granted this is a new universe and total reboot, but there's an inclination from the average comic reader that we will see some form or substitute for the "missing" characters.

Personally I would create characters that can fill the void for missing ones, but at the same time make sure they can stand on their own if for chance the originals do return to Valiant ownership. I do completely different origins, but similar archetypes to the missing characters. However I'd be careful make their personalities completely different. So the only thing that should be the same would be the powers, but maybe with different twist that hasn't been done with the originals.
    Wisdom is conquered with patience