Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Cavilling Metropolitan Self-DCeit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Officersmile1466 View Post
    Great synopsis
    Well done, good sir. Well done, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Yep. It seems that existing in a place where time as we know it is malleable as will (since time is the 4th dimension, meaning their dimension is "Superior") means that everything is a circle, therefore Mxy goes to the king's court, makes him laugh, woe his daughter, takes the king's place when he gets killed by Vyndkvtx, loses his wife when gives birth, becomes depressed, and then Mxy goes to the king 's court, makes him laugh......It's us, it happened only once because time is linear, but to them, it's bound to happen over and over and over.......

Knowing that , it makes sense when Vyndktvx shouts that Mxyzptlk was the real villain. Everyone was playing his game.

That was an amazing synopsis. Even leaving out the Myxy stuff, it cut to the core of Morrison's ideal - Superman being timeless and part of everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    What I hear is that he did when he was younger, but stopped since.
    Well, he's got something going on alright.

I think he mostly experimented with drugs around the time of doom patrol and the invisibles. He kind of rebuilt himself after that and as far as I know he's been clean for ages and ages now.

It bothers me when people write off Morrison's action comic run as nonsense and then admit they bailed around issue 5 or 6. Is the run confusing? Yeah without a doubt. Is it far more confusing than it needs to be? Of course. But Morrison had a clear story he was telling for the majority of the time and it's wrong to wave it off as a bunch of nonsensical ravings of a drug user when that's not the case at all.

It's absolutely not for everyone and apart from issues 1-4,7 and 8 it is in no way a good comic for people new to superman or even to Morrison's writing. But it's a great story with some fantastically imaginative moments and ideas.

If I were to explain it, if would simply go like this:

Lots and lots of weird and silly things happened that probably won't be mentioned again as Superman grew from his blue jeans phase to a hero in a very all over the place type of run.

That's kind of how I view the entire run. Morrison's stuff was really out there this time around and in then end, I'm just left shrugging and caring so little about anything that happened.

The 5th dimensional being had also pulled strings in a seperate universe in order to create a demonic, corporate owned superman monster nicknamed Super-doomsday. This being is designed to be the polar opposite of our superman.

It is also shown that if Superman loses, it leaves the door open for a demon monster to destroy the world of the legion of super heroes. This leads to them travelling through time in an attempt to help him out.

Finally superman wins through the combined effort of the highly evolved beings, the legion, lex, lois, jimmy, his own awesomeness and every being on earth all at once.
    Super-doomsday is just Superdoom.
    The "demon-monster" in the Legion future is Universo (well known Legion villain)
    Highly evolved beings are Captain Comet and the Wanderers.

I think he mostly experimented with drugs around the time of doom patrol and the invisibles. He kind of rebuilt himself after that and as far as I know he's been clean for ages and ages now.

It bothers me when people write off Morrison's action comic run as nonsense and then admit they bailed around issue 5 or 6. Is the run confusing? Yeah without a doubt. Is it far more confusing than it needs to be? Of course. But Morrison had a clear story he was telling for the majority of the time and it's wrong to wave it off as a bunch of nonsensical ravings of a drug user when that's not the case at all.

It's absolutely not for everyone and apart from issues 1-4,7 and 8 it is in no way a good comic for people new to superman or even to Morrison's writing. But it's a great story with some fantastically imaginative moments and ideas.
    I actually like Action Comics a lot more after the blue jeans t shirt phase.

Granted I'm not a supporter of drug use. But I think Morrisons stuff only works well with certain characters.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    You all really enjoying having to use your brain on a comic book which I have always felt should be simple and straight forward.

Your better readers then me for sure.
    I like my mind stimulated by anything - movies, comics, the sky, my clothes, etc. But, I, somewhat like you, do feel that not every comic needs to be some intellectual tour de force. I know some posters around here feel that way, but I feel you on a certain level.

I believe there should be a balance, both in the industry in general and even in some specific mainstream titles. I think Morrison's AC run was somewhat "simple" enough initially, then got fairly "uhh...?" after the first year or so. But I definitely don't think it was as complex as some of his previous works. But aye, I enjoy both complex (Prophet, Ales Kot stuff kinda, Morrison, etc) and simple (typical superhero stuff) equally the same.
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote2010 View Post
    In the end also, wasn't Mxy actually the king himself?
    That would imply incest so no.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight12ify View Post
    That would imply incest so no.
    Seriously, check out issue 18 again. The queen that the king mourns is actually the woman Nimrod kills. Mxyzptlk's wife who gave birth to herself? He is a court jester to himself.